CPL General

1 minute ago, shermanator said:

Feels good to not have to hold that secret any longer. I'm not a fan of the location, but I've made peace with it.

My partner's father is a English expat who lives 5 minutes away from Spruce Meadows. They are pretty pumped. It was only a couple summers ago I got them to try MLS out so we'll see how CPL fares against 'the Prem'

I'm curious what the renovations will be. Are they going to build a SSS that can also be used as a horse jumping field on occasion. Or are they just slightly modifying the horse jumping field that will be also be used for soccer?...

CBC article:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-halifax-york-region-port-city-soccer-1.4650706

"We have a number of designs underway," he said. "One of the great things we have that puts us at a bit of an advantage over some of our colleagues is that we have a great infrastructure at Spruce Meadows that also has, if you will, federation approved facilities — a different federation albeit — with grass rings and drainage and all those types of things so there are a number of things that are going to be unveiled in the next couple of weeks."

16 hours ago, masster said:

PGE Park worked very well for the Portland Timbers in their D2 days before they renovated it for MLS. It all depends on the set up of the baseball ground and how a soccer pitch would fit in there.

I remember a few years ago @Unnamed Trialist posted some pictures of the Baseball Stadium from the Barcelona Olympics that was turned into a nice soccer ground. It can be done.

Municipal Feixa Llarga

I've been to this stadium, for the 92 Olympics, many times, it is odd but it works, Hospitalet fans tend to sit in the main stand down what was the third base line, the rest is those 12-15 rows all the way around, as you can see. You see a press box slightly off centre, below that is where the club directors sit with visiting peers. So it is off centre and it is odd, but the architecture is smartly done. You could always extend that third base line grandstand another 30 metres and centre the fans better.

The core supporters are behind this far goal. Last time I went was a promotion playoff, a few years ago, and it was quite full. 

The extension down what was right field, outside the stadium, is now smaller practice and 7-a-side fields, so the overall area of the original baseball stadium is still dedicated to sports.

Another pic:

Image result for hospitalet estadi futbol

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

16 hours ago, masster said:

PGE Park worked very well for the Portland Timbers in their D2 days before they renovated it for MLS. It all depends on the set up of the baseball ground and how a soccer pitch would fit in there.

I remember a few years ago @Unnamed Trialist posted some pictures of the Baseball Stadium from the Barcelona Olympics that was turned into a nice soccer ground. It can be done.

Tampa Bay Rowdies owner made changes to Al Lang Stadium when they were in NASL to make it more soccer specific, not sure if this could be done with Edmonton's baseball stadium. Clarke Stadium is obviously more preferable and suitable so hope the FCE gets what they need there.

Al Lang :

1200px-Rowdies_Soccer_Config_2015.jpg

Edmonton's baseball stadium :

03-06-2015-0313_xgaplus.jpg

3 hours ago, shermanator said:

Feels good to not have to hold that secret any longer. I'm not a fan of the location, but I've made peace with it.

As someone from out of town can you explain the pros and cons of the location?

would be kind of cool if one of the stands used the existing roof. Has a bit of a Fulham vibe from the birds eye view. 

2 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

As someone from out of town can you explain the pros and cons of the location?

would be kind of cool if one of the stands used the existing roof. Has a bit of a Fulham vibe from the birds eye view. 

Pros - Technically not on city limits so the owner doesn't have to work with the city of Calgary. The owner owns the land, and is willing to build a stadium without a public dime spent, at a time when the big game in the city is trying to milk taxpayers for hundreds of millions of dollars, so there's an opportunity for good publicity on that front. Despite the poor location, it's close location to the C-Train means a quick shuttle bus from the Somerset / Bridlewood stop (which the horse jumping events currently does). Has potential for great mountain views. Easy to get to from Okotoks, where the PDL team plays, hopefully drawing off the fan base the PDL side builds up.

Cons - Cut off from the North half of the city by the city's main water supply and a provincial park. There is not a single North/South route on the West side of the city that can access the stadium. Using myself as an example, I live just North of the reservoir, and a 30 minute drive would be considered a good commute to Spruce Meadows. Often LRT lines are under construction during weekends which would make a long commute even worse. Being as Calgary is a very fickle (I would say terrible) sports town, this gives far too much ammunition for anyone on the fence to stay away.

http://calgarysun.com/news/local-news/soccer-stadium-coming-to-spruce-meadows-next-year/wcm/dbb58a10-c02a-4d55-ba69-8cc7da715e80?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1525639446

“The club will (be) commencing in 2019, be playing out of Spruce Meadows and will be owned by Spruce Meadows Sports and Entertainment,” Allison said. “We have existing facilities that will be modified, I would say. It would be renovations to bring a very unique and distinctive ambiance to the game.”

Sounds like it might be one of the existing equestrian related facilities rather than a new build, which should lower the price tag considerably.

3 hours ago, Rheo said:

Article on Halifax getting accepted into the league

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/1568511-halifax-a-step-closer-to-canadian-premier-league-soccer-team

Should we possibly think of having threads for the individual teams now rather than clogging up this thread with lots of information dropping in the near future?

I say create the team threads as they are officially announced at the end of their respective canpl.ca countdown. The hype is real! Team gets a name, colours, logo, and their own Voyageurs thread!