Canada vs England in the fall

Vince193

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Man! This is going to be painful listening to "footy" fans in Canada wearing Man U and Arsenal jerseys talking $h!t about Canadian soccer.

You got that half-right. As a Canadian kid doing a year of elementary school in England I fell in love with the team wearing a cannon badge on a "Canada" shirt (I was in grade one at the time). This Arsenal Fan will always cheer for Canada first.

Now, the prawn-sandwich brigade... ;)

If this is done right there's no reason this won't fetch a $3M+ gate. More quid in the CSA war chest (minus the England appearance fee)...with the soccer market in the GTA i don't understand why we don't schedule more friendlies with countries with large diasporas. The Americans whore it up for $$$, we should too.

5 predictions
1. 25-30k people will show
2. This game will be on TSN
3. There will be a special jersey for this game (because Canada 150)
4. Canada will field an A-Team including Hutch (who this will be a testimonial of sorts for)
5. Tabla will turn it down

I hate to throw a wet blanket on this parade, but England is already playing two matches in both the September and October international match dates (UEFA WC qualifying), while the November dates would have two UEFA WC play-off matches if they finish second in their group.

That doesn't leave a lot of time to fly over, recover from jet lag, fly back from, and recover from jet lag again.  Unless they just kick their B squad over here for shits and giggles.

I know the CSA wanted to schedule friendlies for each international match window this year, but I just don't see where England gets the time for it.

Rollins said England wasn't 100%, but that CSA is looking for a big name opponent for a September friendly in Toronto.

I agree this may be Hutchinson's retirement.  I'd also like to see deGuzman, Hume, Issey, Hirschfeld and Stamatopoulos honoured in some way.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

If this is done right there's no reason this won't fetch a $3M+ gate. More quid in the CSA war chest (minus the England appearance fee)...with the soccer market in the GTA i don't understand why we don't schedule more friendlies with countries with large diasporas. The Americans whore it up for $$$, we should too.

Because doing so consistently, frightfully exposes the weakness of our program, which in turns causes attendance to plummet against less well known teams, such as...well pretty much all of CONCAAF except the US and Mexico. It also doesn't exactly encourage fans to trade in their ancestral homeland's colors for their current homeland's.

You can't build your brand if you lose all the time, and especially not when you are encouraging people to support other popular brands. The short term benefit of cash, is seldom worth the long term effects you can have on the brand and program. You want people to support Canada on a consistent basis, not just come out and spend money and not buy merch when their ancestry comes into town.

At least the US can say, we are 23rd in the world. Yes, we'll probably lose a lot of the big power players, but we can at least make a show of it and occasionally pull one out of the hat. For us though, not as smart a choice.

A rare occasional big name is fine, but consistently, it's a terrible policy.

13 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Imo England would be a popular match and we'd hold decent. France would be less popular match and would almost certainly be demolished...

This is true. We would have no chance against France unless we go cagey and try pulling an Albania on them. However, considering they would be more care free in an exhibition, it could get pretty ugly. However, we could potentially punch above our weight like 86 and match France stride for stride, getting Platini like praise from Antoine Griezmann after the match.

17 minutes ago, One American said:

Why play England? Wouldn't a League of Nations game against St. Vincent do just as well?  - Victor Montagliani

Well our u20s beat Englands a couple years ago and didn't qualify for their world cup so maybe a friendly against a concacaf nation would have been better yes

16 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Well our u20s beat Englands a couple years ago and didn't qualify for their world cup so maybe a friendly against a concacaf nation would have been better yes

We always forget that the England U-19s had a Euro qualifier around the same time (and if I recall U-21 qualifiers too) so the team we beat wasn't the A team...Didn't fit our narrative. But anyway, that England team nevertheless had some good players on the pitch.

27 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

We always forget that the England U-19s had a Euro qualifier around the same time (and if I recall U-21 qualifiers too) so the team we beat wasn't the A team...Didn't fit our narrative. But anyway, that England team nevertheless had some good players on the pitch.

Ok we tied England recently too in a youth game and again that did not help us in our qualifying efforts. Did England bring their B-team in that game too?

Archived