CPL General

13 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

So did York not get this same reception because they are so close to TFC.

Most likely, and probably because there's more sports options in general too. But York will probably have a higher proportion of casual fans showing up to games, so fewer memberships and season seat sales won't be the end of the world. It's just a reality of the GTA as a sports market that it will take clubs there a bit longer to catch on and gain a dedicated following, but they will also have a greater potential to grow over the years.

On 5/25/2018 at 8:06 PM, Zem said:

Most likely, and probably because there's more sports options in general too. But York will probably have a higher proportion of casual fans showing up to games, so fewer memberships and season seat sales won't be the end of the world. It's just a reality of the GTA as a sports market that it will take clubs there a bit longer to catch on and gain a dedicated following, but they will also have a greater potential to grow over the years.

I am curious about why you think York 9 could have more casuals than other places. Are you banking on TFC season ticket holders to not get season tickets, but to come to a few games a season or something? I would think a big hardcore in a smaller city like Halifax would have the potential to create a buzz in the city that you wouldn’t get in York 9.

Hopefully the relatively sluggish deposits for York 9 will result in a well thought out season ticket drive that will do better. Outstanding numbers from Calgary and Halifax though!

I find myself so excited to see this league come together.  I'm excited for the Cities that are getting a team, and I am really looking forward to what the league will mean for Canadian players and the National team. 

However, I can't help but be disappointed that living in Saskatchewan, I won't have a local team to cheer for.  A team to get behind.  In one sense it's like any other North American sports league where you cheer for a team that represents a city where you can't be there in person.  You may have a connection to a team for one reason or another, but you can never really "support" them.

Please City of Regina and City of Saskatoon...get your shit together and join the movement!

9 hours ago, Kent said:

I am curious about why you think York 9 could have more casuals than other places...

Guess you can argue that there are more people in an easy driving distance, but it never seemed to help the North York Rockets in the original CSL so they need something else as a catalyst. Some big name players from overseas looking for a last large pay cheque would be the obvious one, if the Canadian player angle doesn't gain any traction. Strongly suspect that most soccer people in the GTA really do want to see someone like Giovinco play rather than the next Andrea Lombardo, so a change in marketing strategy could still salvage things for them.

On 5/25/2018 at 3:21 PM, 1996 said:

So we do have a Canadian Basketball league here in Canada that I think started in 2011, but I think there are only teams in Ontario to the Maritimes nothing in Western Canada. I live in Toronto and we don’t have a team in the Toronto area therefore I never hear anything in the mainstream media about this league. Moreover, I don’t think they have a mainstream TV contract. My question is and this is an honest question I’m not asking to be negative about the CPL at all just want to know people’s thoughts here . Will the CPL make a bigger impact on the Canadian pro sports scene in terms of media awareness than this Canadian basketball league is having? Will it have a bigger impact on Canadian soccer than this Canadian basketball league is having on Canadian basketball? Will people be more aware of the CPL than they are of this Canadian Basketball league 7 years from now , I think this Canadian  Basketball league just finished their 7th. , season ?  Like I said I live in a city that does not have a team in this Basketball league so ya I never hear or see anything in the media about this league and I realize it’s probably different in cities that have a team, but I’ve never seen like any highlights for instance on TSN or Sportsnet even when they have had their championship final series or championship final series clinching game. Therefore , do we think the CPL will have much more of a presence in Canada than this Canadian Basketball league does not seem to have much of one even after 7 years of exsistence. I hope it does and I’m thinking it should just from the mere fact the CPL will have teams from coast to coast whereas thi Canadian Basketball league has teams only in Eastern Canada.

We have a NBL team here in Halifax. It gets a little bit of local coverage on the radio and a little press on the local new shows but generally its not very well followed. I never see anyone wearing a 'Hurricanes' t-shirt, hat or jersey. 

The league is simply a regional semi pro outfit with an average attendance of 2000 however the majority of teams in the league are under 2000 fans per game (many way under).

I would say that most (if not every) teams are losing money and are just being propped up by investors. I have heard the local ownership group say their goal is to get 4000 fans per game to be profitable. Most nights they don't even get half of that.

THE CPL from what I understand aims to be a fully professional National league. I assume they will be counting on coverage from national networks and in big city media. 

As a comparison last I heard in Halifax we have about 375 season ticket deposits after 2 days of existence.  That is with no advertising, no ticket prices and without even a stadium in place. Likely that is closing in on par with the amount of paid season ticket holders for the basketball team.

If the CPL is unable to draw better and get more attention then the NBL then it will be dead in less then 5 years. However im confident from what I have seen it will be much stronger.

19 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

We have a NBL team here in Halifax. It gets a little bit of local coverage on the radio and a little press on the local new shows but generally its not very well followed. I never see anyone wearing a 'Hurricanes' t-shirt, hat or jersey. 

The league is simply a regional semi pro outfit with an average attendance of 2000 however the majority of teams in the league are under 2000 fans per game (many way under).

I would say that most (if not every) teams are losing money and are just being propped up by investors. I have heard the local ownership group say their goal is to get 4000 fans per game to be profitable. Most nights they don't even get half of that.

THE CPL from what I understand aims to be a fully professional National league. I assume they will be counting on coverage from national networks and in big city media. 

As a comparison last I heard in Halifax we have about 375 season ticket deposits after 2 days of existence.  That is with no advertising, no ticket prices and without even a stadium in place. Likely that is closing in on par with the amount of paid season ticket holders for the basketball team.

If the CPL is unable to draw better and get more attention then the NBL then it will be dead in less then 5 years. However im confident from what I have seen it will be much stronger.

4000 a night to be profitable in NBL? "Profitable" is somewhat vague but that is a high number. The salary cap in NBL Canada is only $170,000...and there's 20 home games.

St. John's Edge owners said they needed 1500/night to break even.

Edited by mpg_29

17 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Thanks very informative, this is the type of conversation I was trying to get going by my post , because I knew of this Canadian basketball league and of it being around since 2011 and yes it’s only based in Eastern Canada but it was the only real Canadian open age pro league that I knew of in Canada so I thought it would be interesting to see what kind of comparison we could get to our new CPL, but it does seem that the CPL without even anouncing all the teams yet is already getting more attention and it seems the CPL will have much more investment money wise than this basketball league it seems.

3 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

4000 a night to be profitable in NBL? "Profitable" is somewhat vague but that is a high number. The salary cap in NBL Canada is only $170,000...and there's 20 home games.

St. John's Edge owners said they needed 1500/night to break even.

Yea I have to admit 4000 sounded like a way too high number. I suspect they may have stated that number to try and rally the community. It really didn't work though.

On the other hand 1500 sounds a little low. However I would say only maybe 2 or 3 teams max are getting 1500 **Paid**. 1500 X 15$ over 20 home dates would give you ticket revenue of $450,000. Sounds like a low budget for running a professional team for an entire year. Could be possible though if you had some strong sponsorship, a good arena deal and ran on a shoestring.

21 hours ago, Symp_Res said:

I find myself so excited to see this league come together.  I'm excited for the Cities that are getting a team, and I am really looking forward to what the league will mean for Canadian players and the National team. 

However, I can't help but be disappointed that living in Saskatchewan, I won't have a local team to cheer for.  A team to get behind.  In one sense it's like any other North American sports league where you cheer for a team that represents a city where you can't be there in person.  You may have a connection to a team for one reason or another, but you can never really "support" them.

Please City of Regina and City of Saskatoon...get your shit together and join the movement!

To risk the scorn and ridicule of my compatriots for quoting myself...I do believe this is relevant to the following comment:

Props to the Lobby in Regina. It was absolutely packed for the Champions League final yesterday.  There is a real passion and love for soccer in this city and province...

GET 'ER DONE!!

Edited by Symp_Res
spelling...

23 minutes ago, Kent said:

Tangentially related to CPL at best, but apparently airfares are going down in Canada. If that holds it would be good for CPL teams travel costs.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/05/26/airfares-canada-declining-kayak_a_23444186/

With Air Canada no longer having rights to the Leafs arena (I was going to say ACC but that would make no sense, what is the rink actually called? Maple leaf gardens 2.0?) maybe it’s time they step into another sport and become the official travel partner of CPL.  

Just imagine the advertising possibilities with so many Canadian cities represented.  Maybe the Voyageurs cup would be an even better fit though for them with the MLS teams also there. Would sound a lot better than amway.. 

Edited by Keegan

Just now, Keegan said:

With Air Canada no longer having rights to the Leafs arena (I was going to say ACC but that would make no sense, what is the rink actually called? Maple leaf gardens 2.0?) maybe it’s time they step into another sport and become the official travel partner of CPL.  

Scotiabank did http://www.cbc.ca/sports/scotiabank-arena-rights-deal-mlse-air-canada-centre-1.4267176

I'm hoping that a bunch of corporations that play up their Canadian-ness jump aboard (Canadian Tire, Tims, etc)  I was just looking at the Canada Soccer corporate partner page, https://www.canadasoccer.com/sponsors-partnerships-s14656 and there's lots of potential given the connection of the CSA to the CPL/CSB.

3 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Scotiabank did http://www.cbc.ca/sports/scotiabank-arena-rights-deal-mlse-air-canada-centre-1.4267176

I'm hoping that a bunch of corporations that play up their Canadian-ness jump aboard (Canadian Tire, Tims, etc)  I was just looking at the Canada Soccer corporate partner page, https://www.canadasoccer.com/sponsors-partnerships-s14656 and there's lots of potential given the connection of the CSA to the CPL/CSB.

No I’m aware, just wondering if the rink actually has a name. For instance, BMO is actually the national soccer stadium and Rogers Centre is the sky dome (yes it is you all know it). 

Just now, Keegan said:

No I’m aware, just wondering if the rink actually has a name. For instance, BMO is actually the national soccer stadium and Rogers Centre is the sky dome (yes it is you all know it). 

My bad, not quite awake yet and misunderstood.  I don't believe so though, I think it was built as the ACC.  They don't want the public to have anything to latch onto with another names.  Lessens the potential naming rights.  I could be wrong though lol.

13 minutes ago, Rheo said:

My bad, not quite awake yet and misunderstood.  I don't believe so though, I think it was built as the ACC.  They don't want the public to have anything to latch onto with another names.  Lessens the potential naming rights.  I could be wrong though lol.

No that would appear to be right in line with corporate thought. Sort of like how the Voyageurs Cup isn’t allowed to be called as such unless we’re referring to the actual trophy.

42 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Just imagine the advertising possibilities with so many Canadian cities represented.  Maybe the Voyageurs cup would be an even better fit though for them with the MLS teams also there. Would sound a lot better than amway.. 

Why not sponsor the entire league a la the former Barclays in the EPL or TIM in the Serie A? "Air Canada Canadian Premier League" does sound super kitschy but if it allows for discounted flights to promote the leagues viability, I'll take it.

Edited by Oranje