• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know much about Mexican soccer. Just looking at recent results. Chivas finished 13th in the Apertura, while Tigres and CA finished 2nd and 3rd. Now in the Clausura CA and Tigres are 3rd and 4th while Chivas is down in 15th. 

Chivas also only play home grown players so they have no imports. Looking at highlights Red Bulls definitely outplayed them in the last game.

On paper should bean easier tie so hope for the best.

It's early in the season of course but of the top 5 scorers on TFC right now 3 are Canadian:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Toronto_FC_season#Top_scorers

I actually thought this year we would see hardly any minutes from Canadians on TFC anymore with their spending/success but it has actually been the complete opposite. Not only are they playing but they are making an impact.

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Either most members of the media were watching a grainy illegal webstream on their phones, or maybe Ricketts' agent has bribed them to make him look good, because here's another one:

"Osorio scored an invaluable away goal in the 11th minute, taking a pass from Ricketts just before the penalty box and slotting the ball neatly into the net for a 1-0 lead."

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-advances-to-concacaf-champions-league-final-1.1053262

Honestly, wtf?

Kurtis Larson is the latest member of the media to prove that he is need of a new prescription:

"A quick combination early in the first half saw substitute Tosaint Ricketts stride in alone on goal before squaring the ball for Osorio to score easily."

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-into-champions-league-final-after-1-1-draw-with-club-america

I have never seen anything like this - I can't even use the "he must have been watching a crappy feed" excuse for him since presumably he has access to TSN.........

3 hours ago, rightback said:

The ref turned out to be absolutely superb. He's reffing at the World Cup this summer too.

yeah, the ref was truly in control and did an amazing job. Apparently his taking part in this competition is part of a swap organized between the two federations, which means a high level game in Asia will soon experience the shit show of CONCACAF officiating we've all endured for far too long.

Pretty much the worst idea for a reality TV show: "Ref Swap: Take Our Refs, Please!"

25 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Kurtis Larson is the latest member of the media to prove that he is need of a new prescription:

"A quick combination early in the first half saw substitute Tosaint Ricketts stride in alone on goal before squaring the ball for Osorio to score easily."

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-into-champions-league-final-after-1-1-draw-with-club-america

I have never seen anything like this - I can't even use the "he must have been watching a crappy feed" excuse for him since presumably he has access to TSN.........

He was in Mexico so its possible he didn't re-watch the goal and was just basing it off of what he saw live.

I thought Ricketts had passed it to Oso as well until I had re-watched the highlights this morning

Hilarious to see the Mexicans disbelief at a competent red who didn’t fall for all their antics.  They couldn’t believe it and all their tricks were laughed at. Why can’t concacaf refs who actually see this all the time act accordingly? It’s honesty a farce. Refs should always be from outside the confed for matches.. the purpose is to be unbiased so makes sense. 

26 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Hilarious to see the Mexicans disbelief at a competent red who didn’t fall for all their antics.  They couldn’t believe it and all their tricks were laughed at. Why can’t concacaf refs who actually see this all the time act accordingly? It’s honesty a farce. Refs should always be from outside the confed for matches.. the purpose is to be unbiased so makes sense. 

I believe that they did this in WCQ qualifying a few cycles ago.  I seem to recall a game Canada played whereby a UEFA ref handled it.   The experiment didn't last long. 

55 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I believe that they did this in WCQ qualifying a few cycles ago.  I seem to recall a game Canada played whereby a UEFA ref handled it.   The experiment didn't last long. 

Canada vs. Mexico in Toronto in 1993 had a German officiating crew, but they still screwed up to Canada's detriment but wrongly disallowing a Lyndon Hooper goal for offside which could have qualified us for the 1994 World Cup.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Canada vs. Mexico in Toronto in 1993 had a German officiating crew, but they still screwed up to Canada's detriment but wrongly disallowing a Lyndon Hooper goal for offside which could have qualified us for the 1994 World Cup.

Which suggests to me that there is no such thing as a "Concacaf Referee".  But what we get instead is "Referees that come from Concacaf" . Meaning,  they can likely appoint anyone they want regardless of the region they are from and hence travel cost and availability are probably what dictates the decision,

ps.: I seem to have this distict recollection (or might be wrong) that Pier Luigi Collina refereed a game involving Canada (gold cup or World Cup qualifier can't recall).

So Chivas have a really weird record this Clausura, they have a home record of 0-4-3 (W-D-L) for 3 pts. in 7 matches vs. 3-3-1 on the road for 12 pts.! They are 15th out of 18 in the league table (finished 13th in Apertura). They are 15th in GF and T-9th in GA, but only 2 clean sheets. No one in top 10 scoring.

Was it last season that John Van't Schip coached them to a mid-table finish? Not so bad in hindsight...

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

I loved watching the ref chuckling as he ignored the CA players and walking away when they tried to bully him. The ref in the first leg capitulated as soon as they swarmed him aggressively - it is why Gio got an early yellow for a relatively innocuous challenge.  Contrast with last night where the ref didn't get give any ground whatsoever.  Refreshing - and not just because you could see the rage on their faces.

Regarding the foul that led to the late pk that got many mentions in this thread.    If you look at the replay again,  dont look at the play that Bradley made, look instead at Drew Moor,  it may have been for a hand ball from Moor instead of that tackle that the PK was awarded. 

5 hours ago, Free kick said:

Regarding the foul that led to the late pk that got many mentions in this thread.    If you look at the replay again,  dont look at the play that Bradley made, look instead at Drew Moor,  it may have been for a hand ball from Moor instead of that tackle that the PK was awarded. 

Looks like the ball bounced off Hasler's leg, I think they gave it for the alleged Bradley foul though it is debatable who fouled who as neither player had the ball. It felt like another pity PK call in the last minute of injury time just to make the home team feel better as they got eliminated.

8 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Looks like the ball bounced off Hasler's leg, I think they gave it for the alleged Bradley foul though it is debatable who fouled who as neither player had the ball. It felt like another pity PK call in the last minute of injury time just to make the home team feel better as they got eliminated.

Although I can see why he made the call, I do agree about the pity call. Very similar to the Tigres final minutes...

1 hour ago, gator said:

That "pity call" apparently cost TFC the right to host the 2nd leg vs Chivas, TFC needs to stick with their formula, score at home and carry a lead to Mexico and score an away goal or two on the break!

How did that cost them the right to host the 2nd leg?  What stat decides that?  TFC advanced 4-2 while Chivas only advanced 1-0.

According to wikipedia, this is what the ranking is based on and if so, I don't see how the pity PK changed anything - it robbed TFC of 2 points which would have tied them with Chivas but they would have been +5 and still behind Chivas +10

Performance ranking

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Host
1 Mexico Guadalajara 6 4 1 1 11 1 +10 13 2nd leg
2 Canada Toronto FC 6 3 2 1 10 6 +4 11 1st leg

Archived