22 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Yes.  This was a poor performance overall. No one should take comfort in their when you look like a USL team out there.  

Half of the line up are de facto or actual USL players though, so probably not a surprise that they looked like that. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Free kick said:

You are letting Dunn off the hook and blaming unfairly someone else.   Dunn found himself in situation that defenders will face numerous times during a game and (as a defender) have to be expected to handle.  He  got beat way way too easily, that was way to easy of goal.    In regards to Dunn’s play, the third goal by houston was a bigger concern for me than the first goal because the first, even though it was blunder, the blame could be shared somewhat with the player who passed the ball and/or you could chaulk it up to first game jitters.  The first goal was more mental than talent related.  But the third goal, the way he played it speaks to talent and preparation. 

If you are on the right side with a 17 year old in his first start and its 1 way traffic maybe you should help him out??  Dunn was getting beat at will most of the game (which i mentioned) and a veteran should have recognized that.  Telfer was able to do more offensively than Hasler and help out with Taintor defensively on the left.  The pregame show said WATCH OUT for the speedy wingers.  I guess I didnt really expect Dunn to be up to MLS speed but I would have expected him to get some help after he got beat the first 3-4 times.  

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Half of the line up are de facto or actual USL players though, so probably not a surprise that they looked like that. 

And the other half were guys you cut from the team last year and they migrated back (Spencer, Hernandez, Taintor), plus your USL guys were playing out of position (Telfer at LB and Dunn at RB).  

I hope Dunn can bounce back from a poor MLS start, I thought he did get hung out to dry, some of it due to the formation he was playing in and as Bison says, a lack of defensive support, I know their winger was speedy, Dunn looked slow compared to him, I did see some positives from him and we have to remember the kid is 17 years old!

Now having watched the game I would disagree with the view that it was an overall poor team performance. 4 of the 5 goals & every single other dangerous scoring chance Houston got was because TFC's back line of a 17 year old, a USL loanee and an not-in-shape aging journeyman defender rescued from retirement - a trio who had never ever played together as a back line before -  couldn't handle the starting wingers of the Honduran National team. Well there's a shocker.

But I thought the forwards (except Spencer) and midfielders (including the two who came on in the 2nd half) were quite good and unlucky not to have scored 4 goals of their own given the barely-offside Hamilton goal, the missed PK and several other high quality chances. Chapman did have a very impressive game IMO (on both sides of the ball), Hamilton looked better than Ricketts for the most part and Fraser was solid and I like his ability to shoot from distance (I wished his teammates had utilized this more often - a couple of times they didn't pass it to him when he was in a shooting position) and spray forward passes. The Argentine player looks like he might be a useful option coming off the bench.

This was a guaranteed loss from the start (only dressing 16 players again, just 11 who had previous MLS experience - one of those 11 being a 17 year old who got his first 10 minutes the previous week - with Jordan Hamilton captaining the side at the end - should tell you everything you needed to know about the prospects of a victory on the road in a place that would have been tough for the 1st team to get a win at), so I came out of this fairly encouraged by some of the performances from some of the 2nd stringers (Hamilton, Chapman, Fraser all look like they are developing) and a couple of the debutants off the bench. I'm not going to throw Dunn under the bus, as this is pretty much what the coaching staff did by throwing him out there to begin with (and in that formation). The guy is young enough to play for Canada's next U20 team, hardly a surprise he got repeatedly torched in his first start by Honduran national team players and no cover. I'm sure he'll be fine in the long run and take it as a learning experience.

On the over turned goal,  it was actually Ricketts who was offside.  I would say it was more than barely from what i recall, a couple of steps.   I only caught that one on the replay because at first i thought it was Hamilton who was off side. 

Nice to see Hamilton has already surpassed his minutes total from last year.  Tough luck on the recall, Rickets should have done better as we was looking right down the line and was at .east 2-3 steps in front of Hamilton.  They might have let it go as Hamilton was close, but Rickets was way off!  

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

On the over turned goal,  it was actually Ricketts who was offside.  I would say it was more than barely from what i recall, a couple of steps.   I only caught that one on the replay because at first i thought it was Hamilton who was off side. 

Hamilton was offside, not by much, but offside.  It was the right call imo.

4 hours ago, Ivan said:

Yeah, Hamilton was slightly offside.  Sucks to have a goal taken away, feel bad for the kid.  But it was the right call.

Too bad.

I like his poaching instincts in the box.  I hope he makes the squad for Wednesday because if they need a goal I'd prefer him out there over Aketxe, tbh.

49 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Too bad.

I like his poaching instincts in the box.  I hope he makes the squad for Wednesday because if they need a goal I'd prefer him out there over Aketxe, tbh.

Aketxe, and Ricketts.  Been impressed with Jordan so far this year.  Give him a chance!

Well Dunn didnt fold up into a ball and quit.  A 17 year old CB thrown into RB for his first MLS start, things were stacked against him.  And its not like Taintor or Hernandez covered themselves with glory.  

Something like that could really shake a kids confidence, but he seemed to take it on the chin and keep his head up to the end.  Some of the vets should have been hanging their heads as they know better and should have done much better.  

I actually felt that Hernandez could be blamed for a couple of mistakes that announcers were pinning on Dunn.  First, Hernandez gave up a few hospital passes that put Dunn and others under too much pressure.  Second, as the veteran CB, knowing that your 17-year old rookie partner is up against Elis/Quioto, you have to provide cover (or at least somebody does).  Often, there was virtually no cover for Dunn.  Occasionally, Hernandez was actually jogging back just to get in line with the other defenders.  For me, when you control for experience and expectations, he was hands down the worst defender on the night.

Most significant line for me in this article:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/maple-leaf-square-host-combined-tailgate-raptors-leafs-tfc/

is "All four of the city’s major sports teams will be in action, marking just the sixth time that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Raptors, Toronto FC and Toronto Blue Jays will be playing games on the same date."

Even though that's the reality in the city, it's the first time I've seen the MLS team included in a top four. It's normally in a Top 5 with the Argos.

On 24-4-2018 at 12:58 AM, shorty said:

I actually felt that Hernandez could be blamed for a couple of mistakes that announcers were pinning on Dunn.  First, Hernandez gave up a few hospital passes that put Dunn and others under too much pressure.  Second, as the veteran CB, knowing that your 17-year old rookie partner is up against Elis/Quioto, you have to provide cover (or at least somebody does).  Often, there was virtually no cover for Dunn.  Occasionally, Hernandez was actually jogging back just to get in line with the other defenders.  For me, when you control for experience and expectations, he was hands down the worst defender on the night.

You Dutch?

No, I'm not Dutch. Not sure what the association with hospital passes and the Netherlands is...  My rugby and soccer coaches in youth all used the term, and they were Welsh, Jamaican, Scottish, British, German...  Basically a pass that is going to put your teammate in the hospital the moment they receive it.

52 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Anyone know of any injuries for tonight's game?

Morrow and Mavinga are out for sure. Vazquez is questionable. Hagglund is out long term. As far as I know Jozy seems to be fine but I am not sure if he is 100%.

Archived