Quebec City CPL

• 3 months later...

https://twitter.com/mlsrwriters/status/954420528223145984

Looks like teams could be based in Québec, Montréal (assuming Laval, Longueuil, banlieu) and Sherbrooke are all upcoming possibilities. Literally losing it. 

These three cities, coupled with teams in very bilingual and openly francophile cities like Ottawa and possibly Moncton (and maybe Winnipeg, depending on the level of outreach to Ste-Norbert, Ste-Boniface and the Franco-Métis community) will certainly give la Première ligue canadienne a decidedly French-Canadian twist. 

If I see Acadien, Québécois, Franco-Ontarien and Franco-Manitoban flags waving in the stands during rivalry games I will lose my mind. We might finally have a sporting outlet from coast to coast that embraces what we actually are as Canadians.  

• 4 months later...

D’abord, la grosse nouvelle de la journée. La Canadian Premier League, la nouvelle ligue canadienne de soccer qui va entreprendre sa première saison en 2019, veut absolument avoir une concession à Québec. Tellement que Tom Moser, chargé du développement financier de la ligue, tentait hier de joindre Marcel Aubut pour l’inviter dans l’aventure.

En plus, Moser a discuté avec Alain April, copropriétaire du Bonne Entente à Québec pour savoir si le groupe d’hommes d’affaires œuvrant avec Jacques Tanguay pourrait être intéressé par l’investissement.

La Canadian Premier League a des équipes à Victoria, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Halifax, Calgary, York dans la région de Toronto, et Winnipeg. Mais Tom Moser vient tout juste de recevoir le mandat d’implanter deux équipes au Québec.

« La ville de Québec est notre objectif premier. C’est la capitale et en plus, on sait que c’est un excellent marché pour le sport », a expliqué Moser.

La CPL songe également à sonder le marché de Sherbrooke, mais un groupe de Saguenay serait également intéressé.

Les équipes vont être formées à 80 % de joueurs canadiens. Les coachs et les dirigeants devront être canadiens. Une entente commerciale a déjà été signée avec les équipes masculine et féminine olympiques.

Le coût de la concession est de 3 millions $. L’équivalent d’une équipe de la Ligue de hockey junior majeur du Québec. On estime avoir besoin d’environ 6000 spectateurs pour faire ses frais. Sans parler des revenus potentiels de télé et de radio.

Source: http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2018/06/11/on-veut-quebec-dans-la-canadian-premier-league

So to summarize and add my own bits, they have just now commissioned the head of financial development for the league to explore getting TWO clubs in Québec. 

He went to speak to Marcel Aubut (who is former Nordiques CEO and was head of the Canadian Olympic committee), then to Alain April who owns the Chateau Bonne Entente, and to Jacques Tanguay of the furniture empire, who was also involved in Québec junior hockey

They first think they should try for Québec City because it is a strong sports market and is the capital. Then they mention that Sherbrooke would be the other option, although Saugenay also came up. Reiterate that the cost of a franchise is 3 million and that with 6000 fans you could make it work financially, for a league with 80% Canadian players and all-Canadian coaching and staff.

The article is kind of left hanging, but at least it confirms a vision about where the league wants to expand as a priority.

On 9/27/2017 at 9:56 AM, shermanator said:

If Quebec City gets a CPL club, that is #1 on my list for away trips (excluding the cities I can viably drive to in a day or a weekend).

Even though I was just there for the second time in October, an away match would give me an excuse to go back.  I highly recommend it.

Edited by SuperCanuck

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jeremy Filosa is a journalist from the 98.5 Radio station

According to him, Quebec will have a team within 2 years although he thinks that Montreal could make a move for Quebec as well

Here he says that according to what he knows, Quebec is a hot topic and that CPL wants in but... (would not sat what the "but" means)

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Jeremy Filosa is a journalist from the 98.5 Radio station

According to him, Quebec will have a team within 2 years although he thinks that Montreal could make a move for Quebec as well

Not sure a team in Montreal right away would be a good idea. QC first

8 minutes ago, Ansem said:

He meant that Impact could try to land Impact II in Quebec... They wouldn't have it. 

Ah, my mistake. I'm not sure how that'd go should the Impact move in first. Would people in Quebec City support a Montreal farm team or a CPL club? I'd like to think CPL.

2 hours ago, Shakmur said:

Personally, I dont think the CanPL is a place for reserve teams. If we get a D2 someday, then maybe i'd think of bringing Canadian MLS reserve teams there instead of having them in the USL D3.

CPL has already said they don't want to be affiliated in any way with MLS teams. A Division 1 league by definition can't serve as a farm for another, thus it wouldn't be D1.

Edited by tyler453

On 1/19/2018 at 8:51 PM, ChrisinOrleans said:

If I see Acadien, Québécois, Franco-Ontarien and Franco-Manitoban flags waving in the stands during rivalry games I will lose my mind. We might finally have a sporting outlet from coast to coast that embraces what we actually are as Canadians.  

Hey, we've got Acadien flags in Halifax, and plan on having Acadien scarves and such too. Tifos for National Acadien Day, etc.

54 minutes ago, tyler453 said:

CPL has already said they don't want to be affiliated in any way with MLS teams. A Division 1 league by definition can't serve as a farm for another, thus it wouldn't be D1.

You can be an affiliate without being a farm team.

Chelsea has agreements with LA Galaxy, PSV Eindhoven, and Vitesse. Stoke has one with Orlando as well. Sunderland with DC United, and Tottenham with San Jose.

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Interesting that Impact II gets a mention. Wonder if they are one of the four so far undisclosed applicants for USL D3 on the sanctioning submission to the USSF.

I doubt Filosa is doing anything else but speculating. But I do hope IMFC revive their reserve team, having an academy without a reserve team for them to go to once they graduate is just ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...