Just now, Ivan said:

I was pretty impressed with Hamilton & Fraser.  Telfer did okay in his first game, never mind out of position.  Chapman had his moments - both good and bad.  Didn't really notice Morgan one way or the other.  Dunn looked nervous, but certainly not going to criticize a 17 year old on his debut.  Expected more from Ricketts, and maybe even Chapman.

Chapman made some nice penetrating runs I thought. Biggest problem overall wasn't so much talent level of this TFC C squad but a lack of cohesion, especially in the second half when none of the players were on the same page when they changed formation a bit. Moor also looked tired but understandably so. Agree that Fraser looked pretty good and composed out there, thought the PK call was harsh as Badji could have kept his feet but chose not to.

I agree that Ricketts was disappointing but I was expecting that Akinola would have started ahead of him given he played 75 minutes on Tuesday - not sure what the deal is there as I don't think he's played for TFC 2 yet either.

One other big problem for TFC was Ben Spencer, who is too slow and was also poor as a target forward and holding up the ball. Difficult to see what it is he actually brings.

TFC is going to have a lot of catching up to do in the league when the CCL is over, next week's game in Houston will be lucky to be a draw...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny that I thought Tefler played more forward, Gian-Luca thought more mid and vanney uses him as a LB.  And he still did well.  Easily played as well as Hasler on the other side.  Although he faded badly in the last 15 minutes, his tired legs couldnt keep up when they asked him to move forward so Morgan could go to LB.   Chapman had some nice penetrating runs, Hamilton played well on LW of 4-3-3.  He actually got in some nice crosses which is something you dont usually ask of him.  Fraser didnt look out of place, nothing great but fine for his first game.   They did look disjointed on not on the same page, which will happen when you put in backups with first time reserve players.  Too bad we didnt see one of the regular mids in there to give the newbies a little direction.  Aketxe started to take control in the second half, but it was all discombobulated.  Hope the first team got all the rest they needed.  

Tough to comment on this game.  The fact that it was an away game and the fact that there was no playing familiarity amongst the 11 on the pitch makes it impossible to say what this group could do.  I saw enough to to say that i would like to see more but at the same time no one wow’ed me individually.  The lack of familiarity was most evident in the final third of the pitch where it seemed that attacking players could nt read movement and and make timely runs.  But overall they played fairly well.   

A bad call to award a PK changed the momentum somewhat and kind of sealed the game.  I thought that TFC was comming on at that time and that a goal would come. 

i was expecting more involvement from Aketxe given his pedigree and experience.  It seems only in the final 15 minutes that he realise that he must be the one to lead and so he tried things.  He is having trouble integating with the players on the pitch and he is a classic example of someone who will need time but where the pay off could be valuable.  

Should've kept his man outside on the penalty but overall I was most impressed by Fraser today.  Nothing flashy but very composed on the ball and actually more attack-minded than I expected.  Similar to Kaye you don't notice him much unless you watch carefully but every time he receives the ball, even in difficult positions, he is able to make positive, effective plays and link up with those around him.  Bradley has mentioned how good Fraser is at pinpointing passes and you could see it a few times today.  Definitely had the football intelligence to play at MLS game speed, which is always a question when someone moves up a level.

6 hours ago, shamrock said:

How come in MLS every time somebody goes down in the box, a penalty is rewarded? There's so many bogus penalties in this leagues it makes it hard to watch. 

Yes, that call on Fraser was harsh but totally predictable and the attacking players know that many of these refs are incompetent and easily fooled! I have seen worse penalties given obviously but there was very little or no contact in that call, the player may have contacted Fraser's leg when he was purposely already going down to draw the foul, that's how I saw it without a bunch of replays!

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

Gotta wonder what the pitch will be like on tuesday based on what we see outside today?  And, whether it will be playable.

Edit:  just checked the longer range weather forecast.  Seems this will continue more or less into tuesday.

Well that's good and bad.  I think as favourites we would want a clean pitch but then again this won't be doing any favours for a club that is 100% Mexican.  

17 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Well that's good and bad.  I think as favourites we would want a clean pitch but then again this won't be doing any favours for a club that is 100% Mexican.  

The way it looks outside today, The players may need skates to play the game.   Can Giovinco, Mavinga and Vasquez skate?    I dont know.  

The region has been inflicted with freezing rain and ice pellets all weekend.  Roads are dengerous and there are sheets of ice all over. 

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

Gotta wonder what the pitch will be like on tuesday based on what we see outside today?  And, whether it will be playable.

Edit:  just checked the longer range weather forecast.  Seems this will continue more or less into tuesday.

I'm sure they will have protected the field in the past two days. Supposed to rain all day with a high of 8 tomorrow so things should melt, but then they are calling for rain and wet snow on Tuesday. I hope they don't bother to  water the field!

20 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The way it looks outside today, The players may need skates to play the game.   Can Giovinco, Mavinga and Vasquez skate?    I dont know.  

The region has been inflicted with freezing rain and ice pellets all weekend.  Roads are dengerous and there are sheets of ice all over. 

There isn't going to be ice on the pitch you can be sure of that.. it's going to be ugly and muddy for sure like a middle school pitch.  Even now outside it's slushy, not really ice.. I'd expect in 2 more days it'll be extremely wet.  

On 4/14/2018 at 6:52 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Chapman made some nice penetrating runs I thought. Biggest problem overall wasn't so much talent level of this TFC C squad but a lack of cohesion, especially in the second half when none of the players were on the same page when they changed formation a bit. Moor also looked tired but understandably so. Agree that Fraser looked pretty good and composed out there, thought the PK call was harsh as Badji could have kept his feet but chose not to.

I agree that Ricketts was disappointing but I was expecting that Akinola would have started ahead of him given he played 75 minutes on Tuesday - not sure what the deal is there as I don't think he's played for TFC 2 yet either.

One other big problem for TFC was Ben Spencer, who is too slow and was also poor as a target forward and holding up the ball. Difficult to see what it is he actually brings.

TFC is going to have a lot of catching up to do in the league when the CCL is over, next week's game in Houston will be lucky to be a draw...

Akinola is out with an injury. Saw it on twitter, can't remember from whom(Larson or Miolinaro)

In their infinite wisdom, Concacaf doesnt wipe the slate clean for yellow cards at anytime during the round of sixteen all the way to the final.   This means that Oso, Giovinco, Altidore, Bradley and Moor are all sitting on yellow and would miss the return leg should they get a caution.  

But on the flip side, this would mean that playing the first leg at home may turn out to be a advantage.  The home side, whose usually the attacking side, should have more possession and less likely to have to have to foul.  Of course, if they get a yellow in final match in mexico, it wont matter.

On 2018-04-15 at 8:30 PM, Free kick said:

The weather was so bad this week that the Jays game indoors at the Skydome was postponed. Calling for flurries and a high of 2 today. The pitch is going to get destroyed.

Bad pitch and conditions is worse for the Mexicans, for sure. But only if TFC take it like warriors. I don't think anyone like to play in terrible conditions, but some players do handle poor weather better.

The risk is that a poor pitch can make it hard to control the ball, so you could see mistakes, them getting an away goal that way would be too bad. Also that if you are trying to dominate and get chances, the conditions make it harder to use your skills. 

I am looking to see a big Gio breakout, that would be fun.

TFC have proven they can play in these conditions multiple times already this, not to mention last years run to the cup.  -20 in Colorado no problem, absolutely horrible weather three games in a row here- no worries.  Maybe Guadalajara stops shivering long enough to get a away goal but we can get three and love the fact that we start here!  Come on you Reds!

Can't help but think the shit conditions somewhat benefit TFC in this series.  Whether due to our players' better cold tolerance (at least some of them) or the impact the weather/pitch will have on the Mexicans' quick passing, we should be better off.  Even if they get one away goal tonight, it could be like the CA home and away where they just couldn't get the necessary goals in the 2nd leg. 

Lets go boys!

(and you can put me in the 5-0, no-suspense-necessary camp)

I'm watching Univision, have to say they have very good coverage, the commentaries are very solid and balanced in the preview.

They say Chivas will sit back and not open up, and not allow the TFC counter. And that their big problem is converting possession, which they have even with poor results, into goals, as the striker(s) is usually overly isolated and the mids don't connect up.

Archived