CPL General

Does anyone think that maybe the reason Ottawa wont join is that MLS is putting pressure on them?  If the core of their quality players are on loan from MLS teams, maybe the MLS front office is applying pressure via Montreal and Dallas.  Why would the MLS want to help a competing league by allowing its players to up the quality of the league?

12 minutes ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

Does anyone think that maybe the reason Ottawa wont join is that MLS is putting pressure on them?  If the core of their quality players are on loan from MLS teams, maybe the MLS front office is applying pressure via Montreal and Dallas.  Why would the MLS want to help a competing league by allowing its players to up the quality of the league?

No, this is beyond 3-4 players who won’t likely be with the team next year or the year after.

1 hour ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

No I think they withheld or didn't have info and kept putting forward a confusing message to the public and that combo turned off Ottawa

Edited by matty

27 minutes ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

This just gives more incentive for the CPL to be successful.  If that happens, Ottawa will be knocking at the door.

I dunno if it does that. I actually don't think Ottawa is in the wrong to be hesitant as the public statements the CPL have put forward have painted a VERY confused and possibly experimental league (that's not factoring in rumours which muddle things even more).

There's also been some weirdish comments that sounded like people were or wanted to force the Fury into CPL.

Edited by matty

21 minutes ago, matty said:

I dunno if it does that. I actually don't think Ottawa is in the wrong to be hesitant as the public statements the CPL have put forward have painted a VERY confused and possibly experimental league (that's not factoring in rumours which muddle things even more).

There's also been some weirdish comments that sounded like people were or wanted to force the Fury into CPL.

What the league says publicly and privately to the Fury can't be expected to be the same

17 minutes ago, Ansem said:

What the league says publicly and privately to the Fury can't be expected to be the same

Oh I know but there should some consistency between the two and, as mentioned in an earlier post, info to explain things said in both. If info the cpl  provided Ottawa was as confused and vague or the same as public comment then the issue is cplnot ottawa. there was one fury fanatic tweet that hints the public info was at least part of the case.

Edited by matty

16 minutes ago, LAK said:

What about Mississauga? Is there anywhere to play there temporarily?

Back in 1983 with the CPSL the Mississauga team played in Etobicoke at Centennial Stadium. Don't think they have downsized enough yet for that to be a serious option.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Croatia#Return_to_NSL_and_Puma_League_(1979–1997)

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The CPL has to establish a generous salary cap, and let teams try to rise to the occasion. If a team feels that will make it hard for them to compete, let them look at any league in the world: there are always teams with more modest budgets who do well. Not over a long period of time, but every season, every league, a financially weaker team does better than it "should". So no excuses, and no more lowering of standards to appease the "minnows". Let them get their acts in gear.

I agree with this. Especially with all the talk of pro/rel someday. That is a system that expects some teams to fall behind. In my opinion they should make a relatively wide gap between a salary cap and salary floor. If/when there is a D2 someday, it should have the same salary cap (because the promoted teams will have to compete with the D1 teams the next year. If they have big aspirations at the D1 level but find themselves at the D2 level currently, let them do what they need to do to get back out), but could potentially have a lower salary floor.

10 hours ago, KW519 said:

@Blackjack15 I'm curious to see if these fringe players will take substantial pay cuts to play every week in the CPL. Will a guy like Quillian Roberts give up 0 minutes playing time, free accomodations, and a healthy wage at LAFC to play every game in the CPL for a lot less money? Ricketts at his age, does it mean more returning to Edmonton to play every week infront of friends and family, or is it in his best interest to stay at TFC earning lots of $, while wasting his last good years as a role player at best? 

Rickett’s salary is really high so unless TFC doesn’t renew him/pickup his option or he doesnt catch on with another MLS Club then don’t expect to see him in CPL right away. Edmonton seems like the natural fit, since it’s his hometown 

Quillan Roberts is earning $67,500 USD which is $88,000 CAD. If you look at it from the financial stand point we can’t afford him but Its one thing to be  comfortable and another to be playing regularly and get your career back on track with eyes on the national team among other things 

Edited by Thomas

1 hour ago, matty said:

Oh I know but there should some consistency between the two and, as mentioned in an earlier post, info to explain things said in both. If info the cpl  provided Ottawa was as confused and vague or the same as public comment then the issue is cplnot ottawa. there was one fury fanatic tweet that hints the public info was at least part of the case.

I'd just like CPL to be held to the same standards as other leagues. NHL, MLS, and the rest operates the same.

Message to the public...Discussions back door. It's the way it is

2 hours ago, matty said:

I don't think Ottawa is in the wrong either.  They have a good thing going right now, so why not take the wait and see approach.  And, if the league expects them to have to disperse their players with some sort of BS draft, I'd say no too.

15 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'd just like CPL to be held to the same standards as other leagues. NHL, MLS, and the rest operates the same.

I don't think we're holding it to a different standard in this case. Those leagues a rather public with things like salaries and how they make or plan to make money while CPL is quiet but talks a big game.

20 minutes ago, Ansem said:

funny you should say that.  The CPL still has not added the Ottawa story to their news section on their website

i think this incident has (rightfully) caused a "what the hell is going on" moment for the league cause it raises a lot of concerning questions. the fact that rollins is now saying there are still plans for 8 teams as a 2020 team could be ready 2019 is a big what the fuck development. in their comment on ottawa i hope they clear the air and lay down a few acts about the league cause they are needed now more than ever for the public.

• It's still early.
  • We're 7 months away from kickoff.
  • 7 teams are in
  • Ottawa will come around, no choice
  • We'll get more teams as the years go by and salary cap will increase, much faster than USL

Everybody needs to chill.

CPL is keeping a cool collected front and are working hard backstage to make the league succeed. Let's let them work.

CPL owners are made of multimillionaires and billionaires who made their fortune by being competent. Incompetence didn't get them where they are today.

I applaud the league to not cave to the Fury's demands. Caving to a USL team demands sends an equally wrong message. These are the rules. You abide to them or you're staying out until the CSA forces you to decide. Didn't the CSL sank because of dysfunctional ownership and lack of league structure? Then bravo to CPL for wanting to enforce their rules. That's what any competent league does. Even the mighty Habs or Leafs can't make the NHL do anything. Why should CPL be any different?

Relax

I need a drink

9 minutes ago, Ansem said:
  • It's still early.
  • 7 teams are in
  • We'll get more teams as the years go by and salary cap will increase, much faster than USL

CPL is keeping a cool collected front and are working hard backstage to make the league succeed. Let's let them work.

CPL owners are made of multimillionaires and billionaires who made their fortune by being competent. Incompetence didn't get them where they are today.

I applaud the league to not cave to the Fury's demands. Caving to a USL team demands sends an equally wrong message. These are the rules. You abide to them or you're staying out until the CSA forces you to decide. Didn't the CSL sank because of dysfunctional ownership and lack of league structure? Then bravo to CPL for wanting to enforce their rules. That's what any competent league does. Even the mighty Habs or Leafs can't make the NHL do anything. Why should CPL be any different?

Relax

I need a drink

Hear, hear !  

The CPL will hopefully find an eighth team for 2019, if not, oh well.  The reality is that probably less than 5% of Valour FC's current 1300'ish members have ever heard of the Ottawa Fury.  I suspect that's true of all the teams outside of Ontario.  It's unfortunate something could not be worked out, but the CPL needs to move forward asap.

If the Fury do not want to be part of the CPL, then perhaps the league can find a new owner for 2020.

12 minutes ago, Ansem said:
  • It's still early.
  • 7 teams are in

Relax

I need a drink

It's not that early, 7 months is a while but it also can happen pretty quick. The fact there's now maybe an 8th "new" team that may just be able to go is a relief but it also seems like it could be rushed given the short window.

The fact the CPL is addressing this is a little weird. The fact they've talked of this as a sure thing is weird. If this was a last minute fall apart thing that's bad but if it was a long time thing why did CPL reps act like all sure thing on team 8 if it was a maybe? Both make the league look messy.

We can't say the CPL didn't cave because we don't exactly know. All we have is a story of the sides not seeing eye to eye and maybe issues of information and not being on the level needed for Fury (which honesty would be the CPL's bad).

Now it's fully possible Fury want to hold back and the CPL is cool with that but the CSA thing does not make it seem like the case if true.

I agree we should wait but the league should use this moment try to clear some of the questions regarding it (eg salary cap and season structure)

14 minutes ago, matty said:

i think this incident has (rightfully) caused a "what the hell is going on" moment for the league cause it raises a lot of concerning questions...

Quite tame so far from that sort of standpoint. Long way to go before this reaches Hamilton Thunder owner and the grow op in Barrie sort of levels or the CMNT playing in Gaddafi's Libya as they were desperate for the appearance fee involved.

Think they pushed through the launch before they were really ready as they were keen on the World Cup timing, which didn't really seem to deliver for them in the way they maybe hoped, but they have seven teams on board with other groups interested, so all is not lost and some turbulence along the way was always likely. The scale of the achievement involved in getting this far along should not be underestimated

Just now, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Quite tame so far from that sort of standpoint. Long way to go before this reaches Hamilton Thunder owner and the grow op in Barrie sort of levels or the CMNT playing in Gaddafi's Libya as they were desperate for the appearance fee involved.

Think they pushed through the launch before they were really ready as they were keen on the World Cup timing, which didn't really seem to deliver for them in the way they maybe hoped, but they have seven teams on board with other groups interested, so all is not lost and some turbulence along the way was always likely. The scale of the achievement involved in getting this far along should not be underestimated

Absolutely !  And with any new league, there will be clubs that struggle.  Some may be lost along the way.  There will also be some clubs that will rise above.  It's all about the big picture at this point and there's no use getting bent out of shape over one potential club.  They could be talking to prospective owners from Ottawa tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, matty said:

It's not that early, 7 months is a while but it also can happen pretty quick. The fact there's now maybe an 8th "new" team that may just be able to go is a relief but it also seems like it could be rushed given the short window.

I have no experience in starting a league from scratch. I think the lionshare of the work has been done. I trust that they will meet their deadline. Worst things has happened like MLS debuting later than announced and with fewer teams than announced. CPL being on time with 8 is a MASSIVE win.

Just getting EXHAUSTED at the double standards

3 minutes ago, matty said:

The fact the CPL is addressing this is a little weird. The fact they've talked of this as a sure thing is weird. If this was a last minute fall apart thing that's bad but if it was a long time thing why did CPL reps act like all sure thing on team 8 if it was a maybe? Both make the league look messy.

That's what any competent project manager does

Plan%20B_0.jpg

If you don't have one of those, you have no business being handed a project to run. Obviously, they had contingency plans all along. Ottawa forced the league to activate it.

6 minutes ago, matty said:

We can't say the CPL didn't cave because we don't exactly know. All we have is a story of the sides not seeing eye to eye and maybe issues of information and not being on the level needed for Fury (which honesty would be the CPL's bad). 

What the Fury are saying is irrelevant. By joining the league, they would have to abide by its rules. Who sets the rules? The league. Who would have power? The league.

Thus the league set the rules, Fury said no, the league said it is what it is. No deal.

The official statement from the Fury doesn't talk about standards, some Fury "fanatic" took to twitter and created a storm for whatever reason. That can't impress the league on how this all unfold.

9 minutes ago, matty said:

Now it's fully possible Fury want to hold back and the CPL is cool with that but the CSA thing does not make it seem like the case if true.

CPL will get a higher fee from the Fury if they join later so, whatever. The CSA is right to not be happy about it. It finally grew a backbone and no longer wants to be a sub-servant to the USSF. This should be applauded, not condemned

11 minutes ago, matty said:

I agree we should wait but the league should use this moment try to clear some of the questions regarding it (eg salary cap and season structure) 

They will on their own timetable.

People are overestimating the Fury's value. Who follows this team outside of the NCR and GTA? NO ONE.

Why break the momentum in the rest of the country over the Fury? That's how THEY are thinking.