• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TFC may not have won the Cup but Canadian soccer was a winner tonight - nobody in Toronto even knew about this tourney the last time TFC got far in it but now tons of general sports fans do, and a great experience and performances from a bunch of young Canucks who will all be around the next time we have to go down south into these kind of climates for World Cup Qualifying and won't have the same fear they might have otherwise have had. Instead they will have confidence which can spread to their teammates. They won't be sunk by another woeful Michael Bradley PK in a shootout either. :(

Proud of the whole team though and Chivas can really thank their lucky stars that TFC was so banged up, even in the PK shootout when you know Altidore and Vazquez would have taken one

This game could have gone either way, it really was a great run through an absolute killer's row of the best teams in the continent (and Colorado). Also, Delgado's chance was really quite difficult, I don't think it was some massive failure that he missed that, but it really was the moment.

I also didn't like the Hamilton over Ricketts sub. Ricketts does nothing but score goals as a sub and work hard, both were what the team exactly needed at that point. Hamilton did next-to-nothing in his time out there. 

Did anyone else notice Aketxe standing apart from the rest of the team during the shootout? Weird look.

Very proud of the job they did, sucks to lose on penalties but thats Soccer eh??  No reason to hang their head, very good job beating 2 mexican team already and then getting a win in Mexico.   I hope the confidence Vanney has shown in Hamilton, Chapman and Morgan will spur them on to good seasons in MLS.  Once Auro, Aketxe, VDWL settle in and all the injuries heal up, they should be able to make up ground quickly and hopefully defend their MLS championship.  

GAAACKK, was going to be positive, wasnt going to vent but.......Delgado is going to take over Rickets old title as the guy that puts open chances 10 rows into the stands if this keeps up.   How many negative Audi index points do you get for blowing a chance to win the cup in stoppage time??  

12 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

This game could have gone either way, it really was a great run through an absolute killer's row of the best teams in the continent (and Colorado). Also, Delgado's chance was really quite difficult, I don't think it was some massive failure that he missed that, but it really was the moment.

I also didn't like the Hamilton over Ricketts sub. Ricketts does nothing but score goals as a sub and work hard, both were what the team exactly needed at that point. Hamilton did next-to-nothing in his time out there. 

Did anyone else notice Aketxe standing apart from the rest of the team during the shootout? Weird look.

I was also hoping for Ricketts.   That injection of pace would have been more valuable than what Hamilton could bring at this time.  Especially When everyone was tiring.  Ricketts hasnt shown much as a starter lately.  But as a sub,  i always like how he influenced a game. 

I think Vanney brought on Hamilton & Chapman ahead of Ricketts and Aketxe, respectively, because he was rewarding them for their superior performances on the weekend. I'm thinking Aketxe ahead of Ricketts meant that Aketxe would have been the 5th PK taker (unless it was Hamilton). I think the problem when Hamilton came on was losing the extra body in midfield, as Giovinco didn't really move into Hasler's spot so there were a lot of long balls played which the team didn't win in the air with their backs to the play. Combined with the tiredness that you normally see at the end of altitude matches, a lot of time was spent in their own zone. But when they broke through, they were the more dangerous of the two teams

I would like to see that Hamilton chance again (and will when I watch the full match again, missed much of the first half between flipping back and forth between tonight's other disappointing result for Toronto sports) because I'll be amazed if the ball never struck the Mexican defender's arms on the play. But then nobody claimed for a PK, so maybe it didn't.

The fact that they got that far with Osorio playing in Bradley's spot and Bradley playing in Moor's spot and Vazquez not fit and Morrow and Mavinga not there.........somewhat staggering. Just goes to show with Ashtone Morgan that you shouldn't write off a player because of a team that has a ton of depth. Same with the other three Canucks who played tonight (and who'd have thought Ryan Telfer would even make the bench in a Champions League final?)

What still bugs the hell out of me is the BS draw that they were handed in this tounament.   They drew the toughest possible opponent at every stage including the round of 16.  That took a toll on everyone and probably contributed to all the injuries.  A fair draw might have meant that they could rested some top talent against those other central american clubs that get beaten up on by even TFC of the 2009-2012 era.  That also impacted the League results and .scheduale.  But they never got to face the panamanian and Honduran clubs.

Well done TFC, what a great tournament, it will be hard to watch regular season MLS after these exciting 3 rounds of CCL against intriguing opponents! I have been critical of TFC for lack of CanCon in the past but so far this season Vanney has shown faith and confidence in several Canadians with Osorio and Morgan shining in this tournament, that only bodes well for our National Team!

Archived