Quebec City CPL

19 hours ago, toontownman said:

If we can get Saskatoon, Kelowna, Quebec and Windsor up and running and Edmonton back for 2026 that would be immense. Not impossible either. We would also need another team to even out! Moncton or St. Johns? 

hoping the Ryan Reynolds series might motivate some business owners in these markets 

On 12/3/2022 at 7:37 PM, Bison44 said:

I dont know if we'll ever even out, we are big around the center eh..lopsided if you will.  But some concrete news abut Quebec is great....now on to that stadium approval and shovels in the ground for Saskatoon!!!  

I think he meant an even number of teams. We are at 8 at the moment and he listed off 5 potential new teams. He wasn't talking about a geographical evenness (I assume that's what you are talking about).

Edited by Kent
"why" was supposed to be "what".

13 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

On the more frivolous side of things, I really hope any future Quebec City CanPL team plays in all baby blue strip with red trim, a la the Nordiques.

Incomes the Sheikh with his endless money to add another club to his conglomerate.

Quebec City FC rises to take over province! 

I would love for City Football Group to invest in the CPL but only in two cities. Quebec City or Toronto. 

EDIT:

And there you have it. A new member of the CFG. 
image.thumb.png.a0bc78db8d7b3e63f22f3bf8d21e297d.png

Edited by Shway

• 2 weeks later...

CFG would be a wealthy investor that, I'm sure, would be enthusiastically welcomed into the CanPL fold if they wanted to invest in QC. If we're restricting ourselves based on colour scheme, and I'm okay with that, perhaps Marseille might want to expand its footprint into North America. The Olympique moniker would be problematic if the IOC insisted on being dicks, though.

• 3 months later...

Can Pierre Karl Péladeau open doors for Canadian Football League expansion in Quebec City?

The above article is about the CFL and how new Alouettes billionaire owner Pierre Karl Péladeau might be able to bring CFL to Quebec City.

This is a bit of a jump, however it mentions the university PEPS Stadium (Telus Stadium) is not ideal for CFL as is. If this CFL expansion picks up do you think there is a chance that a new stadium is built somewhere in Quebec City which could host both CFL and CPL teams?

A 16,000 to 20,000-seat stadium would probably be ideal for the CFL team. With input into the design from the CPL that could also be a great setup for a Canadian premier league team. A compact 8,000 seat stand on one side with a roof from the elements and the cameras on the opposite side so it looks good on TV. Would be similar to Atletico Ottawa, only better.

5 minutes ago, Sonny Heung-min said:

A 16,000 to 20,000-seat stadium would probably be ideal for the CFL team. With input into the design from the CPL that could also be a great setup for a Canadian premier league team. A compact 8,000 seat stand on one side with a roof from the elements and the cameras on the opposite side so it looks good on TV. Would be similar to Atletico Ottawa, only better.

Probably closer to 25 000 but, yes, something like Ottawa has could work.  Obviously an expandable 5000 seat soccer specific stadium would be the gold standard but that's very unlikely.

2 hours ago, Sonny Heung-min said:

Can Pierre Karl Péladeau open doors for Canadian Football League expansion in Quebec City?

The above article is about the CFL and how new Alouettes billionaire owner Pierre Karl Péladeau might be able to bring CFL to Quebec City.

This is a bit of a jump, however it mentions the university PEPS Stadium (Telus Stadium) is not ideal for CFL as is. If this CFL expansion picks up do you think there is a chance that a new stadium is built somewhere in Quebec City which could host both CFL and CPL teams?

A CFL and CPL team would be AMAZING for both leagues.

I believe a 12 team CFL League and 14 team CPL league (maybe 16 ??) Would spark alot of interest for 2 Truly Canadian only leagues.

I still think Lamport stadium is perfect for the Argonauts, just need to put additional seats in the endzones. 
I think a stadium of that size would be perfect with adjustable endzone seats on both ends.  

The key is planning for it properly, and not doing what TFC/Argos do with their endzones.

• 4 months later...

CANAC Stadium is in a great location within Quebec. Has had synthetic turf since 2016, which is probably due a refresh and also allows for easy temporary conversion to Soccer. Capacity – 4,300, but that could be increased easily with adjustments to a soccer set-up to ~5,000-6,000. 

Currently used by the Québec Capitales who compete at similar times to CPL. However a look at their schedule show every other weekend the stadium is available:

Calendrier2023_Imprimable-791x1024.png

Operated by the City of Quebec, so should be able to get good rental rates. Although playing in a baseball stadium isn't ideal, I think this one has the right set up for Soccer to work for ~5ish years. If the new Quebec team is popular (e.g. Halifax) then there would be in a much better position to get a soccer stadium built.

Current dimensions can soo nearly fit a full-sized soccer pitch in. They would just have to add a wee corner at the tree line. They could potentially add seating there too:

image.thumb.png.0c895e1375f014f8573b3f8d5bd77dff.png

Can't see it unless they are 1st tenant and control the venue like MLSE does with BMO Field. Otherwise, the NYCFC experiment is exactly why the league would stay away from this, besides I heard that for Quebec City the league want a new venue.

If you look up the Canac Stadium on Google Map, it is next to a very large parking lot, tennis courts, and a municipal police station that sits in the middle of its lot. The City should do a proper exercise to better plan that area and make adjustments. The police station could be rebuild so that it is positioned closer to the street with underground parking. The parking lot could be made smaller. That way, you could fit a soccer stadium.

image.thumb.png.0c895e1375f014f8573b3f8d

The sight lines in that configuration would range from horrendous to less than ideal. A lot of baseball stadiums are designed to also be compatible with a gridiron or soccer field but that isn't one of them, unfortuately. Think it's the U-sports stadium that might be doable in Quebec City if the university involved would agree to an unmarked fieldturf installation and ideally remove the track in a York Lions sort of way:

laval-stadium.jpg

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

image.thumb.png.0c895e1375f014f8573b3f8d

The sight lines in that configuration would range from horrendous to less than ideal. A lot of baseball stadiums are designed to also be compatible with a gridiron or soccer field but that isn't one of them, unfortuately. Think it's the U-sports stadium that might be doable in Quebec City if the university involved would agree to an unmarked fieldturf installation and ideally remove the track in a York Lions sort of way:

laval-stadium.jpg

The owner of the U-sport team won't allow the use of that stadium, and the changes needed to make that stadium work for CPL seem too great, in my opinion. Even the CFL which is desperate to expand doesn't want to put a franchise there.

Canac with some minor (cheap) adjustments could make for a good fan-viewing experience. Thinking about it, orientating the pitch the other way and adding a new stand on the North-west side would be better.

image.thumb.png.21037635f6abbaee7a970a46f44dc1ff.png

Can add a raised platform for Onesoccer cameras in the area in purple. Would look good on TV and allow for ~6000 seats with good views. If demand was good enough, they could look to expand the stadium even more with seats behind the goal on South-west side.

Edited by Sonny Heung-min