Well now Morrow understands how Morgan has it.  Injured and not playing for weeks, covered in rust, then thrown in for 15min and people complain because you cant make any kind of impact.  Vanney should have brought Morrow in for a 10min cameo against Colorado and maybe he would have been more effective.  Tough spot to put Morrow, in one of the biggest games in franchise history.  

And I understand that Vanney never subs the big 3, but when Altidore was off all night and is throwing up on the field....thats just being stubborn.  Rickets with fresh legs might have been able to do something.  I think Vanney has been reading too many of the MLS cheerleader type articles about him being the second coming wonder coach.  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In light of recent events and guys coming back from injury would it make sense to have them play in Houston this weekend or would that absolutely gas them leaving them no good for Mexico?  Morrow was rusty and Mavinga needs to play 90 if he starts? And Vazquez would be huge if he can take the pitch. Do you give him 45 in Houston and see if there is any chance he plays Chivas?

It doesn't look like any of the first team players other than Aidan Daniels started for TFC2's game yesterday against North Carolina (played in front of about 15 fans at BMO Field by the looks of the highlights - I'm not surprised as I don't think any TFC fans knew about this game and to come back downtown again in the frigid temperatures to watch this match the day after the first leg of the CCL final was always going to be an unlikely occurrence for most fans).

Quite the different experience for Kyle Bekker compared to the last time he played at BMO Field.....

Watching the replay now of Tuesday’s CCL match. I am at the 60th minute.   I didnt catch until now that it was Delgado who delivered the decisive ball on the Oso goal so i will have to temper my comment when i said that i didnt think he had a good game.   But there were still several of poor passes from him.  

Watching this gives me more confidence for the return leg.  Overall TFC played well.  Chivas did not let TFC establish possesion and create a slow buildup but TFC still manage to create great chances with several nifty give and goes and creative play in tigt spaces.  A little more opportunism and its a totally different situation.

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Watching the replay now of Tuesday’s CCL match. I am at the 50th minute.   I didnt catch until now that it was Delgado who delivered the decisive ball on the Oso goal so i will have to temper my comment when i said that i didnt think he had a good game.   But there were still several of poor passes from him. 

I don't disagree with your assessment.  At this level and in this stage of his career Delgado isn't good enough to maintain possession of the ball, be it through errant passes or  to shield and/or draw fouls while doing do.  And I have defended Delgado's contributions to the team many times here and elsewhere.

As you continue to re-watch the game, check on how many giveaways Aketxe had in his 10+ minutes of action.  I was hard on him because of this as well as his lack of recovery urgency after possession, but maybe my bias is showing

5 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

As you continue to re-watch the game, check on how many giveaways Aketxe had in his 10+ minutes of action.  I was hard on him because of this as well as his lack of recovery urgency after possession, but maybe my bias is showing

That one, i noted while i was at the game.

10 mins in.  What a disaster

20 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Wow down 2-0 seven minutes in.  Guess when you have a 17 year old, an mls journeyman, and a USL loanee as your back 3 you are inviting disaster.  Damn Chapman to Hamilton and just over the bar. Gonna take some supreme effort to make this a game.

This tells us that when you evaluate depth,  you can't just do it by looking at what the player can do when integrated into a partial starting squad.  Many of these guys have played well in the past and shown they can hold their own.   But it's a totally other story when they are all on their own.  good players also make other players look good.   And if you play with good players long enough,  you will become good.  

i've made the argument that soccer is in many ways like basketball in the ways elite level talent can influence a game and a team.  If you look at TFC before Giovinco, Bradley and Altidore,  there were many players who went on to have good MLS careers with other teams.  But the team was terrible until they picked up three of the best players in mls

Let’s hope more time with the first team and greater familiarity with expectations will improve Aketxe’s performances.  The current management team has done very well and I still think Aketxe will be a useful player for us in due time.  Thought he showed some positive signs today playing with much weaker players. 

54 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

It's probably a pretty bad thing that the player loaned in from USL for this game is currently leading TFC in the Audi Player Index by a pretty sizable margin.

Lol, the guy scored our only goal, of course he'd look good in the "Audi player index"! Which begs the question, what non-13 year old quotes the Audi player index?

In the jpg75 player index Taintor also leads for playing with a cast on his wrist. Too bad about the brain fart on the fifth goal though...

You kind of half expected the FB's to get toasted today.  But what was Hasler doing?? On the other side Telfer was back helping Taintor, and the 17 year old Dunn looked like he was on a island with no help from Hasler.  After the first couple times Dunn got skinned Hasler being a vet should have tracked back more.  Really dissapointed with the veterans, Hasler, Aketxe, Ricketts.  Chapman (later Mino), Telfer and Hamilton looked like they might actually produce a goal.  Even Daniels looked lively in his cameo.  I hope they show well in Mexico, but I'll be glad to get things back to normal and maybe work in the youngsters more naturally, and not recycling 3 guys we released at the end of last season. 

And for the guys talking about the Audi index... they need to tweak that.  Spencer has almost the same number as Hamilton??  -210 pts for having a shot blocked in the box?? Oh well, I guess its nice to have some sort of stat being kept.  

12 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Lol, the guy scored our only goal, of course he'd look good in the "Audi player index"! Which begs the question, what non-13 year old quotes the Audi player index?

In the jpg75 player index Taintor also leads for playing with a cast on his wrist. Too bad about the brain fart on the fifth goal though...

1) That post was before his goal.

2) Me. Its' imperfect, but generally a decent metric on a game-by-game basis if you discount some of the things that are major point swings. I find myself agreeing with it's scores after most Caps games. Though it has a weird high penalty for missed tackles and shots. 

3) The jpg75 player index sounds as nonsensical as it's namesake. 

50 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Well I did yesterday in the Whitecaps thread when I saw that Juarez was a record -559 points but even then I qualified my comment - perhaps it being mentioned by Caps fans here was a subtle form of revenge? :-) 

I haven’t seen the game yet but FWIW Chapman, not Taintor, got the best Audi score of the game for a TFC player on the day (and 4th overall, which seems a bit strange that anyone could be that high in a 5-1 loss).

I am not liking our chances of winning a penalty shootout on Wednesday night however the way things are going with our Pk’s this year

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

1) That post was before his goal.

2) Me. Its' imperfect, but generally a decent metric on a game-by-game basis if you discount some of the things that are major point swings. I find myself agreeing with it's scores after most Caps games. Though it has a weird high penalty for missed tackles and shots. 

3) The jpg75 player index sounds as nonsensical as it's namesake. 

fonzie_thumbs_down.jpg

40 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Well I did yesterday in the Whitecaps thread when I saw that Juarez was a record -559 points but even then I qualified my comment - perhaps it being mentioned by Caps fans here was a subtle form of revenge? :-) 

I haven’t seen the game yet but FWIW Chapman, not Taintor, got the best Audi score of the game for a TFC player on the day (and 4th overall, which seems a bit strange that anyone could be that high in a 5-1 loss).

I am not liking our chances of winning a penalty shootout on Wednesday night however the way things are going with our Pk’s this year

The Audi Index is a lazy way to assess a game. You get a pass because you're a good poster and a TFC fan. Harry is a Caps fan and sometimes a bit of a know it all so i'm busting his balls just cuz i can. He should stick to the other advanced metrics he usually uses like key passes, completion % etc. because then he's actually adding something useful at that point.

I thought Chapman actually had a decent game, but no one who loses 5-1 should get a high rating. Telfer showed us he can swing in a good cross, but got beat for the fourth goal...Aketxe needs an attitude adjustment.

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

You kind of half expected the FB's to get toasted today.  But what was Hasler doing?? On the other side Telfer was back helping Taintor, and the 17 year old Dunn looked like he was on a island with no help from Hasler.  After the first couple times Dunn got skinned Hasler being a vet should have tracked back more.  Really dissapointed with the veterans, Hasler, Aketxe, Ricketts.  Chapman (later Mino), Telfer and Hamilton looked like they might actually produce a goal.  Even Daniels looked lively in his cameo.  I hope they show well in Mexico, but I'll be glad to get things back to normal and maybe work in the youngsters more..

You are letting Dunn off the hook and blaming unfairly someone else.   Dunn found himself in situation that defenders will face numerous times during a game and (as a defender) have to be expected to handle.  He  got beat way way too easily, that was way to easy of goal.    In regards to Dunn’s play, the third goal by houston was a bigger concern for me than the first goal because the first, even though it was blunder, the blame could be shared somewhat with the player who passed the ball and/or you could chaulk it up to first game jitters.  The first goal was more mental than talent related.  But the third goal, the way he played it speaks to talent and preparation. 

19 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I thought Chapman actually had a decent game, but no one who loses 5-1 should get a high rating. Telfer showed us he can swing in a good cross, but got beat for the fourth goal...Aketxe needs an attitude adjustment.

Yes.  This was a poor performance overall. No one should take comfort in theirs when you look like a USL team out there.  

Archived