Toulon Tournament (2018)

Lou

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, matty said:

Isn't this like what everyone wanted to see the youth programs do? I'd say 2 in 2 years is a nice start. Keep up the good work on this front CSA

Absolutely. I've been spouting off about the U23's being neglected for over a decade so this is definitely a positive.

5 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Absolutely. I've been spouting off about the U23's being neglected for over a decade so this is definitely a positive.

100% agree. Curious to see if Herdman runs this team in addition to the senior team (like how OZ and Floro) did. One of my biggest hope is that they assign someone else to run it like Findlay or Stalteri.

23 hours ago, matty said:

100% agree. Curious to see if Herdman runs this team in addition to the senior team (like how OZ and Floro) did. One of my biggest hope is that they assign someone else to run it like Findlay or Stalteri.

I actually disagree with this, I think Herdman's more qualified for this job then the first team. He has experience at Olympic qualifying and Olympic tourneys obviously. Whereas with the Men's team he might be questioned on his prior experience, with the Olympic team he actually has more experience than any of the other coaches. He will be able to do his shtick, inspire them for a tourney. 

1 hour ago, BradMack said:

I actually disagree with this, I think Herdman's more qualified for this job then the first team. He has experience at Olympic qualifying and Olympic tourneys obviously. Whereas with the Men's team he might be questioned on his prior experience, with the Olympic team he actually has more experience than any of the other coaches. He will be able to do his shtick, inspire them for a tourney. 

i get that line of thinking completely and feel it is valid. my issue is simply because i personally am not a fan of the current approach of having the same coach running both teams. i feel handling both teams is a challenge that our coaches should not have to deal with and that having a person in charge of each would increase the focus each team is given. i also have memory of, and correct me if i'm wrong, floro missing the ghana game back in 2015 to coach at the olympic tournament which wasn't a good look for the program as a whole i felt.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We confirmed for this tournament a few years ago if I recall correctly and then pulled out. Just saying, I'd like to get the CSA confirmation first. 

Very high profile tournament and usually nations send top players.  

https://canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-s-men-s-national-youth-program-to-participate-in-international-tournament-p161381

I mean they don't mention Toulon, but that's the actual name of the tournament.

Herdman should be at the helm for U23 / olympic team since there will be overlap with current MNT players and many of the current U23 / Olympic players would / should feature in LON and next WCQ cycles so every chance for him to select and manage should be exploited. Maybe the argument extends to U20's too though presumably the best U20s would be included in U23 action. U17 and U15 maybe not as critical for him coach but I thought oversight and control all the way down was part of his mandate. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived