Quebec City CPL

3 hours ago, Nathanael Martin said:

I'm excited about this! Not just the idea of a team in Quebec, but an SG for canPL. I feel like I've met soccer fans from across the country though canPL, but not Quebec. Looking forward to drinking beer with Québécoise brethren!

oh fuck ya bud.  I'm already planning my cross canada road trip for 2019.  

Trying to anticipate what might be the level of interest in of a CPL club in Québec City, I went to see semi-pro club Dynamo de Québec. They play in Lévis, on the other side of the river (too far for me to go watch the team there), and last Saturday they played at Université Laval. They are not supposed to play again in Québec city this season.

I had the chance to talk to the mother of one of the players. She told me the team lost its first 4 matches, and they didn’t manage to score yet. Fortunately, Dynamo managed to score in a 2-1 win for the first time this season.

I asked the mother’s player about the attendance in Lévis; she told there are usually 200 people, and that afternoon there were easily 400 people, maybe 500. The ticket price was 5$. I found out that many of the younger players come from the CEGEP (pre-university college) teams in Québec city.

Also, I found out a player that might be of interest for the mother of Canucks abroad database. His name is Lukumbi Tshindaye, he’s 17 years old and he’s from Rwanda. I don’t know if he’s Canadian but he lives here since 2010. He had a tryout with West Bromwich’s Academy and apparently the club was interested in him, they told him come again this fall before the next season starts.

• 3 months later...

When did he mention that? Way back many weeks ago or today? My recollection was that it was Duane Rollins rather than Paul Beirne that mentioned possible Quebec City (and Trois Rivieres based on the old Attak owners) interest in a blog and then somebody reasonably credible in the Quebec City area tweeted about there being a possible investor there. Think that tweet later got deleted.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

When did he mention that? Way back many weeks ago or today? My recollection was that it was Duane Rollins rather than Paul Beirne that mentioned possible Quebec City (and Trois Rivieres based on the old Attak owners) interest in a blog and then somebody reasonably credible in the Quebec City area tweeted about there being a possible investor there. Think that tweet later got deleted.

I don't respond on here very much, although I do lurk quite a bit and your continued shots at Duane Rollins is super annoying. He has been right about most everything about this league so far and yet you continue to claim otherwise. I know you have your opinion, but so much of the conflict you have had with others on this forum seems to stem from your selective use of sources. It's kind of annoying...that's my opinion.

15 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Was there any additional information provided about the investment opportunity that Beirne mentioned in Québec/Lévis?

Let's get this thread back on track and ignore the people that always seem to want to start a personal fight rather than discuss the issues. The big problem for anything to happen quickly in Quebec City as opposed to the province of Quebec in its totality is that the only available stadium has permanently marked fieldturf with a football gridiron and is used by university sports teams for a significant portion of the probable season. That's not completely insurmountable if something like the Nexturf tile system is used or a new unmarked fieldturf surface is installed but is still highly problematic. From what I can see the only possibility for something to happen easily and quickly in the province of Quebec is Claude Robillard in Montreal now that it has been vacated by FC Montreal. If there has been a surprise in recent weeks it has been how quiet things have been in terms of potential stadium builds/renovations even in Halifax. If something does start happening in Quebec City that's likely to provide the visible tip of the iceberg.

When people are saying that you are using sources selectively, or making an (admittedly sarcastic) comment that relates to your portrayal of the credibility of the sources of the issue, that isn't a personal attack, that is discussion of the issues. You generally portray Rollins as an attention seeker or even a liar, and I pointed out that this comment came directly from an interview with Beirne. That's all. Maybe I'm a little overzealous defending him (I don't even know the guy or have a particular interest in his stuff outside CPL), but I find it frustrating when people who are actually trying to contribute get smeared by the peanut gallery because they stuck their neck out a little. 

@ChrisinOrleans, to actually answer your question, I don't think there's been anything specific from Beirne regarding a location, I believe it was just a general comment that they had had contact with interested parties in Quebec.

Eric Chenoix, the guy behind Québec Soccer's blog, said there was interest from within Quebec City. He later took it it down, and it is hard to say if he took down because of it being too accurate or not accurate enough. 

Off the top of my head, I'm fairly sure Beirne has also commented about Quebec being important for the league, but I'm not sure which podcast it would be and I don't think there were any specifics 

Besides that I don't think there's been anything new, unfortunately 

Edited by Complete Homer

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/articles/canadian-premiere-league/canpl-bits-and-bites-for-may-17-r33/

...So Quebec looked like a long-shot. Until Paul answered my question.

"Yes there will be a team in Quebec, multiple maybe."

That got me to dig around yesterday. What I learned isn't particularly illuminating, but it was suggested to me that there are two groups that have made what was described to me as "preliminary" inquiries. 

One group was, as expected, out of Quebec City. No one could say for sure who might be behind such a bid, but a good guess might be the money people behind the Laval Rouge et Or...The second group was said to be the local ownership of the former Trois-Rivières Attack. The Attack were a reserve team of the Montreal Impact for several years. The Impact would not be involved...

10 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Let's get this thread back on track and ignore the people that always seem to want to start a personal fight rather than discuss the issues. 

So let me get this straight...to get the thread back on track you begin by taking a shot.

I already know how the rest of this is going to go. You will say it's not a shot and that you just want to get back to discussing the topic at hand. In the future if you really want to get a thread back on track, don't take a self righteous parting shot and claim innocence after.

What does any of that drivel have to do with the subject matter of the thread? Are you actually interested in the question of whether Quebec City is getting a CPL team any time soon? This part I had forgotten about:

two groups that have made what was described to me as "preliminary" inquiries. 

The way it reads to me is that Paul Beirne says there is going to be a team in the province of Quebec (note this is not the same as Quebec City) and maybe even multiple teams as part of the long term plan to have 20, 40 or 60 teams, but if it is only "preliminary" inquiries that were involved Quebec City isn't necessarily part of the 10 markets that he is confident will get there eventually at this point.

It all boils down to the attitude of the Rouge et Or, if somebody does step up to the plate in investor terms:

Stade_Telus_ULaval.jpg

There is adequate space left for a pro level soccer field inside the running track unlike some university stadiums (e.g. TD Waterhouse in London), so if it had unmarked fieldturf it would be no worse than Moncton.

30 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

I wonder if a Quebec team means another soccer-specific stadium in the league 

The Beirne quote about 6 of the 10 groups needing to construct a stadium makes me wonder

Winnipeg, Hamilton would be set obviously, as would Ottawa of they were considered part of the 10. We obviously don't have confirmation on Calgary, but if you're like me and think CSE is in, then it's possible that any remaining expressions of interest would be building 

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

What does any of that drivel have to do with the subject matter of the thread?

Are you not capable of moving on without taking a parting shot?

As far as Quebec City is concerned. I know that Laval has been resistant to anything moving into their territory. When there was CFL talk years ago, the university made it clear that they would not be welcome at Stade Telus. I think anything done there would not be at Laval, nor do I believe Tanguay is the interested party. He and Laval seem to view outside ventures as competing with what they're doing not complimenting them.

On 9/16/2017 at 9:10 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/articles/canadian-premiere-league/canpl-bits-and-bites-for-may-17-r33/

...So Quebec looked like a long-shot. Until Paul answered my question.

"Yes there will be a team in Quebec, multiple maybe."

That got me to dig around yesterday. What I learned isn't particularly illuminating, but it was suggested to me that there are two groups that have made what was described to me as "preliminary" inquiries. 

One group was, as expected, out of Quebec City. No one could say for sure who might be behind such a bid, but a good guess might be the money people behind the Laval Rouge et Or...The second group was said to be the local ownership of the former Trois-Rivières Attack. The Attack were a reserve team of the Montreal Impact for several years. The Impact would not be involved...

Trois-Rivières is an interesting market. It has a métro area of around 300k, and is 2 hours from MTL and 2 hours from Québec. Really low unemployment rate, and high incomes. They do have an existing soccer pitch at Parc Laviolette, but it's owned by the municipality and they'd need a scheme similar to Halifax to get them to part with that land. 

I've ranted here before about why the CanPL should have a Québec team at launch (media reach, actually being 'canadian', etc...), and the idea of more than one team appeals to me greatly. There are 8-million people in Québec alone, and another 2-million Francophones outside of that, concentrated in areas with deep Québec media penetration. Ergo;

https://twitter.com/pennyforcliche/status/886942360214568962

I posted that to Twitter about a month ago. Many cities in Québec that are currently not being explored are larger than cities considered 'staples' by the CFL. Perhaps it's Anglo-Canada having no idea what goes on in their own country, or perhaps it's an oversimplification on my part. That being said, several Voyageurs above have stated that ticket sales will be the principal source of revenue, and French Canadians tend to support 'their' teams quite well. Even minor hockey.  

If that's the case, than Québec (Lévis), Trois-Rivières, Gatineau and Laval should all be higher priorities than otherwise stated by the league. These cities all have very low unemployment rates, high per-capita incomes and populations greater than Regina. Gatineau and Halifax are roughly the same size. Québec is larger than Winnipeg. 

Even if modular or pop-up stadiums need to be constructed (like Halifax), Québec has infrastructure to do so. Looking at parks in Gatineau for example, Parc Ernest-Gaboury already has three soccer fields and minor seating (couple hundred, tops). It's also centrally located.

28 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

I've ranted here before about why the CanPL should have a Québec team at launch (media reach, actually being 'canadian', etc...), and the idea of more than one team appeals to me greatly. There are 8-million people in Québec alone, and another 2-million Francophones outside of that, concentrated in areas with deep Québec media penetration. Ergo;

https://twitter.com/pennyforcliche/status/886942360214568962

I posted that to Twitter about a month ago. Many cities in Québec that are currently not being explored are larger than cities considered 'staples' by the CFL. Perhaps it's Anglo-Canada having no idea what goes on in their own country, or perhaps it's an oversimplification on my part. That being said, several Voyageurs above have stated that ticket sales will be the principal source of revenue, and French Canadians tend to support 'their' teams quite well. Even minor hockey.  

If that's the case, than Québec (Lévis), Trois-Rivières, Gatineau and Laval should all be higher priorities than otherwise stated by the league. These cities all have very low unemployment rates, high per-capita incomes and populations greater than Regina. Gatineau and Halifax are roughly the same size. Québec is larger than Winnipeg. 

Even if modular or pop-up stadiums need to be constructed (like Halifax), Québec has infrastructure to do so. Looking at parks in Gatineau for example, Parc Ernest-Gaboury already has three soccer fields and minor seating (couple hundred, tops). It's also centrally located.

It's probably more about available owners than anything. CPL has been trying to get enough teams to launch for years, if there's a group willing and ready to go I'm sure they'd happily take them. 

We still don't know what the majority of the "expressions of interests" put there are, I'd sit tight before jumping into worrying that Quebec is being passed over 

24 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

It's probably more about available owners than anything. CPL has been trying to get enough teams to launch for years, if there's a group willing and ready to go I'm sure they'd happily take them. 

We still don't know what the majority of the "expressions of interests" put there are, I'd sit tight before jumping into worrying that Quebec is being passed over 

People need to understand that franchising is all about the ownership group. It's like the first, second, and third most important thing about awarding a team. We can talk about cities and stadiums all we want, but in the end the 6-8 cities in this league will be the 6-8 cities that had multimillionaires willing to invest in teams.

• 2 weeks later...