CPL General

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Could they even have the baseball stadium ready to go for next April? 

The problem is that Re/Max Field has a duel surface (grass outfield, turf infield) that would have to be replaced, and the Prospects have their games during the best time to have the field changed over.

It certainly isn't the best option unless you have a complete overhaul of the site, and that would certainly be more expensive than Clarke.

4 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

So basically:

Commissioner "yeah sure let's use a baseball stadium, why not?"

Fath: "uhhhh yeah... no."

Agree that looked a bit ominous for Edmonton participation, but this bit:

https://the11.ca/field-of-dreams-as-canpl-owners-meet-in-edmonton-commissioner-turns-eyes-towards-baseball-stadium/

How many ownership groups met behind closed doors? Clanachan smiled and said “more than eight.” He said the league is still on track to kick off with 8-10 teams in 2019, and that team announcements are set for one per week over the next six to seven weeks.

means we should soon know what's happening.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

55 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

They have talked about starting with 6 but needing 2 more in the pipeline to be able to do so.

They have also stated a few times now that they will start announcing teams on May 10th and every week after for the next 6 or 7. There are already two, May 10th York 9 and five or six more is how I read that. That is in the range of the 8-10.

Had Taylor Field been left alone there could have been another 15-20 teams. So close...so close to happening.

It’s meeting a mixed response in the Edmonton supporter community. Personally I think it would be ok but would need to be done right. Which would be difficult. But it could result in a very nice soccer specific stadium for Edmonton

7 hours ago, LAK said:

They have also stated a few times now that they will start announcing teams on May 10th and every week after for the next 6 or 7. There are already two, May 10th York 9 and five or six more is how I read that. That is in the range of the 8-10.

Had Taylor Field been left alone there could have been another 15-20 teams. So close...so close to happening.

Weird that they would put 15-20 teams at Taylor Field. :P

Well, if they're announcing 6-7 teams and they've got 2, that puts them at 8 or 9.  I can't see them starting with less than 8, which goes back to my original point of: they really need to ensure Edmonton is in, even if they're not playing at their preferred field.

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

They have talked about starting with 6 but needing 2 more in the pipeline to be able to do so.

Sure, but that was when they were talking about doing a half season this year.  I can't see them going a full year with only 6 or 7 teams.  The optics of it would be terrible.  The CFL already gets called a joke by some reporters for only having 8 or 9 teams.  Less than that would be a bad look.

1 hour ago, Nick P said:

It’s meeting a mixed response in the Edmonton supporter community. Personally I think it would be ok but would need to be done right. Which would be difficult. But it could result in a very nice soccer specific stadium for Edmonton

Do you mean for the land? Because I don't see how the existing stands could be incorporated into a SSS. The shape is just too off and would it would make more sense to start from scratch.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Sure, but that was when they were talking about doing a half season this year.  I can't see them going a full year with only 6 or 7 teams.  The optics of it would be terrible.  The CFL already gets called a joke by some reporters for only having 8 or 9 teams.  Less than that would be a bad look.

It wouldn't be ideal but it's a single table so it's possible. If they knew they had a team or two that wouldn't be quite ready in 2019 but would be reading in 2020 I could see them go with 6 or 7.

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

Do you mean for the land? Because I don't see how the existing stands could be incorporated into a SSS. The shape is just too off and would it would make more sense to start from scratch.

It's not ideal but as far as converted baseball stadiums go its not the worst. Rochester was very successful in a baseball stadium that had even tighter baseline stands than Edmonton. Then there is NYCFC at Yankee stadium, lol. 

The real leg up on Clarke that it would have is the capacity and amenities to meet, or be close to meeting CPL standards. 

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Sure, but that was when they were talking about doing a half season this year...

Almost 100% certain that Paul Beirne mentioned the six as the minimum actively participating to launch thing again as recently as his visit to Edmonton in March.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

21 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Looks like Dean Shillington is on the right, so that wild theory worked out

Edit:

Time to crowdsource figuring out who is who:

Left to right...

1. Tommy Wheeldon Jr., technical director for Calgary Foothills academy. Has previously denied being involved in ownership of a Calgary team but was interested in some sort of partnership

2. Paul Beirne, league president

3. David Clanachan, league commissioner

4. Rob Friend? Rumoured as an owner for BC

5. Martin, owner of SEA/Halifax team

6. Preben Ganzhorn? 

7. Jim Brennan, one of the York 9 owners. Not pictured is Carlo Baldarrasa, likely the main York 9 owner

8. Guessing Dean Shillington, founder of Knightsbridge Capital, rumoured owner of the BC team

Edited by Complete Homer

6 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Time to crowdsource figuring out who is who:

Left to right...

1. Tommy Wheeldon Jr., technical director for Calgary Foothills academy. Has previously denied being involved in ownership of a Calgary team but was interested in some sort of partnership

Tommy Wheeldon has been involved from the start. He's not an owner, but he's the soccer brains behind the operation. Bringing professional soccer back to Calgary has been his idea for a long time, and I'm glad it's finally happening in public.

3 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Tommy Wheeldon has been involved from the start. He's not an owner, but he's the soccer brains behind the operation. Bringing professional soccer back to Calgary has been his idea for a long time, and I'm glad it's finally happening in public.

Sounds good. He'd previously gone on the record as saying he wasn't an owner, that's what I was referring to. 

Recognize any other Calgary figures here? 

Edited by Complete Homer