Terrain de soccer du Royal-Saint-David 1

https://goo.gl/maps/hstoKcsuPgMw1ZZq7 

• 10 minutes' drive from the centre of Quebec City with good car access
  • Lots of space for a pop-up stadium
  • Lots of parking
  • Indoor soccer facility next door
  • Owned or operated by the city of Quebec it seems
  • Streetview shows good quality turf.

Could this be a great spot to start a CPL team?

Soccer fields and stadiums - Royal-Saint-David soccer field (quebec.qc.ca) 

19 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Isn't MLS like 350 million?

MLS is 20 + years old. Massive tv deal. Have clubs that are established with state of the arm stadiums. Not really apples to apples.  

What's the CEBL franchise fee? Different sports but started at the same time. CEBL might have higher ticket revenue and lower operating cost. 

On 10/22/2022 at 11:54 AM, Watchmen said:

The 6 million quote is interesting because there's been people on here saying it's 12 million.

That isnt surprising is it??  Plenty of posters will double something just to help prove their point.  Or cut it in half...now that i think of it, I heard the fee was 3million, HEHEHEHE.  

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

That was a figure commonly quoted. Then a poster "heard" it was $12m and that's been the new figure quoted around here more recently.

Obviously it depends who is asking?

In seriousness, I am interested as to if it's existing ownership taking on a second club whether it's different. 

6 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Obviously it depends who is asking?

In seriousness, I am interested as to if it's existing ownership taking on a second club whether it's different. 

I know Shillington held an option on the Vancouver area for expansion. I think it's safe to assume that was at a lower rate. But a Quebec expansion team would be a different matter, unless it was another current owner trying to put a team there. A new owner you'd expect to be paying whatever the current market rate is, which is why I found the $6m number interesting because it's not only lower than the current rumored amount but lower than the previous rumored amount. Which doesn't make any of these amounts true, of course, since the league divulges nothing.

8 hours ago, ted said:

I expect that he and his partners paid something close to the same fee for Vancouver FC as they did for PFC.

I suspect (and here I do not have clear info, just basing this on sequences, statements) they paid their Vancouver fee, in line with other CPL original clubs. Then when they could not make a Fraser Valley deal for a stadium, the CPL made that same fee applicable to the Pacific project, not requiring them to pay a 2nd fee for the Island. They would have paid once.

Then, since they'd made manifest their interest in the Lower Mainland from the start, they had some deal in place whereby if they were able to put together a "Vancouver" club, they'd be able to get in on the same fee, or at least similar. The deal was extended forward.

I would imagine a specific document was signed in this regard. I am not going to say it was the same fee, because they could have thrown in a slight % increase per year of delay. 

This partially explains something I did not get at first: the CPL seemed stand-offish with Saskatoon, who were putting out renders of a stadium and garnering interest in the community. But then the CPL was happy to announce the Friend in Langley project quickly and with hardly any indication of anything being done. My reading is that is because of the previously signed agreement.

Continuing with the line of thought: I wonder if Clanachan put something down or got an early-bird deal or similar for Windsor.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I suspect (and here I do not have clear info, just basing this on sequences, statements) they paid their Vancouver fee, in line with other CPL original clubs. Then when they could not make a Fraser Valley deal for a stadium, the CPL made that same fee applicable to the Pacific project, not requiring them to pay a 2nd fee for the Island. They would have paid once.

Then, since they'd made manifest their interest in the Lower Mainland from the start, they had some deal in place whereby if they were able to put together a "Vancouver" club, they'd be able to get in on the same fee, or at least similar. The deal was extended forward.

I would imagine a specific document was signed in this regard. I am not going to say it was the same fee, because they could have thrown in a slight % increase per year of delay. 

This partially explains something I did not get at first: the CPL seemed stand-offish with Saskatoon, who were putting out renders of a stadium and garnering interest in the community. But then the CPL was happy to announce the Friend in Langley project quickly and with hardly any indication of anything being done. My reading is that is because of the previously signed agreement.

Continuing with the line of thought: I wonder if Clanachan put something down or got an early-bird deal or similar for Windsor.

This is generally what I have heard. We know Friend/Shillington's first choice was greater Vancouver, but when they couldn't get that worked out the league wanted them to start the team in greater Victoria so they could get the number of teams up and establish the coast-to-coast presence. Friend/Shillington obviously agreed, but held an option on the GVRD. I've heard that it was a bit time sensitive, but I suspect the league might have extended the deadline based on losing a year.

• 1 month later...

An update about CPL in Québec City

Thread + translation

-A 6000 seats modular stadium is being considered

-Quebec City (city hall politicians and city staff are very supportive)

-According to the paperwork, the city had previously denied the existence of paperwork about the construction of a stadium. However, the city shared a legal note saying that it cannot share any information that may interfere with negotiations leading to a deal. Also, an organisation (the city) can refuse to share any information if that was a recommendation made within an ongoing process.

-In a nutshell, they've been working hard behind the scene*

*so much about the negative speculations.

-2024 would be ambitions but not impossible. A 2025 launch is deemed as more realistic.

-Construction of a modular stadium takes between 4 to 6 months

-Potential sites inspections will begin soon if not already started 

-Downtown Quebec City isn't the only option

-The study showing enthousiam for a CPL franchise reassured the league and investors

-The expansion fee is being negotiated. The new commissioner is open to their arguments and the project as a whole. A win-win deal should be found.**

**Let's not forget that Saputo did the same prior to enter MLS

There you have it, Quebec City seems likely for a 2025 launch just prior to the World Cup. They've been working for a while behind the scenes on the project --> to the naysayers, silence doesn't mean nothing's happening.

So we can finally put to rest the use of the PEPS stadium of Laval University. The league seems to demand a soccer stadium (or meeting league standards) as a must for an expansion. Looks like University stadiums won't be allowed going forward, time to put those kind of speculations to rest

Under Noonan, seems like there's room to negotiate the expansion fee that might not have been there under Clanachan. Makes sense as a business but it falls on the applicant to make the case on why it should be lowered. That's smart business.

7 hours ago, toontownman said:

If we can get Saskatoon, Kelowna, Quebec and Windsor up and running and Edmonton back for 2026 that would be immense. Not impossible either. We would also need another team to even out! Moncton or St. Johns? 

I would like to see Quebec City and Laval getting teams, Quebec traditionally has a good talent pool 

11 hours ago, toontownman said:

If we can get Saskatoon, Kelowna, Quebec and Windsor up and running and Edmonton back for 2026 that would be immense. Not impossible either. We would also need another team to even out! Moncton or St. Johns

Could be a good shout. Rumoured for a long time and home to the King George V Stadium if I remember correctly.

5 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Could be a good shout. Rumoured for a long time and home to the King George V Stadium if I remember correctly.

I think it was looked at when the league was gaining traction (2018ish) but ultimately the group moved on. 

I haven't heard anything else locally since.

12 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

I would like to see Quebec City and Laval getting teams, Quebec traditionally has a good talent pool 

There is already 2 PLSQ teams in Laval and they are good. They could feed a CPL team along with the rest of the PLSQ and Montréal using both to send youngsters on loan