CPL General

Hey guys! Are you forgetting that Duane Rollins just mentioned in his last podcast (2 days ago) that he has seen "physical concrete evidence" that FC Edmonton will be part of the 2019 launch date for the CPL. FC Edmonton is in the CPL. 

Edited by PJSweet

Just now, PJSweet said:

Hey guys! Are you forgetting that Duane Rollins just mentioned in his last podcast (2 days ago) that he has seen "physical concrete evidence" that FC Edmonton will be part of the 2019 launch date for the CPL. FC Edmonton is in the CPL. 

Cue now the 1000 word reply about how Rollins isn't a reporter who you can take what he says seriously, neglecting that Sandor, on the same episode, believes that FC Edmonton will be in at launch.

1 minute ago, PJSweet said:

Like people take Duane Rollins seriously. Nothing on Duane, but Duane has been burnt many times when trying to break CPL news. I think I'll wait until we have an announcement in 60-90 days.

About a year ago was he not reporting that the Katz group were going to be the CanPL investors in Edmonton as part of the supposed "original six" for 2018 only for it to soon be clarified by Steven Sandor that it wasn't even on their radar? As described above his credibility is gone, because he cried wolf way too often on imminent big announcements that never quite materialized. If FCE can't get something better out of the city for soccer stadium-wise (even if only as a smaller associated practice facility for the big event) when Edmonton is one of only three Canadian cities linked to the 2026 United bid, they probably never will. There's a credible reason why the Fath brothers would think that they have a shot at the moment at a scenario where they are potentially "sustainable".

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

35 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

About a year ago was he not reporting that the Katz group were going to be the CanPL investors in Edmonton as part of the supposed "original six" for 2018 only for it to soon be clarified by Steven Sandor that it wasn't even on their radar? As described above his credibility is gone, because he cried wolf way too often on imminent big announcements that never quite materialized. If FCE can't get something better out of the city for soccer stadium-wise (even if only as a smaller associated practice facility for the big event) when Edmonton is one of only three Canadian cities linked to the 2026 United bid, they probably never will. There's a credible reason why the Fath brothers would think that they have a shot at the moment at a scenario where they are potentially "sustainable".

His Credibility is gone?  He has been writing about soccer in this country for more than a decade .... for nothing.  He doesn't get fucking paid and spent time covering players and teams like the U17 Women's when no one else in this country was. 

Lighten the fuck up.  

Just now, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think you could have said that to a lot of people in this thread recently. I'm not the one who is turning into a seething mess on here every time somebody disagrees with me or insults me.

Apologies.  You are right.  There has been a lot of Duane bashing recently and seems quite unfair to me and I should not have directed it solely at you.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think you could have said that to a lot of people in this thread recently. I'm not the one who is turning into a seething mess on here every time somebody disagrees with me or insults me.

No, you're too busy ignoring posts that you can't defend.

I just realized why you think that an article in a Kitchener newspaper might be sending a message to Edmonton about the size of their soccer stadium...because that's what you do. You take little pithy shots at people in other posts and you think you're clever.

ps...I hope I didn't respond too quickly, to give you enough time to go back and re-edit your post three more times. This is what happens when you're always being antagonistic...you have to check your work thoroughly.

3 minutes ago, admin said:

Apologies.  You are right.  There has been a lot of Duane bashing recently and seems quite unfair to me and I should not have directed it solely at you.

Yeah but he never passes up the opportunity to bash him, refuses to acknowledge when he is right unless it fits his purposes and now cry when called out on it.  No apology needed in my opinion.

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Again, have you ever heard that saying, “You run into an ass hole during your day, you just ran into an ass hole. However, you keep running into ass holes, guess what, you’re the ass hole.” 

I think you can figure that one out yourself.

Hell, Gopherbashi and Unamed Trialist are equally as skeptical as you are but nobody has issues with them. Ever wonder why?

Lol, for BBTB. I know this doesn’t mean anything, but if an Ontario craft brewery can make and market a beer with such a specific kind of soccer reference only hardcore fans would know, it’s really telling imo. 

Oh, the beer is great for what it’s worth. Better than Erdinger Dunkel.

594171A0-7E41-44FD-A134-EB623A2CCE6B.jpeg

46E75523-114B-4911-BD9F-C2E8FDBCCC54.jpeg

Edited by Macksam

9 hours ago, admin said:

I for one would never apologize to ' Him who shall not be mentioned' but I will reaffirm my previous stance...he's an utter douchebag

Different sport, but worth noting that the Aviva Premiership (English Rugby) is looking at scrapping promotion/relegation.  An interesting argument in favour of it: Managers are so afraid of relegation that they play a more conservative style, leading to less core skill development and creativity (from both managers and players).  As well, it's caused a reliance on more proven (generally overseas) talent, rather than developing youngsters.  Just some things to think about.

http://www.rugbyworld.com/tournaments/aviva-premiership/scrapping-premiership-relegation-ben-ryan-90952

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Different sport, but worth noting that the Aviva Premiership (English Rugby) is looking at scrapping promotion/relegation.  An interesting argument in favour of it: Managers are so afraid of relegation that they play a more conservative style, leading to less core skill development and creativity (from both managers and players).  As well, it's caused a reliance on more proven (generally overseas) talent, rather than developing youngsters.  Just some things to think about.

http://www.rugbyworld.com/tournaments/aviva-premiership/scrapping-premiership-relegation-ben-ryan-90952

English football teams used to absolutely dominate the European club competitions until the hooligans got them banned. Shortly after the ban was lifted the Premier League was born, with its Sky TV riches and the accompanying terror of relegation because of the astronomical loss of income it entailed. And from that day to this, English club teams, despite their new found wealth, have been utter dog shit in the European club competitions. Not to mention the advent of teams like Chelski and Frenchnal.

So your point applies quite well to football as well! :)

(Although in the case of football I think it is more about the astronomical loss of income that comes with relegation, rather than relegation per se.)

Edited by dsqpr

8 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I have thought for a while that the North American template of no relegation and a draft has some development upside. You can play the young guys without fear of relegation, and the best prospects go to the teams that need them the most and will be able to play them, instead of being stuck behind players on the best team in the league.

But I guess it’s also tough to compare a sport like hockey with soccer because in hockey you can give playing time to 4 lines worth of players, but obviously playing time is more scarce on soccer teams.

Edited by Kent

Soccer Today pod is having Keaton Robbins on to talk CPL this morning.  Don't see anything soccer/CPL related when I search his name but some general sports/media stuff.  Works for Room Roster which is a sports tournament management advisor/service it looks like.  From their site

• RoomRoster™ bridges the information gap between Tournament Directors and teams. Behind the scenes, while teams and players register for tournaments and book hotel rooms, RoomRoster™ captures and organizes the incoming data in the Tournament Director Dashboard in real-time. Review your general trends or drill-down for specific details.

Curious to hear what the interview is about

update, just a new CPL pod 

Edited by Rheo

12 hours ago, Rheo said:

Soccer Today pod is having Keaton Robbins on to talk CPL this morning.  Don't see anything soccer/CPL related when I search his name but some general sports/media stuff.  Works for Room Roster which is a sports tournament management advisor/service it looks like.  From their site

• RoomRoster™ bridges the information gap between Tournament Directors and teams. Behind the scenes, while teams and players register for tournaments and book hotel rooms, RoomRoster™ captures and organizes the incoming data in the Tournament Director Dashboard in real-time. Review your general trends or drill-down for specific details.

Curious to hear what the interview is about

update, just a new CPL pod 

Just listened to the pod, some interesting stuff.

I imagine they expect some concrete news coming ASAP otherwise how do you expect people to pay for a CPL news podcasts considering the slow trickle of info thus far. 

Keaton is an ex-Ottawa guy, wrote for the Ottawa and Toronto Sun. Seems to have some sort of partnership with another Ottawa guy, Theo Gauthier.

Edited by BuzzAndSting