In some ways I feel it is a great advantage for TFC that we start at BMO.  The last two rounds against tougher teams didn’t stop us from getting a leg up and Chivas G won’t be able to bunker at home like they did in their final leg against the Red Bulls getting outshot 20-1.  

We lead heading to Mexico - they will need to come at us which allows us chances that we will no doubt take.  They lead going back to Mexico and park the bus, fans will be pissed and we won’t lose outshooting them 20-1 with our talent unlike the NYRB.  Just hope they don’t go down to 10 men because that seems to royally screw us.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

According to wikipedia, this is what the ranking is based on and if so, I don't see how the pity PK changed anything - it robbed TFC of 2 points which would have tied them with Chivas but they would have been +5 and still behind Chivas +10

Performance ranking

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Host
1 Mexico Guadalajara 6 4 1 1 11 1 +10 13 2nd leg
2 Canada Toronto FC 6 3 2 1 10 6 +4 11 1st leg

Well if you include the bs late pk vs Tigres we would have the lead but at the end of the day we’ve done well in Mexico 2nd so why change things 

2 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

In some ways I feel it is a great advantage for TFC that we start at BMO.  The last two rounds against tougher teams didn’t stop us from getting a leg up and Chivas G won’t be able to bunker at home like they did in their final leg against the Red Bulls getting outshot 20-1.  

We lead heading to Mexico - they will need to come at us which allows us chances that we will no doubt take.  They lead going back to Mexico and park the bus, fans will be pissed and we won’t lose outshooting them 20-1 with our talent unlike the NYRB.  Just hope they don’t go down to 10 men because that seems to royally screw us.

Chivas bunkered in NY in the 2nd leg. They won 1-0 at home in the 1st leg.

What i gather from their record this torneo is that they are good at countering on the road and susceptible to getting hit at home. If we can play organized at home and take a lead into Mexico we'll have them where we want them.

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Chapman, Hamilton, Fraser..Akinola??  Some of those guys better shine because the chances are going to be few and far between this year.  

Very tall task to ask an entire team of bench/squad players to shine though. My guess is

Hamilton  Spencer

Chapman-Aketxe-Fraser-Akinola

Morgan-Mavinga-Hernadez-Auro

Irwin

As the starting line-up. Not sure they can use anyone from TFC2 unless on an emergency basis

That thankfully brings the number of first-team Canucks on TFC up to 9, a number I am far happier with than 6. Probably wouldn't have happened this quickly for some of these players without the CCL run, but we can count it as another benefit to TFC going deep into the tourney. And I prefer that they do this vs. re-signing Endoh or whoever. Not sure how much they will play this year other than the next two league games and the V-Cup first round matches, but still a positive development.

As great as it is for our young homegrowns to get this opportunity, I'm really dissapointed in Houston for rejecting the proposal to postpone the match. I don't see what they have to lose and you would think that the MLS teams would stick together when one is in the CCL final.

37 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

As great as it is for our young homegrowns to get this opportunity, I'm really dissapointed in Houston for rejecting the proposal to postpone the match. I don't see what they have to lose and you would think that the MLS teams would stick together when one is in the CCL final.

I don't know.  No one expects an EPL rival to postpone a weekend game because ManU or Spurs have a major Champions League game the following Tuesday.  And at certain points those teams may be  juggling 3 or even 4 competitions when you factor in things like the FA Cup and League Cup.  To me, it is just a product of being a big, successful club - whether on an EPL scale or an MLS scale.  It is one reason why squad depth is important if you want to be a winning club.

1 hour ago, Jith12 said:

I think they would have 3 points to lose - delay the match and play TFC’s A team or don’t delay and play TFC 2

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I think they would have 3 points to lose - delay the match and play TFC’s A team or don’t delay and play TFC 2

True. Still I'd expect MLS to step in for a situation like this and postpone it themselves. There's almost as much at stake for the league in this final as there is for us.

Also, TFC has only played three league games this year.  Some teams have already played six.  They would have had to play that cancelled game somewhere and somehow and at a point in the schedule that was already going to be congested.  Canceling that game would excerbated the situation later in the year.

So i am actually glad that they didnt move that Houston game.  Its good to take a look at your prospects at this time of the year anyways and your more likely to surprise some opponents now than you are later in the year when everyone is already focusing on play off spots, supporters shields and what not. 

I'm glad that some of our CDN bench guys will see some action. And good to see some TFC2 guys rewarded with a contract.  But if I was Houston I wouldnt make concessions for the best team in the league.  A team whose payroll is 16million more than mine.  Suck it up buttercup and lets see the bench!!  

Also, TFC has only played three league games this year.  Some teams have already played six.  They would have had to play that cancelled game somewhere and somehow and at a point in the schedule that was already going to be congested.  Canceling that game would excerbated the situation later in the year.

So i am actually glad that they didnt move that Houston game.  Its good to take a look at your prospects at this time of the year anyways and your more likely to surprise some opponents now than you are later in the year when everyone is already focusing on play off spots, supporters shields and what not. 

I was pretty impressed with Hamilton & Fraser.  Telfer did okay in his first game, never mind out of position.  Chapman had his moments - both good and bad.  Didn't really notice Morgan one way or the other.  Dunn looked nervous, but certainly not going to criticize a 17 year old on his debut.  Expected more from Ricketts, and maybe even Chapman.

Archived