Toulon Tournament (2018)

Lou

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know we have the wind at our back !st half, but excellent first half for us. We didn't play like 9-1 underdogs, and it appears the wind has died down a bit also, as it is the evening now in France.

Interesting to see what will happen  2nd half,  expect Portugal to bring in some re enforcement  and go ftw. At the same time, might open them up and we can steal a W.  Regardless, pleased so far with the performance. Impressed with Twardek, Liam, Daniels and Cornelius

Our wingers have looked really good. Twardek has surprised me as I was not expecting much from him but he has been impressive at times. He should have scored on that open header in tight. We'd be value for the 1-0 lead if he'd have put that in. David has been invisible at times, but he is dropping really deep to pick up the ball, interesting...

good result. was very impressed by our 1on1 defending, which we've struggled with in the past. got beat out wide a few times in the second half, but still didn't let Portugal get much going inside the box. I'd have to imagine that Cornelius is a top 4/5 cb in our senior depth chart right now. 

Twardek and Millar both did well out wide, Bair was pretty quiet when he came on and David didn't make much of an impact up top. As noted, David seemed to be playing pretty deep. 

Thought choineire added a lot when he came on, hope to see him start in the middle next game.

Was also surprised by Kinumbe, he had some good service out wide and seemed pretty skilled with the ball at his feet.

Yup 0-0 final. I was ready for us to bunker in the four minutes of injury time and instead we were pressing for the winner. I was impressed by the mentality. We made them put their big guns into the game and we still held them out. A solid result and a good performance.

cheers, matthew

That is a very respectable result for our squad, first time ever being invited to the tournament. Well done lads, baby steps, moving forward I'm sure we will develop that killer instinct and get the 3 points.

Side note, unfortunate Turkey bagged a winner with 5 mins to go in the other group game, otherwise there would be a 4 way tie in our group, oh well.

It's nice to see Canada holding their own against a top nation. Although Portugal's team is younger, they have undeniably more offensive talent and flair. Canada seemed composed and controlled - not something I have typically seen in Canadian soccer. Canada didn't force many passes and had minimal turnovers. 

3 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Thought choineire added a lot when he came on, hope to see him start in the middle next game.

Did Mathieu Choinière play in the no. 10 position? Wouldn't be surprised to see the Impact sign him to an MLS contract this summer. They'll probably sign Kinumbe and Bayiha too, and maybe a few others from their academy.

Archived