Toulon Tournament (2018)

Lou

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

For those of you who were able to see the game, could you confirm this is how they lined in a 4-1-4-1:

Pantemis

Legault, Dunn, Cornelius, Kinumbe

Shome (Norman)

Twardek (Bair), Okello, Daniels, Millar

David (Verhoeven)

more like a 4-3-3:

Pantemis

Shome, Daniels, Okello

Twardek David Millar

Norman, Verhoeven and Choineire all played in the midfield when they came on. Once David came off, Bair moved to forward

1 hour ago, Pottsy3 said:

more like a 4-3-3:

Pantemis

Shome, Daniels, Okello

Twardek David Millar

Norman, Verhoeven and Choineire all played in the midfield when they came on. Once David came off, Bair moved to forward

Tournament rules seem to allow for 4 subs. Okello was the first to come off. Choiniere went in for him IIRC

26 minutes ago, honestseveran said:

I'm blown away by his progression in such a short amount of time. Not sure if he was injured last year.

He played regularly for Toronto FC II last year. I think cutting his hair may have made him more aerodynamic.

I watched the match.  I wasn't blown away by any of the Canadian players but most were solid.  Legault at right back stood out and David looks a player especially when you consider he was likely the youngest on the pitch for both sides.  You can see why Okello is liked as he is very tall, rangy, and covers a lot of ground but his passing certainly needs to improve to get to the next level.  Cornelius has the physical attributes and is a good defender but gave the ball away a lot when pressured.  Dunn is big and strong and quick (and also young).  You can see him having a future as he reminds me of Henry (including the brain farts with the ball).  Shome was average.  Daniels can certainly run with the ball at his feet but for someone playing the 10 role, he wasn't very creative at all.  Twardek was probably one of Canada's best players but I think that was more due to the fact that he was 2 years older than most of the Portuguese players so could physically manhandle them...his skill definitely let him down when he created opportunities for himself to cross or otherwise.

As for the subs, none of them stood out although Choniere had a good run and chance right when he came on.  You can definitely see the skill with Verhoeven but would need to see more of him to have a better judgment.

The keeper really had no work to do so really no comment there.

As for Herdman, he seemed to have gotten his tactics quite right and out coached the Portuguese manager who never seemed to be able to adjust to the pressure from Canada even into the second half.  We probably had as much of the ball as they did which is gotta be a first for us playing a side like Portugal who is known for possession.  I liked how he brought Daniels up to pressure up high with David...he also had the midfield constantly switching positions both in defense and attack which kept them off balance.  Also, when a player chased someone out of position he kept going but another player moved into his position so the side kept its shape.  There was one point in the second half where David tracked back so Okello (who is a defensive mid) moved up to take his spot at striker and actually continued to pressure the ball there when it was played back.  I found the tactics quite interesting and wondered whether they would translate to the senior game.

I few hightlights don't show the whole match.  He shut down most of the attacks.  On the highlights he gets beaten twice.  The first where he is double teaming the player and that player makes a nice play to split them; the second is where he forces his man inside but another overlaps to the outside and beats him for pace.  Sure. he could have done better in both situations but neither was a major error and both were good play by the Portuguese

On 5/29/2018 at 2:12 PM, masster said:

The game is available on demand on DAZN. 

Signed up for DAZN.  Even though I won some money on Bet365 in order to watch the game last time.... I didn't like the postage stamp sized window.

The DAZN on demand stream is really good quality. 

Looking forward to the game tomorrow. 

JM

I don’t think many of us are surprised that we drew Portugal.. the problem with Canada is always the next game.  When we play a supposedly weaker (but older) team we seem to drop a level and don’t have the killer instinct.  It would be amazing to come out and get a victory.

Archived