7 hours ago, Blindside16 said:

I feel that we will see some Canadians cut loose.  I am thinking that most likely Irwin, Zavaleta, Morgan, Ricketts, and Hernandez are gone.  Hamilton, Delgado, Akinola and maybe Chapman are on the fringe.  I hope they can find a way to keep Janson  bulk up the back end a little more.

Sounds like a good list, but lets run that through the nebotism strainer and see what comes out.  WHAAA???? Zavelata and Delgado are kept and given every opportunity next season???  Vanney is nothing if not stubborn, look how long he held onto Spencer, and he managed to bring back Endoh as well.  Hamilton needs to go somewhere he can play everyday.  Ruffian is right about Morgan, cheap good back up LM/LB.  I think Hernandez retired eh?  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Ruffian said:

I doubt Morgan is gone. He played a lot this year and is on a low salary.

Also, the player and position he covers and covets is Morrow at LB.  Morrow did not have a good year.  You could make a case based on this years play, that you could cut Morrow in favour Morgan and save money while not loosing much if anything.

Also, as you said, his salary is mangeable.   LB is a position thats hard to fill,  but you dont want to over pay for in a salary capped league.  

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

Also, the player and position he covers and covets is Morrow at LB.  Morrow did not have a good year.  You could make a case based on this years play, that you could cut Morrow in favour Morgan and save money while not loosing much if anything.

Also, as you said, his salary is mangeable.   LB is a position thats hard to fill,  but you dont want to over pay for in a salary capped league.  

Any guy on a bigger cap hit is liable to be moved (in his case, traded) when he is coming off of an underwhelming year and is on the wrong side of 30, for sure.  That said, I think they'll be banking on him having a bounce back year.

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

Any guy on a bigger cap hit is liable to be moved (in his case, traded) when he is coming off of an underwhelming year and is on the wrong side of 30, for sure.  That said, I think they'll be banking on him having a bounce back year.

19 hours ago, Ruffian said:

I doubt Morgan is gone. He played a lot this year and is on a low salary.

16 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Sounds like a good list, but lets run that through the nebotism strainer and see what comes out.  WHAAA???? Zavelata and Delgado are kept and given every opportunity next season???  Vanney is nothing if not stubborn, look how long he held onto Spencer, and he managed to bring back Endoh as well.  Hamilton needs to go somewhere he can play everyday.  Ruffian is right about Morgan, cheap good back up LM/LB.  I think Hernandez retired eh?  

12 hours ago, Free kick said:

Morgan is a cheap good back up but I have a feling he is done with the club.  I would like him to stay but the rumour was out there for a while towrds the end of the season and if you saw when he was subbed off in the final game against Atlanta, he proceeded to hug every player and coach on the bench.  It wasn't a simple good game hug either, there appeared to be significant emotion behind each hug.  

I agree Vanney is stubborn and blind at times but Zavaleta's play this season has been shockingly bad.  He had the opportunity to cement himself in the squad for years to come.  He fumbled every chance and opportunity he was given.  He proved he is not capable of leading or even being a part of that back line.

Hamilton seems like a perfect fit for the CPL, whether it be he signs with a CPL club or moved there on a season long loan, he simply needs to play 80+ minutes a game.

Hernandez is retiring.  I remeber hearing when he signed he as offered a spot coaching in the academy after this year.  It might have just been a rumour though.  

I hope they make a move for Zimmerman.  He would slot in nicely with that backline.

6 hours ago, Blindside16 said:

Morgan is a cheap good back up but I have a feling he is done with the club.  I would like him to stay but the rumour was out there for a while towrds the end of the season and if you saw when he was subbed off in the final game against Atlanta, he proceeded to hug every player and coach on the bench.  It wasn't a simple good game hug either, there appeared to be significant emotion behind each hug.  

I agree Vanney is stubborn and blind at times but Zavaleta's play this season has been shockingly bad.  He had the opportunity to cement himself in the squad for years to come.  He fumbled every chance and opportunity he was given.  He proved he is not capable of leading or even being a part of that back line.

Hamilton seems like a perfect fit for the CPL, whether it be he signs with a CPL club or moved there on a season long loan, he simply needs to play 80+ minutes a game.

Hernandez is retiring.  I remeber hearing when he signed he as offered a spot coaching in the academy after this year.  It might have just been a rumour though.  

I hope they make a move for Zimmerman.  He would slot in nicely with that backline.

I wasn't aware of those rumours and I didn't see the activity on the sidelines. If he does leave, I am coming to you from now on to get extra info about future moves based on emotion analysis.

12 hours ago, Blindside16 said:

I heard the same rumors.  As they say, where there is smoke, there’s fire.  We shall have to see i guess.  

If Morgan & Ricketts are both leaving then I don't see that they would then cut Hamilton as well. Winning the V-Cup every year and getting into Champions League is one of the priorities They can't really go into the next season with the Canadian championship and hope that Osorio, Fraser and Chapman all happen to be healthy during those four weeks to start the matches during a congested schedule. They are always going to need to have 6-7 dependable Canadian players who, if not always regular starters, are at least capable of starting important matches. I don't see where they would get another 3-4 Canadians if they cut that many after this season, maybe Okello might make the jump but I suspect he's more likely to be loaned out with Bradley & Fraser ahead of him. And remember, much to Vanney's chagrin, Akinola doesn't count as a Canadian for V-Cup matches (and quite rightly too!). I don't know that Dunn or Daniels are really going to make the jump for this year even though they were signed to 1st team contracts (but only featured in the games TFC deliberately threw away during the CCL final stages) and Uccello is already signed with Memphis.

I agree that Hamilton needs to play regularly, but not sure that I want to see that in the CPL, particularly if its lower than USL (or possibly USL Div.2 quality). He tore up USL this year in limited minutes even though he was playing for the worst team in the league so I would see a lower level as a step backwards - I'm sure he could sign for more money for somewhere in the USL and play regularly and be challenged more there if need be if he is cut altogether. As for Morgan, I'm not sure why the club wouldn't re-sign him. This doesn't make sense to me at all after the year he had, as he had a better and more productive year in 2018 than he did in 2017. Actually all of the Canadian players for TFC had better years in 2018 than 2017, with the exception of Ricketts.  Osorio, Chapman and Hamilton all hit career highs in professional goals scored through 2018 and minutes played, Fraser didn't have a "last year" in MLS terms and Morgan played far more games in MLS, was fairly dependable when he was used and ended up being essential in Champions League play - heck, he scored the series winner in the semi-finals to take a Canadian team to the CCL final, how many Canadian players can claim that?). I can't say I'm in favour of Canadian MLS clubs cutting Canadian players after they have had improved years, unless they are clearly on their last legs which I don't think is the case.

On 11/15/2018 at 1:43 PM, Gian-Luca said:

TFC listed as MLS 5th most financially valuable team:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2018/11/14/mls-most-valuable-teams-2018/?src=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#47c2f6bb2ee9

Atlanta is at #1, while the two LA teams & Seattle are also listed ahead of them.

Their revenues are in Canadian dollars whereas many of their costs are in US dollars.   I'll bet the exhange rate is the main reason why they are not second in the league.  From a distance,  it doesn't appear to me that the LA Galaxy games is a hot ticket anymore in their market and I don't believe that they are selling anywhere near the same capacity as TFC and the stub hub centre has a smaller number of seats.  

Then there is the price of the tickets.   The tickets here are not cheap and people always forget this factor when they look at the attendance number in the box score.  Revenues is price multiplied by quantity sold.

9 hours ago, Free kick said:

Their revenues are in Canadian dollars whereas many of their costs are in US dollars.   I'll bet the exhange rate is the main reason why they are not second in the league.  From a distance,  it doesn't appear to me that the LA Galaxy games is a hot ticket anymore in their market and I don't believe that they are selling anywhere near the same capacity as TFC and the stub hub centre has a smaller number of seats.  

Then there is the price of the tickets.   The tickets here are not cheap and people always forget this factor when they look at the attendance number in the box score.  Revenues is price multiplied by quantity sold.

Exchange rate might be the reason they are 5th and not 4th but the article explains why the other teams are ahead of them. Atlanta and Seattle are far ahead of any other teams attendance wise. LA Galaxy are close to Toronto in attendance but have a lot more tv revenue. LAFC are behind TFC attendance wise (selling out every game but smaller stadium) but like Galaxy probably also have higher revenues in other areas plus they are located in a huge market. 

16 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Exchange rate might be the reason they are 5th and not 4th but the article explains why the other teams are ahead of them. Atlanta and Seattle are far ahead of any other teams attendance wise. LA Galaxy are close to Toronto in attendance but have a lot more tv revenue. LAFC are behind TFC attendance wise (selling out every game but smaller stadium) but like Galaxy probably also have higher revenues in other areas plus they are located in a huge market. 

I looked at the list only. If the article says that, then that would make sence. 

Delgado went 62 minutes with the game still scoreless - Italy would score a very late winner to take the friendly 1-0. Although Kevin Lasagna did not factor in the goal, I understand he gave a multi-layered performance. Italy is still having huge problems in being able to score, so they could use a player named Steven Salami to slice the ball into the net on a regular basis. And with Buffon gone, they could also do with a keeper like Chuck Cacciatore to both distribute and catch the ball.

The less said about Bert Buccalla the better.

Archived