Toulon Tournament (2018)

Lou

Too bad there are not more 97’s and even 98’s on this squad , just from looking at the other teams a lot of them seem to be made up of a majority of 97’s and 98’s where the Canadian squad has it seems only 4 97’s and it looks like one 98, which will put this team already at a bit of unfair disadvantage playing against older squads here and on top of that countries that have some pretty good histories of producing good soccer players . Moreover, Canada can use tournaments like this to start building a team to try and qualify for the next Olympics in 2020 and tournament that just like the World Cup we have not qualified since 1984?  The oldest players can be is 23 in 2020 which means guys born in 1997 are eligible , therefore you are going to want more players born in 97 and 98 when trying to qualify because the other CONCACAF countries will have a majority of 97’s and 98’s . Age makes a big difference at these ages and a lot of times it’s teams with more under 22’s and under 23’s that will qualify out of CONCACAF for the Olympics , so if Canada shows up with just a few 97’s and 98’s at the CONCACAF Olympic qualifying it’s already going to be difficult before they even start qualifying , don’t underestimate how much age still plays a factor at these age limit events, so your going to want to bring a team with more 97’s and 98’s , that’s why it would have been nice to have brought more 97’s and 98’s to this tournament and start team building towards the Olympic qualifying tournament that is coming soon.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our first game versus Portugal is on beIN on tape delay the next morning 9am MT. We are being bumped for a Barca-Espanyol match that must be months old...the only match not being shown live in the first round of matches. Maybe beIN doesn't own Canadian rights or something?

He is rated as one of Liverpool's best prospects and they have a fantastic track record in recent years. Would be shocked if he didn't stick in the environment and playing style he is already striving in. 

Definitely see a Rangers loan, as speculated on here, happening.

Would only see him in Portugal if he didn't make the grade in the UK. Of all the league's he might end up Portugal wouldn't be top 5 and barely 10 imo.

I hear ya "1996", age is still a big factor at U21 and will probably impact our results. I also don't see us having nearly as much first team professional experience as our opponents which will be an even bigger factor.

Someone compared the worst prospects on this team to our 2007 U20 starters. Just have a look at the professional exp. those guys already had at the age of 20 and then have a good look at where these kids are at professionally and try to be critical and unbiased. 

3 hours ago, 1996 said:

Too bad there are not more 97’s and even 98’s on this squad , just from looking at the other teams a lot of them seem to be made up of a majority of 97’s and 98’s where the Canadian squad has it seems only 4 97’s and it looks like one 98, which will put this team already at a bit of unfair disadvantage playing against older squads here and on top of that countries that have some pretty good histories of producing good soccer players . Moreover, Canada can use tournaments like this to start building a team to try and qualify for the next Olympics in 2020 and tournament that just like the World Cup we have not qualified since 1984?  The oldest players can be is 23 in 2020 which means guys born in 1997 are eligible , therefore you are going to want more players born in 97 and 98 when trying to qualify because the other CONCACAF countries will have a majority of 97’s and 98’s . Age makes a big difference at these ages and a lot of times it’s teams with more under 22’s and under 23’s that will qualify out of CONCACAF for the Olympics , so if Canada shows up with just a few 97’s and 98’s at the CONCACAF Olympic qualifying it’s already going to be difficult before they even start qualifying , don’t underestimate how much age still plays a factor at these age limit events, so your going to want to bring a team with more 97’s and 98’s , that’s why it would have been nice to have brought more 97’s and 98’s to this tournament and start team building towards the Olympic qualifying tournament that is coming soon.

The one player that should’ve been Pushed hard for and maybe  they did  but I doubt it, would have been LB Cristián Gutiérrez 97.  This tournament would’ve been perfect coming out party  for him to Team Canada and to showcase  his talent to Europe.  He would’ve been a huge addition,  difference maker for sure.  Also it’s kind of stupid that  Davies is not there ! 

3 hours ago, 1996 said:

Portugal brought their U19 team (99s and younger) while Turkey brought their U20 team (98s and younger).  We have a slight age advantage there.  There are a few other players that are either playing regularly for their club teams (Davies, Reid, Fraser, Gutierrez) or hurt (Godinho, Brault, Choiniere)).  Not sure why a guy like Zanatta wasn't called 

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

Portugal brought their U19 team (99s and younger) while Turkey brought their U20 team (98s and younger).  We have a slight age advantage there.  There are a few other players that are either playing regularly for their club teams (Davies, Reid, Fraser, Gutierrez) or hurt (Godinho, Brault, Choiniere)).  Not sure why a guy like Zanatta wasn't called 

We should be competitive with Portugal and Turkey then, but i'd bet they have just as many kids with pro exp. as we do. If we had all of our best players for this tournament i think we'd have a chance of advancing to the semi's but i just don't see it with this group.

You can watch the game on bet365 TV.  You need an account with $ on it, to watch their stream. 

I believe min deposit is $5 might be $10.

Since bet365 have a live TV stream I'm sure the stream will be somewhere online, if you dont have a bet 365 account with funds on it. 

For everyone being optimistic about Portugal sending a young team. They brought all 1999-born players. That age group won the UEFA U17s in 2016. It's not the same team, but the attacking trio from the U17s — Domingos Quina, João Filipe and José Gomes — plus d-mid Florentino Luis (who were all named to the team of the tournament) will be there. Gomes is the all-time top scorer in UEFA U17 history. Their left back Ruben Vinagre is very good too. He played nine games with Wolves this season on loan from Monaco.

Just some context ahead of tomorrow's opener. This will be a very tough test for this group.

cheers, matthew

23 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

OK I was going to be lazy and just ask if someone had the game times but I did it myself:

vs Portugal Monday May 28th 1:30pm EST

vs Turkey Thursday May 31st 1:30pm EST

vs Japan Sunday June 3rd 9:00am EST

Guide listings show Portugal v Tunisia today at 130est on BeIn, not Canada.

9 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

I'll try and post the hard link from the html page source from my bet365 account that will hopefully override the log in.

You can try but it has never worked for me. Sends ppl to the login page.

Archived