CPL General

5 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Might be a good idea to add team forums as they are officially announced.

Agree. Wait until we get the correct official club name then create each "official" team thread.

I just looked at the Spruce Meadows site. They're going to use a stadium for horse-jumping?!?! I hope it's dedicated to soccer, because if they decide on mixed use, it's going to leave the field unplayable for weeks after equestrian events. 

7 minutes ago, Initial B said:

I just looked at the Spruce Meadows site. They're going to use a stadium for horse-jumping?!?! I hope it's dedicated to soccer, because if they decide on mixed use, it's going to leave the field unplayable for weeks after equestrian events. 

There's multiple venues within Spruce Meadows. I imagine they will convert one and avoid using it for equestrian events

Spruce+Meadows+Calgary+Aerial+Photograph.jpg

Why would you assume that they're stupid enough to use one field for both sports?  They have 400 acres at the facilities and lots of money.

The continual assumptions by the skeptical that these are idiots who have no clue what they're doing is mind numbing.  The so called "experts" on here that repeatedly assume worst case scenarios in their minds because they don't have all the information they crave is insane.

2 hours ago, Rheo said:

Why would you assume that they're stupid enough to use one field for both sports?  They have 400 acres at the facilities and lots of money.

The continual assumptions by the skeptical that these are idiots who have no clue what they're doing is mind numbing.  The so called "experts" on here that repeatedly assume worst case scenarios in their minds because they don't have all the information they crave is insane.

Come on...lets be fair, the "expert" would assume the worst even when he is sitting in the stands on day one.  

Spring 2019 can't come fast enough... the CPL will really help developing Canadian players as the years go by and dang it I hope many Canadians playing low level soccer joins this league from the start. Maybe Hutchinson comes as well to retire after a year or two in CPL that would be a big coup for CPL. 

Anyhow can't wait to hear the annoucements in a few days...

17 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

Spring 2019 can't come fast enough... the CPL will really help developing Canadian players as the years go by and dang it I hope many Canadians playing low level soccer joins this league from the start. Maybe Hutchinson comes as well to retire after a year or two in CPL that would be a big coup for CPL. 

Anyhow can't wait to hear the annoucements in a few days...

It will be massive!

Just think what we've done with 3 clubs!! not much....but a lot. ANd now we'll have 10+.  Canada has always had the talent, just a place to nurture and let them be themselves.  

1 minute ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

It will be massive!

Just think what we've done with 3 clubs!! not much....but a lot. ANd now we'll have 10+.  Canada has always had the talent, just a place to nurture and let them be themselves.  

Yes true, but not at least with CPL coming those players who weren't given a true chance to succeed will have CPL to go to and help grow this league. I feel to many times it's not always failure, but lack of trust and pt for many young Canucks in MLS. Obviously in Europe it's a similar situation, but Europe you gotta come correct. Again low level players should come home and bring the European flair or teaching to CPL. Plus will have zero unattached players... maybe though

Another article about the Calgary club, this time with the following quote:

FIFA, the sport’s world governing body, has been to Spruce Meadows to inspect the site ahead of renovations and further details about the project and which arena will be renovated are expected to be revealed on May 17.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4193137/spruce-meadows-calgary-professional-soccer-team/?utm_medium=Twitter&utm_source=%40GlobalCalgary

Thanks @shermanatorcouple of things that caught my eye

“We have infrastructure, we have parking, we have washrooms, we have ease of access for public transportation. All of those things tick the boxes.”

“And now they [compete] before half a million people a year at Spruce Meadows and we hope the same will apply to soccer as we go forward.”

So 500k can show up there for equestrian which is about a third of what the CPL season would be with capacity (its late and I’m estimating so sorry if my math is off) and it sounds like they have a plan to get transit out there. Far from the bumbling idiots that some here like to assume 

7 hours ago, Rheo said:

Thanks @shermanatorcouple of things that caught my eye

“We have infrastructure, we have parking, we have washrooms, we have ease of access for public transportation. All of those things tick the boxes.”

“And now they [compete] before half a million people a year at Spruce Meadows and we hope the same will apply to soccer as we go forward.”

So 500k can show up there for equestrian which is about a third of what the CPL season would be with capacity (its late and I’m estimating so sorry if my math is off) and it sounds like they have a plan to get transit out there. Far from the bumbling idiots that some here like to assume 

I hope they team up with the Foothills (or another existing youth team) to get some soccer know-how, cause infrastructure is important, but so is the soccer side of things. We've all seen the mistakes Fath made when he first got into soccer. And besides, I like the Foothills branding and set-up. 

On the Soccer Today pod yesterday they recapped the weekend’s CPL news. Mostly teases for their Patreon show, but Rollins dropped that Saskatchewan and Kitchener/Waterloo were still in play, not ready yet but the next two in (after Ottawa and Edmonton)

Edited by Rheo

Just now, ChrisinOrleans said:

Great interview. 

Honestly, I am still astonished at how deep the links of Hamilton (and I guess Winnipeg) go in this league. Wild. 

I haven't listened yet, just got into work.  Soon though.  Glad to hear it's good though.

10 hours ago, Rheo said:

Some highlights from the TSN 690 interview.  Lots of the the PB greatest hits (if you've listened to a lot of his interviews) but still

-Talked about how CPL has been bubbling since before he went to Brighton.

-Went over semantics that no teams have been granted by CPL but professional teams recognized by the CSA but that is starting this week.

-Went over the general details of what he's done since being hired, lots of the boring contractual/legals things.  Talked of the lack of infrastructure being the root of the challenge  but spoke of the importance on how the advancements in construction, bringing costs down.  

-Talk of the history of the game in Canada (ie second oldest association after England)

-Once again stated the goal of pro/rel, that they believe in the "meritocracy of the game".  Talked about the oddness of taking a 110 year system where no real profesional tier developed from the bottom of the pyramid and placing a top division on top of the existing infrastructure.  Then envision a top tier of 12-16 teams and when the marker/culture is ready then they'll build a second division with pro/rel.  He guesses 10-12 years.  But it's a big challenge when it happens noting issues like the connecting of the second level to the existing infrastructure to complete the pyramid, the unique Canadian problems costs involved in travel, the distance between markets, population distribution etc.  But they have time to figure it out and that over that time there will be the will to figure it out.

36 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Some highlights from the TSN 690 interview.  Lots of the the PB greatest hits (if you've listened to a lot of his interviews) but still

-Talk of the history of the game in Canada (ie second oldest association after England)

I think one or two lines that Bierne touched on here are more than important. Maybe I'm wandering into rose-coloured-glasses territory here, so if this is a tangent, let me know. 

Bierne talked about how soccer is making Canada more attractive and open to the world. We take in 1% of our total population a year in immigration, and they all want pro soccer. This is just making us a better place to live and have a family. Which I thought was the coolest way to brand this thing to non-sports fans.

I mean, the launch video shows not only men and women playing the game, but people of all ethnicities (I am assuming they used the same video in English too), and regions. Given the controversy around USL-PDL barring Labbé, it cannot hurt the CanPL to be branding itself as the ultra-modern, progressive alternative; regardless of actual on-field presence. Perception is reality, after all.

I'm really excited to see this league launch. God willing, Ottawa/Montréal/Québec has something in there at launch.  

9 hours ago, Rheo said:

Up too late but 

Damn, lots to unpack in this.  Really good though, recommended for sure.  Lot's of the usual but lots of newer stuff. (sorry for any typos/grammar issues, did this at work and only quickly reread)

-Once again 8-10 teams at launch, April-October.  Month preseason in a warmer client

-They’ve already seen MLS overtake the CFL in hearts and minds and people’s passions in those markets.  Not replace them, the CFL is still important but CPL can occupy other places in people’s hearts

-Talked about his experience with TFC and the importance of the internet and 2006 social media in the early success of TFC.  Allowing hardcore footy fans to find each other, noting message boards.  Which led to the supporting culture and internet finding each other.  Using that model in the formation of the CPL fan base.

-Lots of talk of the supporters groups forming on their own. 8-10 teams but 16 supporters groups across the country.  Lots of props for the Mississauga SG.  Their work in engaging politicians is an encouraging thing the league can point out to prospective owners.

-Some repetition of the TSN 690 interview in regards to the unique issues a Canadian league faces but states they’re looking to be aggressive and by 2024-26 be at 16 teams and then cap the growth and then develop the second tier with a goal of 8 teams to start.

-All stadiums must meet CONCACAF standards as teams will be in the Canadian Championship

-Talked about how quickly a healthy football culture can develop in a community pointing out the MLS markets in Canada

-Media-it’s a unique time, they have great content, Canadian content and with CSB they have an appealing package.  But talked about how it’s an interesting time with the crossroads of the cable industry figuring things out and the disruptive streaming industry where “there are a lot of players and there is a lot of disruption now.  That disruption I think will create oppourtunities for us”

-TV-won’t make a prediction where but guesses a hybrid (Cable/stream) can’t say at this point

-sees a central resource hub for media content, allowing the teams to pool resources.  With the ever changing digital market have "fewer people but better people" in charge of it to have the right kind of content that the fans want

-Esports is important, may not have a league (like NBA/MLS etc) at first but they are paying attention to it.

-The United World Cup bid is important, energizes supporters but also potential sponsors.

-Lots of talk of the potential of the Men’s program with expanded World Cup, CONCACAF Nation’s League and CPL where players will get to be known better with more meaningful games.

-talked about the “dedication to the promotion of our domestic players.  That we provide meaningful minutes, training hours and oppourtunities to shine in front of crowds.

-No time given but Women’s league is definitely on their radar but they have to walk before they can run, need the Men’s league established. 

-when asked what are you most worried about, “I don’t have the gene where I can focus on the downside, I only see the upside.  I’m just excited by the upside”

4 hours ago, shamrock said:

I hope they team up with the Foothills (or another existing youth team) to get some soccer know-how, cause infrastructure is important, but so is the soccer side of things. We've all seen the mistakes Fath made when he first got into soccer. And besides, I like the Foothills branding and set-up. 

Well the head of the Foothills is involved so there so one less thing to worry about lol

10 hours ago, Tigers said:

30 game season = 15 home matches x 7500 (?) = 112,500

Some quick assumptions but you might be a bit off. But also just makes it more manageable. 

I said it was late and I had a couple of beers drowning my Raptors sorrow lol.