Toulon Tournament (2018)

Lou

8 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I'm all for new faces,  but this is where I question is this the right time/right tournament to bring in unknowns? This tournament is huge and very important.  There's a huge difference between playing against Honduras  El Salvador  Saint kitts and playing against  France England Portugal Japan.  This tournament is all about showcasing canada is best talent and sorry to say it's not there.  We need to play More Friendlies, play in more tournaments and more camps.  That's where you can experiment that's where you can actually see the talent pool. But hey I got be wrong. 

If you have been following this board, and our Youth teams, for a while, none of these players are unknowns.  According to reports and the one game I watched, Legault was one of our more impressive players at the last U17WC qualifiers.

And where has Harrycoyster been lately?  He usually has some pretty good insight on our young players.  I would have thought he would be all over this thread.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Ivan said:

If you have been following this board, and our Youth teams, for a while, none of these players are unknowns.  According to reports and the one game I watched, Legault was one of our more impressive players at the last U17WC qualifiers.

And where has Harrycoyster been lately?  He usually has some pretty good insight on our young players.  I would have thought he would be all over this thread.

I only used Legault because of the name, to play on the Jake/Jack Ruby bit earlier. There are a few young faces who haven't regularly been part of the programme - that's what I mean, really. I follow this board pretty closely too, and most of these guys have been discussed (if not part of the programme) but can't say a thing about Ruby, Bair, Bayiha and Kinumbe - I don't think that's a bad thing or should cause me to lament that someone else was not selected. On the other hand, really excited Verhoeven  has answered the call!

@harrycoyster you have been summoned.

12 hours ago, shamrock said:

Strange that you say that as there are a lot of youth players selected. Being on an MLS roster beats all of those guys. I'm sure he would have played a lot if he hadn't been recalled from Ottawa. 

This is debateable. ....Okello, Dunn, Daniels all trains with TFCs first team. Meaning they are training with thee best MLS team.

It's also questionable and hypothetical to say he would've played if he wasnt called back considering in the 2 or 3 weeks that he was there he didnt play a single game.

All in all the competition they are facing are at the end of their respective seasons - meaning they are match fit. 

But I'll be interested to see how he does.

Come on man, half of this team hasn't played 1 single professional game. He played an entire season with FCE (it's best season to be precise). And now you some how make the case that he was recalled by Montreal because he was too bad for Ottawa? Doesn't make sense at all bro. 

4 hours ago, shamrock said:

Come on man, half of this team hasn't played 1 single professional game. He played an entire season with FCE (it's best season to be precise). And now you some how make the case that he was recalled by Montreal because he was too bad for Ottawa? Doesn't make sense at all bro. 

C'monn buddy he hasn't played for FCE since 2016. If your going on that merit, then my comparison would be Hanson Boakai's. Shome's last and only game for Montreal was an 8 minute cameo appearance against  NE Revolution on October 22 of last year. Again for me playing professional minutes should be weighed more, but your right....half the team hasn't played a single professional game.....but at least half the team is at least performing or playing with their youth team or has consistently played 90 minute competitive games in a year is my point. 

No youth player is that good (unless their at a world renowned club) to get called up to a youth team for a prestigious tournament without playing any games.....plain and simple. That's my main point. 

I was going to mention Theo Blair, but when I looked him up, he's consistently scoring in the USSDA on a top team. Whether that warrants a call up is up for discussion, but you can't argue the players form. How do you consider Shamit form? For me it's simply "lack thereof".

My main point is, Canada has progressed in the sense that we have a lot of youth players playing all over the place. If they are playing for their club or youth teams it means that the club see's something in them or they are working hard to be where they are at. We've progressed past the Unattached FC....we need to progress past the 0 games/minutes call ups. It's demotivating for players.

Again how long ago was that...lol 2 years ago? 

Promising Duwayne Ewart was playing with the riverhounds and played 74 mins that same W....where is he now. 

2 years is a lot of time for a footballer - ask Ryan Telfer. 

You can say the same about half this squad. You think playing a youth game equals a professional game I tell you it's not. An intra-squad training game with Montreal beats whatever USSD whatever team you're on. Play with grown man not little kids. The strongest opposition they're getting comes from players with PRO experience, just watch. 

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I bet $100 Shome is one of our better central mids this tournament.

You’re  probably right.  The midfielder that I am excited to see is Okello. He’s a player that could be  The next  Hutchinson. I hope  they train together soon. 

On 5/18/2018 at 9:07 AM, BCM1555362349 said:

I only used Legault because of the name, to play on the Jake/Jack Ruby bit earlier. There are a few young faces who haven't regularly been part of the programme - that's what I mean, really. I follow this board pretty closely too, and most of these guys have been discussed (if not part of the programme) but can't say a thing about Ruby, Bair, Bayiha and Kinumbe - I don't think that's a bad thing or should cause me to lament that someone else was not selected. On the other hand, really excited Verhoeven  has answered the call!

@harrycoyster you have been summoned.

On 5/18/2018 at 8:36 AM, Ivan said:

Started a new job, have a newborn, and moved into a new house...so I've been a bit busy the last two months.

I haven't been the biggest fan of CSA decision making over the last few months, but I really like this roster. We all like to get excited about the players with superstar potential, but the thing you really look for when building a good national team program is depth. Any country can produce a world class player once in a blue moon, but the countries that do it consistently are able to because the level of competition within the pool demands an even higher level. Regularly producing world class players requires a pool of European calibre players which itself must be built upon a pool of MLS calibre players and so on. We are still early in that process, but the worst players on this roster are more talented than the kids who were starting for our u20s ten years ago. That's what everybody should be excited about.

Bummed that Ruby had to pull out as I think this could have been his coming out party. He's the best pure defending prospect in any of the MLS pipelines. Great to see Verhoeven is open to representing Canada, as he's probably been the best Canadian in USL so far this season. His ability to pass and control the ball is well above USL quality and honestly the Caps could use him right now. 

Archived