• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

We need to be converting the quality chances.  Gah...

We probably need to go easy on Jozy as he looks to be in quite a bit of pain. Hope he is ok. But yes, it is very frustrating to watch these chances go awry.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Ouch disastrous.  VDW was absent... ball watched on chivas best two chances in the first half one of which was a goal. Auro was awful as well but not as bad as VDW in those two moments. 

The breakdown on the coverage on the guy who crossed on that opening goal was a key factor too.

Also, as a sub that Aketxe guy brought nothing to the game except some giveaways.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Ouch disastrous.  VDW was absent... ball watched on chivas best two chances in the first half one of which was a goal. Auro was awful as well but not as bad as VDW in those two moments. 

Disagree with VDW. Thought he was one of our better players.  Had high hopes forAuro but he did not play well.  We are the better side but did not create or finish in the final third.  Tough sledding in Mexico ?? but we are the better side. 

The pitch/weather conditions hurt TFC more than Chivas because field looked heavy and, as result, the pace on the balls was slower.  It may have also a affected Giovinco because it was harder to plant your foot in order to strike the ball well.  

Its going to be tough because a win in Mexico  might not be enough. Guadalahara is still at high altitude even though its not quite Mexico city.   I was puzzled by the Morgan for Morrow switch because it was at time when you needed more of an attacking presence and options.  They had already subbed out a defender earlier.   

I was at the game and opening goal occurred at the other end.  But i really dont get where people are saying VdW was in anyway responsible.  The play was constructed and completed on the other side of where he was playing.   The other goal was on a set piece and the ball went straight in off the foot of the taker. 

1 hour ago, Chad_Impact said:

Why did Morgan get subbed out, he was one of the best players out there today 

I am not prepared to say that he was one of the best players out there,  but i was puzzled by the substition because i didnt see any purpose to it at that time and in that situation. 

The last sustitution (Aketxe for Degado) is the is that should have been done at the time of the morgan for morrow switch.  Delgado did not play well in my opinion.

I also didn't understand the subbing off of Morgan either, Morrow didn't play well when he came on to make matters worse. Overall though all the American pundits calling this Chivas team the worst to ever play in the Champions League, suggesting they were going to bunker on TFC the whole night  that TFC would be overwhelming favourites (despite not even having home field advantage) were completely wrong. I had a feeling that they would be. You don't get to a final by being a crap team. Not sure how much I will trust their insights on the Mexican clubs going forward.

Nobody is now expecting TFC to get the result they need in Mexico, which is one sense is good, they players can go in feeling they have nothing to lose and to lay it all on the line (no taking a yellow card worries either).

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm watching Univision, have to say they have very good coverage, the commentaries are very solid and balanced in the preview.

They say Chivas will sit back and not open up, and not allow the TFC counter. And that their big problem is converting possession, which they have even with poor results, into goals, as the striker(s) is usually overly isolated and the mids don't connect up.

We get univision here in TO. Its on Rogers cable and you cn even view it with basic service.  Their late night one hour sports show covers the concacaf CL extensively.  I started watching it when CCL started this year.  Even though my spanish is extremely limited,  i can spot good coverage when i see it, and its extensive.  Puts to shame what we get in toronto.  

Its shows on that show how, Soccer is to the mexicans like the NFL is to americans.  Yes,  they gave TFC pretty good coverage.  Even whe the games were in toronto.

36 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I also didn't understand the subbing off of Morgan either, Morrow didn't play well when he came on to make matters worse. Overall though all the American pundits calling this Chivas team the worst to ever play in the Champions League, suggesting they were going to bunker on TFC the whole night  that TFC would be overwhelming favourites (despite not even having home field advantage) were completely wrong. I had a feeling that they would be. You don't get to a final by being a crap team. Not sure how much I will trust their insights on the Mexican clubs going forward.

Nobody is now expecting TFC to get the result they need in Mexico, which is one sense is good, they players can go in feeling they have nothing to lose and to lay it all on the line (no taking a yellow card worries either).

The americans were saying that they would bunker and that they cant attack.  Well ,  what saw tonight was that there was plenty of room out there for TFC to operate, especially down the middle.   But they didnt finish.   And they (Chivas) looked fairly dangerous when they attacked.   They created chances, mostly with good counter attacks.  

I think that the sources you are referring to are the same sources that i listen to and read.  They strike me as Red Bull’s leaning in their commentary. 

42 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I am not prepared to say that he was one of the best players out there,  but i was puzzled by the substition because i didnt see any purpose to it at that time and in that situation. 

The last sustitution (Aketxe for Degado) is the is that should have been done at the time of the morgan for morrow switch.  Delgado did not play well in my opinion.

He made a nice run and cross to set up Osorio's goal but I think Delgado's too loose with possession (not just passing but also shielding the ball) and against these types of opponents he gets exposed more than he does in MLS.  When the club is chasing the game, he's definitely the first sub.  However, Aketxe had as many or more giveaways in his short time on the field and didn't look on the pace of the game at all. 

Burning a sub on Morgan didn't seem like the right move after they already had to replace Mavinga .  It ended up taking Ricketts out of the sub picture and late he might have been more than useful to poach at least a tying goal. 

They had enough good opportunities to win this game and I truly they've got the goods to go back to Mexico to take at least the same result there.  So they can rest up and watch the young back ups snatch a win in Houston on the weekend while they prepare for the biggest match in club history.

I have been patient with Aketxe so far but tonight may have been the last straw for me.

I know some will say it is early days and that is true, but at some point you gotta question if he's a good fit.

I hope this is just him finding his feet still.

No doubt the boy has talent, but he seems perpetually out of sync with his teammates. And perhaps it is just me, but he's increasingly looking more frusturated with every performance.

As for the other new boys, I thought GVD was fantastic. Stepped into challenges well. Showed composure with the ball. Just a different class than Moore and Zavaletta.

Auro had a mixed showing. Struggled to generate much and had difficulty with Chivas' "in your face" defending, just like most players tonight. Then there was the goal. And the giveaways.

For all that though, he was still able to contribute in the build up. He continues to be useful in possession. He'll be important down in Mexico.

Still only half time. I don't think a 2-0 win down at Chivas is unrealistic. 

First goal will be key. If TFC get it (and get it early), I am confident they will pour it on, even away from home. They have nothing to lose.

If Chivas score first, I can see TFC claw one back, but it won't be enough.

Just my lil prediction.

10 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

The breakdown on the coverage on the guy who crossed on that opening goal was a key factor too.

Also, as a sub that Aketxe guy brought nothing to the game except some giveaways.

Looked like a mix-up between Osorio & Mavinga as to who was going to cover who off the throw in, but also three defenders ball-watching the open man in front of goal. Basically I think the whole team was a bit asleep on that one. The second goal, re-watching the highlights I'm more convinced now was an intended cross that was mis-hit but helped into the net by the wind. Bono perhaps could have moved his feet better on the play but easy to say in hindsight as no-one was expecting a shot on goal there and I don't think it actually was.

50 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Looked like a mix-up between Osorio & Mavinga as to who was going to cover who off the throw in, but also three defenders ball-watching the open man in front of goal. Basically I think the whole team was a bit asleep on that one. The second goal, re-watching the highlights I'm more convinced now was an intended cross that was mis-hit but helped into the net by the wind. Bono perhaps could have moved his feet better on the play but easy to say in hindsight as no-one was expecting a shot on goal there and I don't think it actually was.

Credit to Bono for standing up and taking full blame for that 2nd goal, whether it was a cross or shot he was too far forward in no man's land!

7 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Those are great types of free kicks because at the end of the play they are always on a goal, even if a head doesn't get on it before that.  On the first, there is usually a daisy chain of errors that contribute to goal:  in this case, unopposed crossing followed by no marking in the box.

Was at the game and totally puzzled by Vanney last night.  He has pulled the right strings most games but his choices last night hurt us immensely.  Mavinga is a beast but why start a guy coming back from injury who is only gonna go 45?  Why play Jozy when he is ill and puking again on the field?  Why start Morgan if you are gonna pull him for another guy who hasn’t played?  Behind the 8 ball now but let’s hope we have a healthy squad playing to potential next Wed.

Agree completely with those above.

if Jozy and Mavinga were questionable then Morgan should have went 90 or Morrow should have started period. Senseless waste of a sub when Hamilton or Ricketts could have come on.. we had nothing going but Morgan actually was a bright spot. 

If Morrow was good to go and Vanney thought he was an improvement over Morgan he should have started him.  Morrow brought nothing to the game and Morgan has been great so it was really a puzzling move.  Morrow has been great for TFC the past couple of years but didn’t look up to speed last night.

Archived