CPL General

6 minutes ago, KW519 said:

Screenshot_20180905-161401.thumb.jpg.f593b5e7cc3009dafc9d85fd05c3ad73.jpg

Dafuq.....I knew the quality wouldn't be the greatest at the start, and that a salary cap was likely to be implemented, but for CPL to tell clubs and players who and where they can can sign looks and smells like something MLS would do. "Brampton born (insert name) forced to play for HFX as they have rights to any player born in peel."

I would hope this is referring to some sort of starting draft for year one, not as an ongoing thing.  I understand why they'd do this to start off (you don't want to see a mad scramble for players).

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

I would hope this is referring to some sort of starting draft for year one, not as an ongoing thing.  I understand why they'd do this to start off (you don't want to see a mad scramble for players).

Fair point. I'll wait for them to speak on the subject before further judgement.

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

I would assume L1O from the context.

Think so, and that probably means effectively almost being semi-pro (like the original CSL) in many cities. The membership numbers must have really spooked some of the investors. York 9, for example, were talking about a 12000 seat SSS at one point, so they were expecting a lot more than 200 by this stage.

It makes me sad but I understand where Ottawa is coming from on this - there's a limit to how much you want your own quality to slide as the league has been gradually (down-)adjusting their targets.

It also makes me sad but I understand where the league is coming from on this - I'm sure they'd love to have a salary cap above what USL has, but if you saw the low-three-digit membership numbers coming from Victoria and York, you'd be clenching your sphincters and trying to limit your expenses too.

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think so, and that probably means effectively almost being semi-pro (like the original CSL) in many cities. The membership numbers must have really spooked some of the investors. York 9, for example, were talking about a 12000 seat SSS at one point, so they were expecting a lot more than 200 by this stage.

Everything from York9 has been staggeringly out of touch between their expectations and the reality they will face.

16 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Sure I could dig up some old posts as well, but actually deep down wanted to ultimately be wrong on what looking at it rationally pointed to so am somewhat deflated by what is being revealed today. Steven Sandor has a long stream of tweets and replies now that further confirms the low cap.

Right. Well I've since argued that the best solution would be low player minimum salaries (ie low payroll floor) and a soft cap at the top that taxes payrolls above a certain amount and then redistributes that revenue to each team. Much more flexibility for the big and small markets that would still retain some "equality".

Edit: Re: Sandors tweet. He said it's shrunk but to what? $1.5M was the initial rumour. So $1M could mean shrunk. 750K could mean shrunk. Still waiting to hear a something more definitively explicit with regards to this 500k cap rumour.

Edited by mpg_29

56 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Now he's hinting at something really ominous. One thing to check over the next few months is what is actually being done in some of the cities on preparing stadiums where changes and upgrades are still needed. 

Come on, you are giving credit to this line of argument. First, insinuations that Fury won't go to CPL, when there is no public evidence at all to corroborate that. 

Then, as if to justify his line of thinking, start crapping totally randomly on CPL. "Scrambling"? Seriously? They are over 7 months away from starting with 7 clubs, stadiums or plans, supporter groups, and presales, all in place. If you are starting a new project, you work your butt off and face difficulties. If you start a business, organize a school event, work to premiere a play, finish a final paper at school, or, as I do, curate an exhibition. Until the last minute you are in an intense and often anxious mode of activity to ensure success. 

I am finding these tweets specious, and the credit you are giving to them totally unjustified. 

11 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Right. Well I've since argued that the best solution would be low player minimum salaries (ie low payroll floor) and a soft cap at the top that taxes payrolls above a certain amount and then redistributes that revenue to each team. Much more flexibility for the big and small markets that would still retain some "equality".

Edit: Re: Sandors tweet. He said it's shrunk but to what? $1.5M was the initial rumour. So $1M could mean shrunk. 750K could mean shrunk. Still waiting to hear a something more definitively explicit with regards to this 500k cap rumour.

This development is disappointing, and until I hear otherwise I'm basically going to assume that the cap is the lowest figure quoted (i.e. 500k). Losing the Ottawa Fury is a shot to the gut to be sure, but it will be an even bigger shot to the gut if the CanPL can't field a team capable of beating the Fury in the VCup. Rather than going with such a low salary cap, the CanPL needs to find a way to raise it, however possible - soft cap (luxury tax as you say), revenue sharing, or find some new and untapped revenue stream. The Ottawa Fury are not exactly at some monumental level of footballing brilliance, so if CanPL teams can't beat a mid-table USL side, that is just embarrassing and it will erode the legitimacy that fans place in what is supposed to be our D1 league.

3 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Interesting back and forth here - some actual salary figures are nice to see and FuryFanatic indicates the cap is likely less than $800k.

The more I read about this though the more it sounds like the Fury are not typical representation of USL in terms of spending....

50 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Interesting back and forth here - some actual salary figures are nice to see and FuryFanatic indicates the cap is likely less than $800k.

Ottawa doesn't pay the salaries of any of those players, as all three are on loan. The affiliation agreement with Montreal specifically stipulated that the players Montreal sent on loan would continue to be paid by them, and Dallas is almost certainly doing the same with Reid.

26 minutes ago, Zem said:

Ottawa doesn't pay the salaries of any of those players, as all three are on loan. The affiliation agreement with Montreal specifically stipulated that the players Montreal sent on loan would continue to be paid by them, and Dallas is almost certainly doing the same with Reid.

I was also confused about his choice of picks

2 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

All those 3 players are on loan from

FC Dallas & MTL Impact so Ottawa isn’t the one paying their salaries 

It’s been reported multiple times, USL clubs don’t have that high of paying roll

CPL was initally rumored to be $1.5M ($40,000-60,000 average) by the Spector in Hamilton

Would be a huge blow if it is $1M or 750K 

Edited by Thomas