Jonathan David

Vince193

Newcastle x Arsenal was actually the main game they were showing on the flight, so I watched that one in its entirety. Newcastle are excellent on defence, but outside of Almiron (2nd best MLS developped player ever??), they have so little offence. It looks like they're headed to Champions League- if Almiron can sustain his form, you add David, and that's a team that might be able to do a lot of damage.

I know with the FFP rules, they can't go out and buy every single player since City was able to, but I think they're at the level where they can start going out for some big game hunting- getting David, maybe someone else as well, and they could seriously threaten to win the league in the next couple years.

More and more it seems like he's going to end up at either ManU or Newcastle. I don't know if the Harry Kane leaving Spurs rumour is still a thing, or ever was for that matter, but maybe David is his replacement too.

4 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Newcastle x Arsenal was actually the main game they were showing on the flight, so I watched that one in its entirety. Newcastle are excellent on defence, but outside of Almiron (2nd best MLS developped player ever??), they have so little offence. It looks like they're headed to Champions League- if Almiron can sustain his form, you add David, and that's a team that might be able to do a lot of damage.

I know with the FFP rules, they can't go out and buy every single player since City was able to, but I think they're at the level where they can start going out for some big game hunting- getting David, maybe someone else as well, and they could seriously threaten to win the league in the next couple years.

More and more it seems like he's going to end up at either ManU or Newcastle. I don't know if the Harry Kane leaving Spurs rumour is still a thing, or ever was for that matter, but maybe David is his replacement too.

Good post.

To add to that, I read an article the other day (or maybe it was a video) about how Newcastle is looking to be a good bet for Champions League next season, but they don't have any strikers with CL experience. The only one is Isak and that was a single appearance back when he was starting his career at Dortmund. 

David has 8 games and 3 goals under his belt in the Champions League. That fills a big experience hole up top when it comes to that competition, at least. 

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Good post.

To add to that, I read an article the other day (or maybe it was a video) about how Newcastle is looking to be a good bet for Champions League next season, but they don't have any strikers with CL experience. The only one is Isak and that was a single appearance back when he was starting his career at Dortmund. 

David has 8 games and 3 goals under his belt in the Champions League. That fills a big experience hole up top when it comes to that competition, at least. 

Yeah, they're currently in 3rd, 4 points safe of Champions League qualifications, and with Liverpool sinking and Chelsea not looking very good at all, I think they're a pretty safe bet, but they'll have to weather the transfer storm when the big teams start throwing around stupid money to any player outside of the top 5 league with a bit of hype.

Speaking of Champions League experience, Liverpool is looking for midfield reinforcements and their ownership is crying poor- I think there's a certain mid at Porto who could help them out for a very low fee.

31 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Aren’t Newcastle back amongst the rich clubs now?

They are, but because of the financial rules, they can't spend like the top 6 teams can, at least not yet. Also, at JD's level, he actually gets to somewhat choose the team he goes to, and a guy of his age, when he was growing up watching soccer, I don't even think Newcastle was a premier league team, so with all the offers he's turned down already, he could very well turn them down and wait for a club he has more of an emotional attachment to to come along.

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

There is a rumour that Ronaldo's new contract includes a clause that he can be loaned to Newcastle of they make the Champions League 

Their manager came out yesterday and said it was a lie. Which could also mean nothing, but they're denying it as of now.

Edited by InglewoodJack

58 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

They are, but because of the financial rules, they can't spend like the top 6 teams can, at least not yet. Also, at JD's level, he actually gets to somewhat choose the team he goes to, and a guy of his age, when he was growing up watching soccer, I don't even think Newcastle was a premier league team, so with all the offers he's turned down already, he could very well turn them down and wait for a club he has more of an emotional attachment to to come along.

I am not sure that is accurate. Of course Newcastle does not have infinite spending power but I dont believe that its FFP that is restricting them.

Newcastle was ranked 29th in the world for revenues in 2020. With their new owners, that revenues is going to skyrocket. Upgraded stadium, increased media/sponsorship deals, merchandise, and more prize money. I believe you can lose 60M over 3 years and still comply with FFP. Newcastle can look at their forecasts and then spend accordingly (which would most likely be on par with the top 6 teams). If they fail to reach their forecasts, they still have 2 years to adjust accordingly. However, so many of their players have increased in value tremendously that they have a safety net in selling off some assets if need be. Joelinton, Botman, Guimeras, Pope, Almiron, St max. They are also buying up youngsters who are likely to 10x their value. Finally, as the squad improves, they raise revenues from sales of players who will no longer be needed. Revenue forecasts of newcastle within 3 years are not going to be substantially different from the big 6. Therefore, newcastle can spend today based on forecasts in the future. (of course there is risk, but there is also risk to not spending and losing momentum on your revenue streams - I think its a risk they are willing to take as the risk isnt about losing money since they are loaded, its about breaching FFP which isnt that big of a deal) 

Next, you can play with the numbers from an accounting perspective. Look at how Barca has literally 0 money and room within FFP, yet they sign loads of players. Newcastle can amortize their signings over many years and use other accounting tricks to spread out their risk even further. 

Also what is the punishment for breaching FFP? Its a bit of a slap on the wrist. If newcastle turns into a superpower but has to pay a fine and maybe gets a point deduction for one year, then surely the owners have to consider this as a potentially good trade. Besiktas, Roma, PSG, Juve, Monoco etc have all breached FFP and has it really hindered any of them? 

Newcastle has been extremely clear on how they want their takeover to occur. Its slow and methodical transfers. Their signings have all been brilliant so far. I really dont believe FFP is the reason that newcastle spends or doesnt spend on a guy like JD. 

Edited by Bigandy

3 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I am not sure that is accurate. Of course Newcastle does not have infinite spending power but I dont believe that its FFP that is restricting them.

Newcastle was ranked 29th in the world for revenues in 2020. With their new owners, that revenues is going to skyrocket. Upgraded stadium, increased media/sponsorship deals, merchandise, and more prize money. I believe you can lose 60M over 3 years and still comply with FFP. Newcastle can look at their forecasts and then spend accordingly (which would most likely be on par with the top 6 teams). If they fail to reach their forecasts, they still have 2 years to adjust accordingly. However, so many of their players have increased in value tremendously that they have a safety net in selling off some assets if need be. Joelinton, Botman, Guimeras, Pope, Almiron, St max. They are also buying up youngsters who are likely to 10x their value. Finally, as the squad improves, they raise revenues from sales of players who will no longer be needed. Revenue forecasts of newcastle within 3 years are not going to be substantially different from the big 6. Therefore, newcastle can spend today based on forecasts in the future. (of course there is risk, but there is also risk to not spending and losing momentum on your revenue streams - I think its a risk they are willing to take as the risk isnt about losing money since they are loaded, its about breaching FFP which isnt that big of a deal) 

Next, you can play with the numbers from an accounting perspective. Look at how Barca has literally 0 money and room within FFP, yet they sign loads of players. Newcastle can amortize their signings over many years and use other accounting tricks to spread out their risk even further. 

Newcastle has been extremely clear on how they want their takeover to occur. Its slow and methodical transfers. Their signings have all been brilliant so far. I really dont believe FFP is the reason that newcastle spends or doesnt spend on a guy like JD. 

I'm not saying FFP is why they won't acquire him- they can definitely afford his 40M or so transfer fee which isn't even a particularly high premier league fee, I'm saying he may not want to play for them. He's made his lifelong love of English football well known, and with the offers he's rejected, it's possible he's waiting for an offer from a club he loved as a kid- Chelsea, Arsenal, Man United, etc.

As for FFP, Newcastle has to get progressively better every year, which is what they're doing, but there's a reason why they aren't part of the Jude Bellingham rumors, or the Enzo Fernandez rumors, or the Cody Gakpo rumors, etc. They have to moneyball their team, which they've been incredibly successful at, and soon enough, they're probably going to spend as much as they can provided the world's greatest players want to move to northeast England.

40 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I'm not saying FFP is why they won't acquire him- they can definitely afford his 40M or so transfer fee which isn't even a particularly high premier league fee, I'm saying he may not want to play for them. He's made his lifelong love of English football well known, and with the offers he's rejected, it's possible he's waiting for an offer from a club he loved as a kid- Chelsea, Arsenal, Man United, etc.

As for FFP, Newcastle has to get progressively better every year, which is what they're doing, but there's a reason why they aren't part of the Jude Bellingham rumors, or the Enzo Fernandez rumors, or the Cody Gakpo rumors, etc. They have to moneyball their team, which they've been incredibly successful at, and soon enough, they're probably going to spend as much as they can provided the world's greatest players want to move to northeast England.

I was just referring to your "They are, but because of the financial rules, they can't spend like the top 6 teams can, at least not yet" statement. 

Gakpo is 37 million. Bellingham is probably the most desired talent in the world, fernandez is a close second and is probably going for 85 mil according to romano. Its not FFP that is the issue for newcastle. Its not that they have to moneyball things. They could afford all of these players. They paid about 75m for isak.  

There are 2 reasons that they arent getting top tier talent. 
1. They are choosing to grow slowly for team building

2. The players dont want to join newcastle. 

It is not because of FFP they arent getting gakpo and fernandez (as evidenced by the ability to pay for isak).