Canada vs England in the fall

Vince193

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, dsqpr said:

The experience of watching Canada take on a huge team at a rocking BMO Field? Um, all of them!

This is also very true.  As much as a match against England will bring out a ton of away fans, it also means a relatively easy sell-out of the south end, which is fantastic marketing for us.  A lot better than getting 15K against Ecuador or something and selling out 112-114, that's for sure.

Re: getting crushed, we lost 3-0 to Mexico at home in 2016...when's the last time before that we had a heavy home loss?  We haven't played a ton of home matches, but our last three goal loss before that was 20 years ago ('97 to the US in Burnaby in a meaningless WCQ) and by my quick skim we've never lost a full senior international at home by more than three goals ever.   Our worst friendly loss in recent memory is probably that awful 2-0 Peru game in 2010.

On June 1, 2017 at 7:57 PM, toontownman said:

New mosaic stadium in Regina makes more sense.. more central ;)

That would be lovely, but the CSA pretty much stated that they won't schedule a game here. Apologies if you already were well aware and were just having a laugh.

On 31/05/2017 at 2:37 PM, Gopherbashi said:

I hate to throw a wet blanket on this parade, but England is already playing two matches in both the September and October international match dates (UEFA WC qualifying), while the November dates would have two UEFA WC play-off matches if they finish second in their group.

That doesn't leave a lot of time to fly over, recover from jet lag, fly back from, and recover from jet lag again.  Unless they just kick their B squad over here for shits and giggles.

I know the CSA wanted to schedule friendlies for each international match window this year, but I just don't see where England gets the time for it.

They send their b team.  Canada wins.  England decides afterwards that it wasn't an official match.  ...as happened with a rugby game a zillion years ago.

11 hours ago, matty said:

Note: I hope they book a second game prior to this. I'm kind of sick of single game camps

I totally agree with you, Canada needs more games! Mexico and the United States play almost double what Canada plays. Yes Mexico and the USA do get invited and qualify for more tournaments then we do but ... they play way more friendlies. I don't understand the CSA logic. With more games you need a wider player pool, which means more opportunities for players to play for the SR. national team , which means more opportunities for players to get noticed. Canada has used only 46 players the last 12 months... Mexico has used 51 and the United States has used 57 players.  How many times have we the fans have heard about duel nationals picking other countries to play because they were never called or never scouted to the national team prime example GK Asmir Begovic. More games could mean more opportunities for increased revenues and the possibility of gaining more and bigger sponsors. With more games It puts Canada more in the spotlight of the football world and if Canada starts winning or even just having a good result, top end duel or non duel nationals will start choosing Canada. Im sure that draw against Scotland made some players on fence think hard about the option to play for Canada. We need more of that. 

Also I love that we have an 95%-98% chance to host some games in the 2026 World Cup. The fan's excited has been amazing and everyone is talking about it. But there is still 2022 Qatar. We really to qualify for that World Cup ! And we need more games to get us ready. Qualifying will start soon for 2022! 

The buzz created from this game would far outweigh any negativity and would in the end.  For me its just like the concerns about hosting Mexico in BC Place and having the full stadium opened up allowing more Mexican fans to attend.  The game was an amazing spectacle to watch on tv and gave the program some much needed exposure and momentum despite the result.  And just think if we could get a result or keep England close it would do wonders for the program.  We need more games for the CMNT and this one would be tremendous.

I'll admit, playing England would be exciting. I would certainly draw interest. From a purely fan pov, I'd love to see it.

I'm not sure what would be in it for them though. Game would have to be in Toronto IMO. 

As long as WCQ goes through CONCACAF, I think our friendlies ought to be against CONCACAF opposition as often as possible. Ideally the better teams... Costa Rica, Mexico, USA, Honduras etc... Away games if possible. 

We've shown we can beat Northern Ireland or Uzbekistan or draw Scotland/Ghana/Azerbaijan but the style of game is so different to what we see in qualifying that I don't think it's the best tool for evaluating/developing our players/system. 

Not as exciting as a game against England but I think we should learn how to play against Concacaf opposition. IIRC, we missed out on the hex by one point in each of the last two WCQ cycles. 

I'm tired of hearing how hard it is to play in San Salvador or Tegucigalpa. We should have beaten El Salvador away last time, and we led Honduras away as well. 

I don't want to hear Craig Forrest (no disrespect, best Canadian keeper of all time IMO) complain about time wasting and faking injuries and hostile environments. We have to find a way to overcome these teams. I think playing them as often as possible makes the most sense.

I know it's not that simple and money doesn't grow on trees and we have lots of European based players etc... I just ask myself, what gives us the best chance to win? 

That being said, a friendly against England would be a lot of fun wouldn't it? 

Good point. Didn't know this was in the works. I think it would be good for us but I wouldn't blame USA or Mexico for shunning it. Can't see how it might benefit either of them. 

Still, I think it would be good for us. From what I've read it looks like it would be tiered and as much of an optimist as I am, there's always the disastrous possibility of us getting relegated. Then again, our Gold Cup warm up is Curacao so make of that what you will.

Maybe even then, a couple away games in the Caribbean are better than a 1-0 win in snowy Luxembourg or a 3-0 loss away to Macedonia. Remember that game? Where the ref was paid off to ensure 3 or more goals and granted Canada two penalties only to see them miss both. 

Anyway, I'm way off topic. Would welcome a one off friendly event against England for the interest factor but Nations league looks like an improvement over the status quo. 

3 minutes ago, Markus said:

Good point. Didn't know this was in the works. I think it would be good for us but I wouldn't blame USA or Mexico for shunning it. Can't see how it might benefit either of them.

The good thing is not matter how much they protest, there's nothing they can do about it!

Also, clearly the US still needs to play CONCACAF as they are far from guaranteed from making it to Russia 2018. Panama or Honduras could still take the 3rd and 4th spots eliminating them.

No matter how much they like to delusion themselves, they aren't in Mexico's league

On 2017-06-04 at 2:30 PM, Club Linesman said:

The buzz created from this game would far outweigh any negativity and would in the end.  For me its just like the concerns about hosting Mexico in BC Place and having the full stadium opened up allowing more Mexican fans to attend.  The game was an amazing spectacle to watch on tv and gave the program some much needed exposure and momentum despite the result.  And just think if we could get a result or keep England close it would do wonders for the program.  We need more games for the CMNT and this one would be tremendous.

We tied Brazil back in the day remember, Eddy Berdusco getting the equalizer I think, and what did that do for our program? How many World Cups or Hex have we qualified for since then, anybody?

10 minutes ago, 1996 said:

We tied Brazil back in the day remember, Eddy Berdusco getting the equalizer I think, and what did that do for our program? How many World Cups or Hex have we qualified for since then, anybody?

Well that game was fairly instrumental in the creation of this supporters group.

I agree with your point though. There are no easy fixes. We need a lot of work put into a lot of areas to continue to improve. But there are a ton of positives to playing a home friendly against a big-name opponent. We can speculate forever what might happen and what the reaction will be and what the long-term impact would be (if anything), but no one knows. However, I think we all agree that it would be a lot of fun and the kind of friendly we haven't had in nearly 20 years. So I hope it happens.

cheers, matthew

7 minutes ago, matthew said:

Well that game was fairly instrumental in the creation of this supporters group.

I agree with your point though. There are no easy fixes. We need a lot of work put into a lot of areas to continue to improve. But there are a ton of positives to playing a home friendly against a big-name opponent. We can speculate forever what might happen and what the reaction will be and what the long-term impact would be (if anything), but no one knows. However, I think we all agree that it would be a lot of fun and the kind of friendly we haven't had in nearly 20 years. So I hope it happens.

cheers, matthew

I'm for playing these big countries, but let's not get carried away that even by beating one of these countries it will have any real effect on the game here in Canada, and had to bring up that Brazil game as an example, however , make a meaningful tournament for once and then get a result against a big team well then that should have a bit of a lasting effect.

2 hours ago, 1996 said:

Probably the most salient point made here. That was a special moment and a highlight for all of us. Games against big clubs are really fun... but I don't know anyone not on this board who even knows about that game. Granted, it was over 20 years ago. Still, we put two past them in '08 and again I wouldn't know anyone not on this board who is aware of that. 

A big home friendly would be fun and generate some revenue. Don't think it really helps otherwise. I'm not against it, just think if we have limited friendlies, best to play Concacaf teams and get used to playing away in Central America if we can afford it.

Just to be clear, I am in no way suggesting we ever turn down a chance to play Brazil (or England) :)

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

The good thing is not matter how much they protest, there's nothing they can do about it!

Also, clearly the US still needs to play CONCACAF as they are far from guaranteed from making it to Russia 2018. Panama or Honduras could still take the 3rd and 4th spots eliminating them.

No matter how much they like to delusion themselves, they aren't in Mexico's league

Clearly I'm not in the loop. If I'm honest, I find it too depressing to watch the hex. IIRC, Mexico started pretty shakily last hex but recovered. When the chips are down, I can't see the US missing out but like I said, I haven't watched any of the Hex. 

Quick note: This thread, which is currently based on one tweet from an unofficial source, is already longer than the one on current MNT regular Manjrekar James and has almost as many views in 5 days as the "Worldwide women's news" thread has had in almost years.

17 hours ago, 1996 said:

I'm for playing these big countries, but let's not get carried away that even by beating one of these countries it will have any real effect on the game here in Canada, and had to bring up that Brazil game as an example, however , make a meaningful tournament for once and then get a result against a big team well then that should have a bit of a lasting effect.

I would say the one major difference we have between the Brazil game and the proposed England friendly this Fall, is that we now have three teams playing in our country at the highest North American level, a number of academies that appear to be viable ways to earning a paycheck in soccer and the proposed Canadian League.  We have CMNT and CWNT games on television on a fairly regular basis and if the stars align and we have a great turnout and somehow get a result I would hope that the momentum from that and the possibility of hosting the World Cup would pay dividends.  Having said all that, even though I am relatively new to the Voyaguers, I watched 8-1 after rushing home from work and am not unaware of my extreme optimism which still exists.

22 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

I would say the one major difference we have between the Brazil game and the proposed England friendly this Fall, is that we now have three teams playing in our country at the highest North American level, a number of academies that appear to be viable ways to earning a paycheck in soccer and the proposed Canadian League.  We have CMNT and CWNT games on television on a fairly regular basis and if the stars align and we have a great turnout and somehow get a result I would hope that the momentum from that and the possibility of hosting the World Cup would pay dividends.  Having said all that, even though I am relatively new to the Voyaguers, I watched 8-1 after rushing home from work and am not unaware of my extreme optimism which still exists.

I was following 8 1 on twitter walking to ASDA. Slowest food shop I have ever done

Archived