What would you like the see as the name of the original 8 clubs?

Now that we know that the 8 clubs will most likely be in these cities, what would you like to see them named?

BC/Surrey/Victoria

Calgary

Edmonton

Winnipeg

Hamilton

York (We already know they will be called York9 FC)

Ottawa

Halifax (Most likely Halifax Wanderers FC)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, shamrock said:

I hope they go with existing names (if they're available). So that's Calgary Foothills, Halifax Wanderers and Victoria Highlanders (hope so, anyway). 

Ownership for the BC team is different than the new ownership group the Highlanders have.

What would you name a Victoria team?

While Foothills have connections to the CPL team, I believe the ownership group will move towards a new name, as we have seen by the trademarked names such as Calgary FC and Cavalry FC.

1 minute ago, Xavier said:

Ownership for the BC team is different than the new ownership group the Highlanders have.

What would you name a Victoria team?

While Foothills have connections to the CPL team, I believe the ownership group will move towards a new name, as we have seen by the trademarked names such as Calgary FC and Cavalry FC.

Victoria used to have a team called Riptides years back.

4 hours ago, The Ref said:

Victoria used to have a team called Riptides years back.

Sounds cool! 

I know it's been trademarked, but Cavalry FC really doesn't do it for me. Especially cause if I say Calgary Cavalry out loud, I break my tongue!

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

Sounds cool! 

I know it's been trademarked, but Cavalry FC really doesn't do it for me. Especially cause if I say Calgary Cavalry out loud, I break my tongue!

Cavalry seems to make more sense now that we know that they're playing at Spruce Meadows

39 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Cavalry seems to make more sense now that we know that they're playing at Spruce Meadows

Yes, but they could/should come up with a different horse related name. The words Calgary and cavalry go together like oil and water.

If we don't use the Highlanders name in Victoria I would be happy to go back to Victoria United. I was on the Board for a while during the most recent incarnation in the 90's-00"s.  The history of the name in Victoria goes back to 1904 and would represent what this city needs,: a united support for the game.

All that said, there can be no CanPL team in this town without the Highlanders being involved. They have done a fantastic job of connecting with local sponsors and the soccer community and I cannot see how a totally separate effort would be possible.

I hope that they don't go with Hamilton Founders, I'm not a huge fan of that.

I'm okay with Hamilton Steelers, but not super pumped about it... I don't like when new teams take over an old team's name.

I'd like it to be just Hamilton SC, but I doubt that's likely.

11 hours ago, shamrock said:

I hope they go with existing names (if they're available). So that's Calgary Foothills

The problem with Foothills is 

a) The Foothills is a specific neighbourhood in Calgary. Specifically one in the north of the city, opposite to the stadium

b ) the Foothills themselves have local rivalries with the other soccer clubs of Calgary. It's better to open with a blank slate than ask members of clubs who have been cheering against the Foothills for years to flip at the pro level. It's a small thing but we've seen how good relationships with these clubs matter

12 hours ago, Xavier said:

Now that we know that the 8 clubs will most likely be in these cities, what would you like to see them named?

BC/Surrey/Victoria

Calgary

Edmonton

Winnipeg

Hamilton

York (We already know they will be called York9 FC)

Ottawa

Halifax (Most likely Halifax Wanderers FC)

Surrey Real Estate Agents

Calgary Bloomers (to avoid confusion with the NASL team of course)

Edmonton Pesky Foes

Winnipeg Rough Riders

Hamilton Hammy Hamsters (also known at "Triple H", will help secure WWE sponsorship money)

The York False 9

Ottawa Oxen

Halifax HAL 9000's (they can use the voice of HAL for their stadium announcer, which I think would be cool).

3 hours ago, ted said:

If we don't use the Highlanders name in Victoria I would be happy to go back to Victoria United. I was on the Board for a while during the most recent incarnation in the 90's-00"s.  The history of the name in Victoria goes back to 1904 and would represent what this city needs,: a united support for the game.

All that said, there can be no CanPL team in this town without the Highlanders being involved. They have done a fantastic job of connecting with local sponsors and the soccer community and I cannot see how a totally separate effort would be possible.

How would people feel about Victoria Caddies (named after Caddy the sea monster from Cadboro Bay). 

Victoria United would work, not sure who owns the rights but I can easily find out.

FC Victoria doesn’t have a bad ring to it

35 minutes ago, Xavier said:

How would people feel about Victoria Caddies (named after Caddy the sea monster from Cadboro Bay). 

Victoria United would work, not sure who owns the rights but I can easily find out.

FC Victoria doesn’t have a bad ring to it

Too many golfers to accept the name "Caddies". We won't carry someone else's bag. ;)

The United name is probably available as I doubt the non-profit that last used it registered the trademark.

FC Victoria was (maybe still is) a for-profit academy program.

10 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

The problem with Foothills is 

a) The Foothills is a specific neighbourhood in Calgary. Specifically one in the north of the city, opposite to the stadium

b ) the Foothills themselves have local rivalries with the other soccer clubs of Calgary. It's better to open with a blank slate than ask members of clubs who have been cheering against the Foothills for years to flip at the pro level. It's a small thing but we've seen how good relationships with these clubs matter

Which stadium is in the north of the city?  Don't they now play in Okotoks, and isn't Spruce Meadows also in the south end of Calgary?  

Sorry, I don't know Calgary very well, so I'm probably all mixed up.

25 minutes ago, SuperCanuck said:

Which stadium is in the north of the city?  Don't they now play in Okotoks, and isn't Spruce Meadows also in the south end of Calgary?  

Sorry, I don't know Calgary very well, so I'm probably all mixed up.

I phrased it poorly. I meant the foothills area is north Calgary, opposite side of the city as to where the team will be playing

Archived