Toulon Tournament (2018)

Lou

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Brazilero said:

Daniels is a midfielder. Largely ineffective up top. David will play better with better players around him. Selection was very poor for this level as there are so many more talented players available.

Like who ???  Names please 

yes  there are a few that definitely should’ve made the team but many more ? 

47 minutes ago, Brazilero said:

Daniels is a midfielder. Largely ineffective up top. David will play better with better players around him. Selection was very poor for this level as there are so many more talented players available.

9 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Like who ???  Names please 

yes  there are a few that definitely should’ve made the team but many more ? 

Yeah there are two things that bother me about the claim that selection was poor:

1. What guys that weren't injured or attempted to be called up realistically should have been called?

2. Who the heck has the ability to watch all these kids from all these different leagues enough times to make any sort of claim that the selection was really bad considering we exceeded expectations?

On 6/8/2018 at 10:38 AM, Brazilero said:

I thought Zambrano was a very good option for the Men's program. Herdsman and Biello need time to marinate, so they will obviously play it safe. However, our talent pool has players that we could use to play a bit riskier and open up a bit. These players have good speed and technical ability. We tend to select the same type of players. Hard working, hard tackling, tactically sound, but not enough creativity. At some point we need to select athletes that represent a change in tactics and strategy. Sometimes those athletes are not model citizens but their talent is very high. we need to see those players at some point, because they are game changers. Time for a change in our thinking and recruitment. Liam Miller is a great young player, but they need to let him go for it and carve out his own identity within the team. Just my two cents.

So Zambrano was good, but Herdman is not good enough because of finishing 6th.

Lets just remember Herdman/Biello just finished 6th after playing Portugal, Turkey, Japan, and France. Zambrano lost in the quarterfinals (so equivalent to finishing 5th-8th) in the Gold Cup after playing French Guiana, Costa Rica, Honduras, and Jamaica. Alright then.

33 minutes ago, Brazilero said:

If you don't know which players are available, not my problem. It is a large pool, so figure it out. Gold Cup is full national team Kent, so give it a rest with your analogy. You're wrong, you'll see.

So you can’t name one player that you would have taken instead?

What’s the point in posting here? 

just read an article dated June 9th in the Toronto Star which quoted Herdman as saying that 8 of our best U21 players declined the invite to Toulon. I assume that includes Davies, Fraser, Akinola, Adonija Reid and Tabla…..which means there were 3 others who were approached and declined. ……. Dom Iankov, Zoran Bassong and possibly Ferdi K?

https://www.thetorontostar.com/sports/worldcup/2018/06/09/successful-world-cup-bid-could-unite-canadian-soccer.html

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

just read an article dated June 9th in the Toronto Star which quoted Herdman as saying that 8 of our best U21 players declined the invite to Toulon. I assume that includes Davies, Fraser, Akinola, Adonija Reid and Tabla…..which means there were 3 others who were approached and declined. ……. Dom Iankov, Zoran Bassong and possibly Ferdi K?

https://www.thetorontostar.com/sports/worldcup/2018/06/09/successful-world-cup-bid-could-unite-canadian-soccer.html

Brault- Guilland  and Cristan Gutierrez could also be part of that list 

41 minutes ago, Brazilero said:

Good work Kadenge. There are even more that are very talented who refuse to join the CMNT. Wonder why? Common theme. Eyes wide shut in Canada...

Because sometimes there are good explanations.

Who are these players you speak of?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:15 PM, Brazilero said:

Good work Kadenge. There are even more that are very talented who refuse to join the CMNT. Wonder why? Common theme. Eyes wide shut in Canada...

Maybe because the players who are talented, who have refused to play for Canada is because maybe they feel a stronger sense of identity when it comes to the other country that they have roots or perhaps they were born in that other country since most of those players have dual nationalities.

10 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

Maybe because the players who are talented, who have refused to play for Canada is because maybe they feel a stronger sense of identity when it comes to the other country that they have roots or perhaps they were born in that other country since most of those players have dual nationalities.

You are right.  If any of my cousins had been good enough for Holland the decision would have been a difficult one.

But I think @Brazilero is insinuating there is some deep systemic issue with CSA that drives players away.  Of course the CSA has plenty of issues but since he won't elaborate or name any of these supremely talented youth there isn't much point in responding.  

We all know about Tabla but CSA has always tried to bring him into the fold.  Iankov is still a story in progress but there will always be those cases.  Verhoeven on the other hand is back and Iankov might be someday too.

@CanucksAbroad does a great job of tracking our youth and while we have plenty of dual national scenarios I'm not seeing much reality in this alleged mass exodus of talented youth.  Our best young players were at Toulon, excepting injuries, club commitments, and several like Iankov who have legitimate cultural ties to other countries.

2 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

You are right.  If any of my cousins had been good enough for Holland the decision would have been a difficult one.

But I think @Brazilero is insinuating there is some deep systemic issue with CSA that drives players away.  Of course the CSA has plenty of issues but since he won't elaborate or name any of these supremely talented youth there isn't much point in responding.  

We all know about Tabla but CSA has always tried to bring him into the fold.  Iankov is still a story in progress but there will always be those cases.  Verhoeven on the other hand is back and Iankov might be someday too.

@CanucksAbroad does a great job of tracking our youth and while we have plenty of dual national scenarios I'm not seeing much reality in this alleged mass exodus of talented youth.  Our best young players were at Toulon, excepting injuries, club commitments, and several like Iankov who have legitimate cultural ties to other countries.

Then that's good that well most of our young players were at Toulon, because then with that tournament not only do they gain more experience with the national team but they could potentially be good enough to play for Canada in the CONCACAF Nations League.

Archived