Toulon Tournament (2018)

Lou

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MASSIVE RESULT!

MASSIVE PERFORMANCE so far this tourney.  Excellent position going into final group match.  Everything to play for in the final group match.

Really impressed with Busti confidence, composure and distribution,. Don't often see strong ball distribution from our goalies wearing the Red & White. 

Cornelius is gaining more and more confidence every game also at the back.

So pumped and happy for these guys!

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

We're we playing a U-21 (under 23 team) this time? The Portugal team was U-19 I think...

Portugal was u19 yes and this Turkey team is u20 according to soccerway.  Our match against Japan might be our toughest yet. 

Only watched second half and my stream was cutting in and out but I can’t say anyone really stood out.. seemed like pretty basic football tbh.  Millar had one nice play where he got the ball on halfway, held it up and played a beautiful through ball to an overlapping midfielder that led to a corner.

Our centre backs stood out just for their size.. very dominant.  

Perfect ball in by Verhoeven on the goal.. was sitting there for someone but it went in anyway.

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Turkey brought a U20 team according to soccer24.com.

It's basically their UEFA U21 team. Their keeper and at least two of the defenders are 97s. Probably more, but those are the guys I know.

GL> yup 80-minute matches and four subs.

Great result. Couldn't agree more about the mentality. Late on we're finding another gear and getting after it. We imposed ourselves on the match from 68-75 or so. Against Portugal we were on the front foot in added time. That's rare and exciting to see.

I didn't think it was as complete a performance as the Portugal match was, but we were definitely more committed to attacking and it paid off.

cheers, matthew 

12 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

We're we playing a U-21 (under 23 team) this time? The Portugal team was U-19 I think...

Yes we were. This is a very good result. Let's hope the boys can avoid the typical Canadian letdown next game.

edit: Turkey have a number of 97's with Super Lig experience, it is not a U20 team as Soccerway states.

Just now, apbsmith said:

Sorry for my ignorance... I am assuming he has Italian and Canadian citizenship?

Would this tourney count, meaning if he wanted to go play for Italy he would have to use his one time switch?

No it doesn't count, considered a youth friendly.

Should probably be noted that Herdman was watching from the stands for a better tactical view, he came back down to the bench about halfway through the second half. I don't think it is a coincidence that the guys turned on the heat when he came back to the bench. He's been known to be a great motivator. This is a good sign for the MNT, I have a feeling we'll be going after wins, not settling for draws in WCQ.

2 minutes ago, shermanator said:

So, maybe Herdman knows what he's doing...

So far from the small sample we've seen he is doing well, I'm going to wait a while until I anoint him the saviour of Canadian soccer!?

5 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Not for sure, only the best placed 2nd team goes through so if we tie and Turkey or Portugal win which is very likely, we’re 2nd and not guaranteed.

Canada with 4 points, Japan 3, Turkey 3, Portugal 1. So if we tie Japan, only a win by Turkey will knock us off finishing first

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

Canada with 4 points, Japan 3, Turkey 3, Portugal 1. So if we tie Japan, only a win by Turkey will knock us off finishing first

You’re right, come on Portugal! But really we’ll probably be our own worst enemy as usual.

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

You’re right, come on Portugal! But really we’ll probably be our own worst enemy as usual.

The better way to look at it is that we are completely in control our destiny; if we beat Japan we're guaranteed to win the group and make the knockout round. That should be our only goal going into the game, no settling for a draw and letting the winds of fate decide.

Archived