CPL General

20 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Just saw this on twitter. An article online about how the Fury's move to having a larger domestic component on its roster has met with mixed reviews so far:

http://www.ottawasports.ca/proof-of-concept-how-ottawa-fury-fc-is-answering-those-who-would-doubt-canada/

...Creating an environment where young Canadian soccer talent can thrive in a professional environment is one of the rallying cries behind the upcoming launch of the Canadian Premier League. The Fury’s relationship with the league remains murky, with club officials taking a “wait-and-see” approach on whether or not to join. When it’s suggested that the CPL is instantly creating eight to 10 competitors to the Fury for Canadian talent, Popovic is succinct: “Fantastic,” he says...

I think Mimglow posts on here sometimes.

Great article.  Thanks for the link.  Should be mandatory reading for any Canadian soccer fan.

17 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I have no idea what you think you are proving with that post? Two obvious problems from a CanPL standpoint are that the Roughriders are not the would be investors in Saskatchewan and it has permanently marked fieldturf unlike the CFL stadia in Winnipeg, Hamilton and Ottawa. My understanding is that the preferred option for Joe Belan in a Regina context was to use one of the grandstands of the old Taylor Field to create a new soccer specific stadium. Unfortunately, the City of Regina decided that it was better to send in the bulldozers and level the place completely instead.

If the stadium is truly owned by the city and the Roughriders want no part of it then fuck  roughRiders  and make a deal  with the city. What’s  going to make money  10 to 20,000  people in the seats for another 20 games or nothing at all? 

All  full turf is just shit  but  it’s something that we’re gonna have to live with in Canada. Maybe in a few years when CPL  explodes they can negotiate on getting better  turf or a hybrid system. 

Maybe it’s just me but these pop-up stadiums that hold 5 to 10,000 people it’s kind of a joke.  Do we want first tier league or just a  another  version of NASL/USL? I understand A 5 to 10,000 stadium in a small city but not for Calgary,  Regina Halifax,  Victoria. Man even  Moncton is going have a bigger  stadium  then Calgary,  to me that’s a joke ! Maybe  my expectations are high but to me they should be. 

29 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

I get it that the Saskatchewan Roughriders have permanently marked the fieldturf, but how much will it cost to rip it off and install a turf for multi purpose sports: soccer and football? I'm just curious?

less than building another stadium...

Edited by mpg_29

28 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

I get it that the Saskatchewan Roughriders have permanently marked the fieldturf, but how much will it cost to rip it off and install a turf for multi purpose sports: soccer and football? I'm just curious?

Every time I've heard about turf replacement, it's usually around the 1 - 1.5 million range. Of course those were several years ago, maybe it's up around 2 million now, but that's pure speculation on my part.

Instead of replacing the turf from the beginning, especially if they are  worried about the sustainability of soccer, they could just paint over the other lines. It might not be perfect but would be a good temporary solution. 

My main concern with CFL stadia isn't the lines, it's the length of the field and the lack of close stands behind the goals. 

23 minutes ago, LAK said:

Every time I've heard about turf replacement, it's usually around the 1 - 1.5 million range. Of course those were several years ago, maybe it's up around 2 million now, but that's pure speculation on my part.

Just buy a soccer  turf and roll  it out for soccer games and put on the football turf for cfl  Games.   They Take the turf off for concerts. So boom problem solved! Put a  The Teams  in  Regina and  Saskatoon  Instant rivalry ! Derby day in  Saskatchewan  ! I love sound of  that !  That’s the sound of money !!! 

F348C86A-00E3-48D7-8E5E-AA1D0B5598CF.jpeg

8 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Just buy a soccer  turf and roll  it out for soccer games and put on the football turf for cfl  Games.   They Take the turf off for concerts. So boom problem solved! Put a  The Teams  in  Regina and  Saskatoon  Instant rivalry ! Derby day in  Saskatchewan  ! I love sound of  that !  That’s the sound of money !!! 

F348C86A-00E3-48D7-8E5E-AA1D0B5598CF.jpeg

It's more likely that they put those tiles on top of the existing turf for concerts (like they do at most stadiums).

Rolling turf on top of an existing layer of turf is a bad idea. It'd be very soft and the seams could be uneven, making things dangerous for players. 

56 minutes ago, RS said:

It's more likely that they put those tiles on top of the existing turf for concerts (like they do at most stadiums).

Rolling turf on top of an existing layer of turf is a bad idea. It'd be very soft and the seams could be uneven, making things dangerous for players. 

You could be right about  The tile.

you are so  right can’t roll new  turf  over  top existing turf 

27 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Forgive my ignorance if this has been talked about already, I haven't been on here much recently, but has anyone considered the possibility that Port City actually refers to Mississauga?

am not from the east so don't even know if this makes sense.

It's Victoria. A page back has the link. Official team announcement in July I believe it said. It was the Rob Friend group in the lower mainland that made it happen.

On 6/1/2018 at 3:51 PM, Rheo said:

-talked about how they plan to be a more traditional FIFA soccer league, rather than MLS

What the fuck is a 'traditional FIFA soccer league'? This kind of talk is always weird cause aside from say pro/rel there really isn't a universal standard.

2 minutes ago, matty said:

What the fuck is a 'traditional FIFA soccer league'? This kind of talk is always weird cause aside from say pro/rel there really isn't a universal standard.

Are there other leagues in the world with playoffs and conferences?  I really don't know.

US based leagues have tried all sorts of things in the past not done anywhere else. 

I think they are just saying it will be a normal league.  

14 minutes ago, admin said:

Are there other leagues in the world with playoffs and conferences?  I really don't know.

US based leagues have tried all sorts of things in the past not done anywhere else. 

I think they are just saying it will be a normal league.  

There's playoffs all over the Americas and some of Asia. There's also a model of play-off in place in various European leagues as well (when you have the sort of mini seasons to decide who is the champ and who goes down)

There's also just various season structures all over the place.

I do agree on conferences but that's more the result of allowing teams across a massive country rather than sticking almost all the teams in one geographic location like Russia, Australia, Brazil and China kind of do.

Edited by matty

20 minutes ago, matty said:

Bad verbiage by me, was recapping it in a hurry as work was almost done. It was like @adminsaid not an MLS type format that casual fans are probably familiar with given the nature of the show. 

53 minutes ago, matty said:

Probably any league that doesn’t feature arbitrary rules, allocation money, draft picks, allocation order, single entity etc. In other words, actual football clubs.  I know that will offend mls fans but it’s reality.  People want to support real clubs not phony subsidiaries.

Edited by Keegan

36 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Probably any league that doesn’t feature arbitrary rules, allocation money, draft picks, allocation order, single entity etc. In other words, actual football clubs.  I know that will offend mls fans but it’s reality.  People want to support real clubs not phony subsidiaries.

I actually think FIFA secretly wishes every league was like MLS. Don't ask me to get into it but MLS is like the dream operation for a soccer league (draft and secret trade stuff aside). I get fans hating it cause of a lot of what you listed but I could see FIFA wanting it everywhere.

Also to be honest, I don't think people actually give a shit about whether it's a club or a franchise, I think they just want to be entertained and have something to follow.

Edited by matty

7 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Instead of replacing the turf from the beginning, especially if they are  worried about the sustainability of soccer, they could just paint over the other lines. It might not be perfect but would be a good temporary solution. 

My main concern with CFL stadia isn't the lines, it's the length of the field and the lack of close stands behind the goals. 

No need to paint, just use Nexxfield portable turf like Impact at Olympic stadium and New York Cosmos last year in Brooklyn, company is located in Quebec I believe and the stuff is FIFA approved, takes about 12 hrs to put down and take up. $500K.

Big-O.jpg?null&itok=-KnLesHs&c=08ce797bb

MCU-Park42417ML.jpg

Edited by CDNFootballer

1 hour ago, matty said:

I actually think FIFA secretly wishes every league was like MLS. Don't ask me to get into it but MLS is like the dream operation for a soccer league (draft and secret trade stuff aside). I get fans hating it cause of a lot of what you listed but I could see FIFA wanting it everywhere.

Also to be honest, I don't think people actually give a shit about whether it's a club or a franchise, I think they just want to be entertained and have something to follow.

People definitely do care.. they’ll ignore it if a team is successful but that can only be a few teams.  I think it’s one of the reasons you never see casual sports fans get into tfc.. it literally takes a hundred hours to understand what the hell is going on.  Sure  they’ll come to games but no one is going to try to understand the management aspect.  Fans need that.. people don’t just want to blindly follow. Just think of yourself.. if there was a sport you had little interest in to begin with what would crazy rules do for you? You’d probably say screw this no? I don’t like basketball but at least I can understand what’s happening with little effort... MLS good luck.

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

People definitely do care.. they’ll ignore it if a team is successful but that can only be a few teams.  I think it’s one of the reasons you never see casual sports fans get into tfc.. it literally takes a hundred hours to understand what the hell is going on.  Sure  they’ll come to games but no one is going to try to understand the management aspect.  Fans need that.. people don’t just want to blindly follow. Just think of yourself.. if there was a sport you had little interest in to begin with what would crazy rules do for you? You’d probably say screw this no? I don’t like basketball but at least I can understand what’s happening with little effort... MLS good luck.

my statement about fans not caring was about whether it was a club or a franchise. i do think fans care about the nature of the league more but don't see the nature of mls as being the biggest problem soccer faces in terms of fans following the management aspect.

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

You are talking about MLS crazy roster/managment rules and comparing them to baseball?  Baseball has crazy management stuff as well, farm teams, Drafts, compensatory picks, free agents, qualifying offers, salary arbitration, luxury taxes, 25 man, 40 man and  expanded rosters, disabled list, waivers, rule 5 draft etc etc???  MLS has crazy rules as well but I dont think they keep anyone from watching whats happening on the field.  

11 hours ago, Keegan said:

Personally, I think casual fans will have way more problems understanding the lack of playoffs than roster rules, they'll just ignore the latter. 

I know the absence of playoffs is popular in the hardcore soccer demographic, but in my casual canvassing it seems like a turn off for casual fans. Hopefully it doesn't matter much since atmosphere>rules for casual fans

Edited by Complete Homer
Grammar

A long time ago I accepted that the CPL might not have games on TV. But I was just looking through the guide and TSN 2 replayed the TFC vs Columbus game last night at 11pm... then at something like 5:30 they replayed it 4 MORE TIMES IN A ROW! Then played Sportscentre for half an hour, then ANOTHER REPLAY of the game. Maybe they are desperate enough for the content.