CPL General

To be fair, TSN's soccer coverage is generally pretty poor.  Way too much wire copy and nowhere near the original content that Sportsnet has.  They have had some CPL wire articles and their local radio stations have been good for CPL content.

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

To be fair, TSN's soccer coverage is generally pretty poor.  Way too much wire copy and nowhere near the original content that Sportsnet has.  They have had some CPL wire articles and their local radio stations have been good for CPL content.

The Ottawa Anglophone TSN affiliate has a weekly show with the former media manager of OSEG and the Ottawa Fury. CanPL has been discussed many, many times. 

Likewise, Unique FM, the Francophone talk radio show has interviewed some OSEG folks as well and talked CanPL at least twice since April.  

14 hours ago, Rheo said:

Scotiabank did http://www.cbc.ca/sports/scotiabank-arena-rights-deal-mlse-air-canada-centre-1.4267176

I'm hoping that a bunch of corporations that play up their Canadian-ness jump aboard (Canadian Tire, Tims, etc)  I was just looking at the Canada Soccer corporate partner page, https://www.canadasoccer.com/sponsors-partnerships-s14656 and there's lots of potential given the connection of the CSA to the CPL/CSB.

It's not necessarily just the number of sponsors though, but also what they're willing to pay.  That's what seems to be the problem in Canadian sports in more recent years, as apparently sponsors were reviewing whether they were getting the value for their dollar from sports sponsorship.  Add in that apparently sponsors feel soccer fans in this country are cheap, and it's a tougher sell still.  So if you want corporations to sponsor the league, you're going to have to find a way for the early adapters to feel appreciated and that it's worth it to them.

Lots of BC updates in the latest AFTN pod http://aftn.ca/episode-271-the-aftn-soccer-show/ Lots of rumours and speculation.  Don't normally post stuff like that but given their record and connections there thought I would.  But take it with a grain of salt.  Also if I spelled something wrong, I apologize.  All these locations are foreign to me lol.

-recapped Halifax and their thoughts

-they’re hearing Victoria is now favourite to land the 2019 BC spot over Fraser Valley team (yes two seperate groups, not one). 

-someone on Take The Piss forum that knows someone involved in the Port City bid posted that they’re looking at two sites in Surrey, Cloverdale Fairgrounds and Tom Binnie.  Issues with the city, they want the city to purchase the land and they won’t.

-They’ve been negotiating with Surrey and Langley, playing them off against each other. 

-Langley  negotiations were focusing on “new 216th St redevelopment”

-Group looking at playing temporarily at Newton Athletic Park or Exhibition Stadium until they get things settled but now looks like that isn’t coming off right now

-Someone told the host that the Canadian Taxpayers Association is going to actively fight any use of public funds due to them trying to play negotiations against each other.  He cautioned it’s just hearsay though

-They brought up the issues in Victoria as well.

-Lots of rumours and talks in the soccer community.  They posit it would be good for the owners to come out and publically speak of their intentions but they haven’t

Edited by Rheo

MLS Twitter - 3,220,000 followers
CFL Twitter - 275,000 followers
NBL Twitter - 11,000 followers (National Basketball League of Canada)
CPL Twitter - 8,500 followers

As much as I dislike the CFL, the CPL should aspire to and hopefully reach CFL numbers (I don't think that's an unrealistic target). CPL will definitely blow NBL out of the water by first kick 2019

31 minutes ago, michaeltfc91 said:

As much as I dislike the CFL, the CPL should aspire to and hopefully reach CFL numbers (I don't think that's an unrealistic target). CPL will definitely blow NBL out of the water by first kick 2019

USL has 55,400. I'd say that's a good first goal

On 5/28/2018 at 9:01 AM, Oranje said:

Why not sponsor the entire league a la the former Barclays in the EPL or TIM in the Serie A? "Air Canada Canadian Premier League" does sound super kitschy but if it allows for discounted flights to promote the leagues viability, I'll take it.

You would need to get a lot more $$$ than just discounted flights.  If you sell the rights, you need to make sure it's worth it.  Just like selling kit advertising - make sure you get to a proper minimum value.  But still agree overall and would be in favour of doing this.

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

Everyone is talking like the economy works on some sort of bartering system with regards to airline sponsors....it's 2018...everything is dealt with in terms of money and payments.

I guess "in-kind" sponsorship is kinda like barter but way more cost effective for the sponsor. For example It's cheaper to provide $1M worth of flights than $1M in cash.

To try to avoid the Victoria thread getting too off topic I'd like to expand a bit on what BBTB said, that I have been wondering about for a bit too.

In the CSA AGM they approved 4 teams, 3 of which (York 9, Cavalry, and HFX Wanderers) have all had their announcements. We were told we were going to get weekly announcements, but aren't getting one this week. Next week we get Winnipeg's announcement, and someone (forget who) made the great observation that it would make sense to time the Hamilton announcement to be close (same day or maybe one day before) to the CWNT friendly in Hamilton. They could have booths set up to take membership deposits at the game, could advertise during halftime etc. Then a few days after the friendly the World Cup will start, which is a great time to advertise but probably not a great time for announcing new teams, and I believe Paul Beirne said everything would be sorted out by then.

So, what has happened with Port City? Was this supposed to be their week? For now I will optimistically assume Ottawa and/or Edmonton will be announced later in the year (they could maybe even do a joint announcement since the teams are already established). Will Port City be able to come on board later this year? Will there be any advertising materials that will have to be scrapped or modified to go with World Cup coverage because it includes Port City but they haven't been announced yet?

Just because there isn't an announcement this week doesn't mean it's all doom and gloom (not meant directly at anyone, just in general have sensed it).  They could just be taking a week off from travelling.  All those trips will leave a lot to be done around the office with the other general business of the league I'd assume.

I posted the latest on Port City above from what the AFTN podcast said.  It was mostly rumours, hearsay and speculation but they're pretty well sourced.  Bottom line is no one knows for sure but them.  They seem to be having issues getting a stadium deal done.  They assumed that Victoria was more likely to be ready for 2019 than Port City but neither was a given.  So it's a waiting game.

4 hours ago, michaeltfc91 said:

Why do hate(dislike) the CFL so much? What did it do to you?

13 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Not to be a jerk, more CPL content reaching more people is always better, but the first half of that article felt very...familiar

http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/stacking-up-early-predictions-of-the-canadian-premier-leagues-on-field-quality/

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

Not to be a jerk, more CPL content reaching more people is always better, but the first half of that article felt very...familiar

http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/stacking-up-early-predictions-of-the-canadian-premier-leagues-on-field-quality/

Yeah I dunno, I found it on twitter. Hadn't seen the northern starting eleven post prior.

I recapped From The Black Hole pod with Tommy Wheeldon Jr in the Calgary thread but really recommend checking it out.  Really good discussion on player development that I can't do justice in the recap.