CPL General

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

This is a solid point

But also worth noting that while some clubs (Forge) are hiring left and right, some like York 9 only have a handful of employees. Might indicate a bit of separation on the willingness of some to spend

Which, in my opinion, is why a soft cap with a luxury tax up to a hard cap makes so much sense. Let the richer owners support the smaller ones in the act of boosting their roster (to a point, I don't want to see large disparities)

Though I guess the one saving grace for York is that we do have the whole coaching team in place. It seems most clubs only have a manager and maybe assistant manager (unless of course other teams just didn't bother announcing coaches)

2 minutes ago, Toronto Ruffrider said:

That's what I thought, but then I seem to remember reading somewhere on this board that the 1.5M quoted included management. It would take me too long to try to dig that up.

I think Rollins was initially unsure, but when Milton said average salaries in the 40,000 to 60,000 range it seemed fairly certain that the 1.5M figure was for salary, at least in Hamilton's view

Just now, Complete Homer said:

I think Rollins was initially unsure, but when Milton said average salaries in the 40,000 to 60,000 range it seemed fairly certain that the 1.5M figure was for salary, at least in Hamilton's view

I think you're right. With the rest of the expenses factored in, it's possible that CanPL teams started to revisit this cap figure. Who knows at this point - we need to hear some hard numbers from the league itself, so all we can do is wait and see.

27 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

The way I remember it is that the first time budgets were brought up years ago (3 years ago maybe?) was Rollins saying he heard the total team budget would be 3 million and he hypothesized that half of that would go to player salaries, hence 1.5 million. That number seemed to be repeated for a long time by fans, and then much later Milton reported numbers, seemingly from his own sources, that echoed the 1.5 million.

Apologies to whoever else reported it that I forget.

As far as player acquisitions and roster building in North America first 

When you look at the 75 Canadians in USL  

Half of them are with Ottawa Fury or TFC II

So since the majority of contracts are year to year 

November 31st/December 1st is when All become free agents 

It I’ll be huge to get this right since I’d consider these guys Foundational

and of course the MLS Fringe/Bench players that are on supplemental/reserve end of the 30 man squad 

There’s several on VWFC, TFC & IMFC 

it I’ll be super interesting to see what happens there if they’re clubs decide to keep them or they leave 

Probably will be more easy to sign Canadians on US Teams 

My feeling with Fury announcing they are not joining the league, is that we have to move on as quickly as possible. 

An even number of teams is better than an odd number. But MLS has an uneven schedule, and there are many cases of European leagues with uneven numbers (like when a team has been dropped or reinstated after a financial sanction). Usually, of course, you try to get back to even, but the question is: let's move past the paradigm of 8 and look ahead. It means weekends with 3 matches, and then a midweek game between one playing on the previous Saturday, and one not. Considering travel might mean teams should play midweek to maximize road trips in shorter spans, this just might be a smaller adjustment than imagined. 

We also have to move past an important consideration, or question: has CPL ended up sacrificing Ottawa to appease the stop-gap solution of Victoria? Is Pacific FC the team that is pulling the league down the most, based on their late arrival, uncertainty, or lack of know-how in garnering interest in lower Vancouver Island? By them lobbying for a lower salary cap? This is possible, but we cannot know or second guess the decision. 

The CPL has to establish a generous salary cap, and let teams try to rise to the occasion. If a team feels that will make it hard for them to compete, let them look at any league in the world: there are always teams with more modest budgets who do well. Not over a long period of time, but every season, every league, a financially weaker team does better than it "should". So no excuses, and no more lowering of standards to appease the "minnows". Let them get their acts in gear.

We have Victoria, and as seen in rugby matches, and in international tournaments, and other forms of local sports of an amateur level, fans come out and games are properly attended. That is their challenge. Time for them to rise to it and not condition the rest of the league by lowering overall standards of salary, and thereby play. 

In the end, 7 have said yes, one has said no. That is a 14% dissappointment rate. When was the last time you were 86% happy about something?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

@Blackjack15 I'm curious to see if these fringe players will take substantial pay cuts to play every week in the CPL. Will a guy like Quillian Roberts give up 0 minutes playing time, free accomodations, and a healthy wage at LAFC to play every game in the CPL for a lot less money? Ricketts at his age, does it mean more returning to Edmonton to play every week infront of friends and family, or is it in his best interest to stay at TFC earning lots of $, while wasting his last good years as a role player at best? 

16 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

His track record on this kind of stuff is not great, but there again that is also related to the sources involved. K/W and Wilfred Laurier are what immediately comes to mind, if this is valid.

31547-108538.jpg

They could add seats

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Only real issue with it is that it has permanent lines from another sport, which is something they have always said they plan to avoid, but for a plan B scenario for one year I suspect that can probably be overlooked.

Unless they are willing to address the pitch temporarily. Nothing's impossible at the right price

Edited by Ansem

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

His track record on this kind of stuff is not great, but there again that is also related to the sources involved. K/W and Wilfred Laurier are what immediately comes to mind, if this is valid.

I might cry if this happens, I can see Laurier stadium lights from my front yard. Warrior field and Centennial stadium could both work as well with temporary stands put up, but i'm guessing they won't want a third club so close to Forge and Y9. So i'm gonna assume they're thinking London/Windsor 

Barry Maclean and the PDL team were very much part of the discussion on media coverage when CanPL was first announced back in May 2017, while there has never been an interested named owner where London and Windsor are concerned.

{Edit: unless I missed something in the recent downbeat National Post story about FC London where CanPL is concerned.}

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

19 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Barry Maclean and the PDL team were very much part of the discussion on media coverage when CanPL was first announced back in May 2017, while there has never been an interested named owner where London and Windsor are concerned.

{Edit: unless I missed something in the recent downbeat National Post story about FC London where CanPL is concerned.}

That's true, the CPL has expressed interest in KW, and the proximity to the GTA and Hamilton would allow some great Golden Horseshoe rivalries to brew(also well attended from both fan bases$$$). Obviously i'd be over the moon if we were a founding member, but I wont get my hopes up with such a strong football community in London. Windsor is a bit out there, and unlikely, but I think that's just my way of trying not to get my hopes up

As one of the self-professed league founders and deeper-pocketed owners might Bob Young be willing to partner with Barry Maclean on a team in KW?  Rivalry would actually be good for Forge FC in my opinion rather than bad and might even allow The Caretaker to do some extra TiCats cross-marketing in KW.  Capacity of 6000 should be fine to start although those football lines are an eyesore.

Shillington has already mentioned possibility of owning multiple teams, why not Bob Young?

4 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

As one of the self-professed league founders and deeper-pocketed owners might Bob Young be willing to partner with Barry Maclean on a team in KW?  Rivalry would actually be good for Forge FC in my opinion rather than bad and might even allow The Caretaker to do some extra TiCats cross-marketing in KW.  Capacity of 6000 should be fine to start although those football lines are an eyesore.

Shillington has already mentioned possibility of owning multiple teams, why not Bob Young?

Interesting that Shillington is interested in owning multiple teams but doesn't want to spend more with Victoria (re: salary cap) - may well be that he is genuinely concerned about the response in Victoria.