What a joke of a penalty at the end. Bradley did not even touch him, never mind foul him.

Too bad because it marred an otherwise excellent performance by the ref. Just goes to show how hard it is to stay immune to the cheating for 90 mins.

Still, THAT is how it is done. Well played TFC.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Very shaky? What game were some of you watching? That was as convincing as you’re going to see at Azteca.. Club America was no danger all match and TFC was happy to absorb pressure. 

No danger all match?! Fcking hell @Keegan, how much have you had to drink mate?!!

11 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

What a joke of a penalty at the end. Bradley did not even touch him, never mind foul him.

Too bad because it marred an otherwise excellent performance by the ref. Just goes to show how hard it is to stay immune to the cheating for 90 mins.

Still, THAT is how it is done. Well played TFC.

I disagree... it looked pretty clear cut to me. Went right through at least one if not both of the players legs. I think Bradley just miscalculated and thought he could get there.

15 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I disagree... it looked pretty clear cut to me. Went right through at least one if not both of the players legs. I think Bradley just miscalculated and thought he could get there.

I watched it in slo mo on my PVR. Bradley went outside him, not "through". Did not even touch him.

Edit: Just watched it again and from a different angle it does look as though there was some contact but the CA player stuck his leg in front of Bradley, not the other way around, so if anything that should have been a free kick to TFC. Luckily it made no difference.

20 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Very shaky? What game were some of you watching? That was as convincing as you’re going to see at Azteca.. Club America was no danger all match and TFC was happy to absorb pressure. 

TFC rode their luck at times, Bono had to pull off some great saves, it was a very good away performance and that early goal meant so much, I wouldn't say we were in complete control with 35% possession!

16 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Shaky for us to watch for sure, but they stayed organized and worked hard.  Well coached, motivated, mature performance.  Moor, VDWL and Auro all had good games, mix in a 1-2 big Bono saves and they came within a minute of a clean sheet in AZTECA.  They had just enough of the ball to give the D a breather and when the fortunate bounce came, Osorio was in the right spot and he buried it.   A couple of bad giveaways by Zavaltta, Delgado and the terrible Bono clearance were about the only bad spots, other than the injuries.  OOPS, forgot the "I'm so wide open I could eat a sandwhich and still score" miss from Hasler.....it would have been so sweet to have won that game outright.  

42 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Not in the first half.  There was the miraculous save by bono. Two other high quality chances that were stopped.  Then there was the goal that was waved off that, quite honnestly and thankfully,  i dont know why.  And, they only created one chance the whole half and happened to scored.  

I would concur with your points if they would have looked more like they looked in the second half.

17 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Not in the first half.  There was the miraculous save by bono. Two other high quality chances that were stopped.  Then there was the goal that was waved off that, quite honnestly and thankfully,  i dont know why.  And, they only created one chance the whole half and happened to scored.  

Because it was blatantly offside.

And while it is true that they only created one chance in the whole first half, once they scored early, got the away goal back and took a 3 goal lead, they didn't really need to create more chances. That said, they did a better job of keeping possession in the 2nd half and were less panicky than they were at times in the first half, but I don't think (unlike Caldwell) that Van Der Wiel was injured, I think Vanney made a tactical adjustment based on what he saw and figured a 4-4-2 was better so he sacrificed a defender.

Great experience for all four Canadians in this match, even if one of them had already played in a CCL semi-final match in Mexico before, it wasn't quite like this. Hopefully Jozy's injury is not too serious

I’m going to give TFC props. They played a solid game defensively tonight. Moor was a beast. This TFC team is something special, with all the accolades they’ve achieved the CCL would be befitting. On a larger scale them winning it would bring so much attention to the sport in Canada, get more Cdn talent. Not only that, would be funny to say MLS only CCL winner was a Cdn club. 

Would also be interesting to see how they stack up against a Real Madrid in the FIFA Club Championship. 

Someone needs to do some editing on the mlssoccer.com game report:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/04/10/club-america-1-toronto-fc-1-2018-concacaf-champions-league-recap

"In the 12th minute, Sebastian Giovinco delivered a perfectly-weighted pass into the box, where Ricketts collected and sidefooted the ball to Jonathan Osorio for the opening goal."

I think the writer is being more than a little generous to Ricketts with that one.......

There were a few frustrating bits of play but like the first match América was really left with long shots any time they tried to play through us.  They had a couple headers on target and one was a huge save from Bono.. Tfc also missed a pretty clear chance through Osorio.  After they got the first goal they didn’t need to create.. they had a weeks rest and now America had to score 3 goals while tired and under pressure while also not exposing themselves to the counter and a 2nd away goal.  The game was designed for Toronto to outlast America and they did so, very convincing and should have been a win. 

This America team is nowhere near the team that beat Montreal in 2015.. they weren’t dangerous against a TFC back line that was missing 2 key defenders but credit to Vanney and staff as well.

23 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

After tomorrow night's match, many people here may end up cursing having had an Uzbek ref for this one.

To be honest, I think TFC give up 3 PK's (instead of just 1) and an off-side goal if there was Concacaf officiating for this one, and also get a couple of more yellow cards to boot.

Aside from the PK given in the last minute the referee was pretty lenient with Toronto. Unlike the normal bias ref’ing by the usual Central American refs. I just recall how much a shaft the Impact were given vs America both home and away. 

9 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I still dont know how you can wave it offside when its an own goal. Reminds me of that goal in in the gold cup in chicago against the americans.  Refereed by Archudia.  The last player to touch the ball was an american.   

7 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I still dont know how you can wave it offside when its an own goal. Reminds me of that goal in in the gold cup in chicago against the americans.  Refereed by Archudia.  The last player to touch the ball was an american.   

It’s pretty obvious he was heading the ball to intercept a ball that was headed to an offside player = offside. In the Gold Cup the ball was passed toward an onside player DeRo and headed back into the path of Hutch who was arguably onside anyhow. 

Its one of the toughest calls to make no doubt, this referee crew was extremely strong. No surprise the referee has earned the accolades he has and it’s a shame he’s confined to his region for club games.

1 minute ago, Free kick said:

The play is offside as soon as the Club America guy who heads the ball towards goal touches it (which is before it gets to Zavaleta) - that's when the flag goes up and the whistle gets blown. The Atiba goal in the 2007 Gold Cup is completely different because Atiba was on-side the last time a Canadian player plays the ball unlike here when the CA player  heading it is offside the moment the ball is played to him. 

5 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

And while it is true that they only created one chance in the whole first half, once they scored early, got the away goal back and took a 3 goal lead, they didn't really need to create more chances.

Exactly. Once that goal was scored and CA had to answer back with 3 just to tie it up the tactics took a big detour. We played the last 80 minutes in a bunker-counter state which is why we turned the ball over so much. Alot of the passes were lower percentage long balls to Gio and Ricketts

That Hamilton setup of Hasler late has me hopeful we'll see alot more of him.

Just watched the highlights again.. the offside was actually because Valdez came back from an offside position to head the initial ball and even then when he heads it the second ball is offside too.  So the AR had two chances to get it right.

and still not seeing any highlights that show Club America creating/missing big chances.. in the first half they had one good chance and in the second they got a mercy pk call at the end to go along with a nice glancing header that we’ll call a half chance. 

It is the ugliest game I enjoyed ever.I don't care  how we won it What important is. We are through  If we win the cup nobody even remembers how you won it. it is about getting the job done The only regret is I wish we had a 2nd leg in Toronto

7 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

I’m going to give TFC props. They played a solid game defensively tonight. Moor was a beast. This TFC team is something special, with all the accolades they’ve achieved the CCL would be befitting. On a larger scale them winning it would bring so much attention to the sport in Canada, get more Cdn talent. Not only that, would be funny to say MLS only CCL winner was a Cdn club. 

Would also be interesting to see how they stack up against a Real Madrid in the FIFA Club Championship. :o

14 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I'll reserve judgement until after the game, but i'm not sure an Uzbek ref is going to be much of an improvement on a CONCACAF ref. In fact i could see the guy falling for dirty Mexican diving tactics.

The ref turned out to be absolutely superb. He's reffing at the World Cup this summer too.

8 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Someone needs to do some editing on the mlssoccer.com game report:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/04/10/club-america-1-toronto-fc-1-2018-concacaf-champions-league-recap

"In the 12th minute, Sebastian Giovinco delivered a perfectly-weighted pass into the box, where Ricketts collected and sidefooted the ball to Jonathan Osorio for the opening goal."

I think the writer is being more than a little generous to Ricketts with that one.......

Either most members of the media were watching a grainy illegal webstream on their phones, or maybe Ricketts' agent has bribed them to make him look good, because here's another one:

"Osorio scored an invaluable away goal in the 11th minute, taking a pass from Ricketts just before the penalty box and slotting the ball neatly into the net for a 1-0 lead."

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-advances-to-concacaf-champions-league-final-1.1053262

Honestly, wtf?

Archived