lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The budgets that have been rumoured are minor relative to MLS. Arguably, it's easier to make that work in a smaller city that doesn't expect its sports teams to be in the top tier. In K/W, for example, a pro soccer team with an overall budget of around $2 million definitely wouldn't look out of place next to the Rangers of the OHL, which is why the fan group are viewed as meriting a picture on the front page of the local daily newspaper. In Edmonton, FC Edmonton doesn't really stack up against the Oilers and Eskimos in terms of being seen as an equal, which makes it more difficult to build up media and spectator interest.

Oh, I completely agree. I might've phrased it a little odd. What I meant was that all around the world, soccer leagues involve teams from smaller towns without the league having the stigma of being seeing as irrelevant. 

I think the main reason why having smaller cities represented in top leagues doesn't make the league feel minor league around the world, but it does here, is that around the world they are dealing with promotion and relegation. That means that whoever is in the top division, deserve to be in the top division. Being a small city just maybe makes it a bigger accomplishment, rather than cheapening the league.

In Canada and USA we don't have promotion and relegation (at least in any leagues I'm aware of), and we have a culture of big leagues and minor leagues, with big cities in the big leagues, and smaller cities in minor leagues. I'm hoping that if CPL does in fact get smaller cities that it can get beyond the minor league stigma due to soccer fans' familiarity with leagues around the world and the idea of small and big cities competing at the top level together. It will definitely be a challenge though.

I always got the feeling that the smaller cities would be in CPL's second tier, at least that's how I understood it.

Edited by MtlMario

Just now, mpg_29 said:

So is CPL going to set up it's own USL right off the bat?

This is based on Paul Beirne talking about divisions being formed eventually, which probably was simply a reference to regional east and west conferences, if they can get the numbers up to eight or more after their planned soft launch with as few as five or six. I haven't seen any suggestion that smaller markets like Halifax, K/W and Saskatoon would be placed in a lower division than Hamilton and Winnipeg.

Noticed this comment from the Sudbury Star in an article announcing Sudbury's new NBL Canada club. Doesn't mean anything really. Also, since comparisons of a domestic league to NBL Canada have been made in the past (by myself specifically), I think it's good to know the league is expanding and not contracting going into season 7:

http://www.thesudburystar.com/2017/05/09/sudbury-wolves-sports-and-entertainment-to-bring-nbl-canada-expansion-franchise-to-nickel-city

My daughter is at LU, my niece is a strong player vying to make the Canadian team, so basketball is in my blood, while my brothers John and Paul played varsity football, and my other brother, Rob, played varsity soccer," he said.

So could a soccer team be next? Zulich just raised an eyebrow and smiled, then returned to the basketball team.

43 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Noticed this comment from the Sudbury Star in an article announcing Sudbury's new NBL Canada club. Doesn't mean anything really.

Sudbury in the CPL seems extremely unlikely. A Sudbury club in League1 Ontario on the other hand would be a great development and very likely to go through given L1O's stated intention of focusing on expansion outside the GTA.

Footy Soldiers podcast is becoming a must listen as they always drop 1 or 2 nuggets related to the CPL.

On the latest they mentioned that even though this probably wasn't supposed to be made public, that Tom Fath (owner of FC Edmonton) was at the Whistler meetings. They go on to speculate that he may be warming up to the idea of joining the CPL.

The fact he was at the Whistler meetings is very interesting.

49 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Footy Soldiers podcast is becoming a must listen as they always drop 1 or 2 nuggets related to the CPL.

On the latest they mentioned that even though this probably wasn't supposed to be made public, that Tom Fath (owner of FC Edmonton) was at the Whistler meetings.

Is that really such a surprising revelation?  It was the CSA's AGM after all...

Edited by Gopherbashi

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

Is that really such a surprising revelation?  It was the CSA's AGM after all...

Give it a listen, they sort of imply it is. Who am I to know?

Meanwhile in Hamilton

http://3downnation.com/2017/06/01/city-ticats-clash-pro-soccer-rights-tim-hortons-field/

...The Cats were originally granted exclusive rights – and a deadline – to bring a pro team to Hamilton under a stadium lease agreement with the city. The deadline was repeatedly extended partly due to field construction delays.

But the city believes those rights expired long before the announced new team, said motion author Coun. Judi Partridge – who added city councillors have heard nothing other than “media reports” about the proposed Canadian Premier League and a Hamilton team announced last month.

“Nothing has been brought to council on this. We’ve had no updates (from the team). There is no signed contract or agreement, ” Partridge said. “Rather than sitting back and waiting to see if something happens, I feel as a city we need to take leadership role and put the call out.”...

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

“Nothing has been brought to council on this. We’ve had no updates (from the team). There is no signed contract or agreement, ” Partridge said. “Rather than sitting back and waiting to see if something happens, I feel as a city we need to take leadership role and put the call out.”...

Or just, you know, take a leadership role by contacting the people just down the street from you in the TiCats organization and stop using this as an excuse to grandstand.

6 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Or just, you know, take a leadership role by contacting the people just down the street from you in the TiCats organization and stop using this as an excuse to grandstand.

Think there are legal disputes between the Ticats and the city council related to the stadium? Will be interesting to see what unfolds. What happens to CPL if TFC 2 move in and secure the soccer rights, because the local councillors are acting like a bunch of twelve year olds? :)  It will no doubt all get sorted out, but probably not before the Ticats have had to concede something to the local politicians that they didn't want to.

22 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think there are legal disputes between the Ticats and the city council related to the stadium? Will be interesting to see what unfolds. What happens to CPL if TFC 2 move in and secure the soccer rights, because the local councillors are acting like a bunch of twelve year olds? :)  It will no doubt all get sorted out, but probably not before the Ticats have had to concede something to the local politicians that they didn't want to.

Yes, all a possibility. All bets are potentially off when egos get in the way (regardless of which side those egos are on). 

Sounds like any team taking the city up on their expression of interest will find it tough sledding with the CSA at least - http://www.thespec.com/news-story/7350073-canada-soccer-won-t-support-alternative-to-ticats-owned-pro-team

As a born and raised hamiltonian who has since left, this is classic hamilton city hall kerfuffle. They are the kings of getting in their own way when it comes to progress in that city.

1 hour ago, rob.notenboom said:

Yes, all a possibility. All bets are potentially off when egos get in the way (regardless of which side those egos are on). 

Sounds like any team taking the city up on their expression of interest will find it tough sledding with the CSA at least - http://www.thespec.com/news-story/7350073-canada-soccer-won-t-support-alternative-to-ticats-owned-pro-team

So the CSA would need to re-sanction TFC 2 if they moved to Hamilton? If that's the case, nothing to worry about. However, I'd love to see MLSE attempt some foolish bull **** here. It will further enhance their monopolistic, anti competition, anti-sport image and alienate Canadian soccer fans like never before. 

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

So the CSA would need to re-sanction TFC 2 if they moved to Hamilton? If that's the case, nothing to worry about. However, I'd love to see MLSE attempt some foolish bull **** here. It will further enhance their monopolistic, anti competition, anti-sport image and alienate Canadian soccer fans like never before. 

Lol why the **** would MLSE waiste their time with Hamilton come on please give me a break! I can't stop laughing, hate MLSE all you want but don't worry MLSE have no interest here, give it a break man you look foolish with this crap, please!

34 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Lol why the **** would MLSE waiste their time with Hamilton come on please give me a break! I can't stop laughing, hate MLSE all you want but don't worry MLSE have no interest here, give it a break man you look foolish with this crap, please!

http://m.thespec.com/news-story/4146864-toronto-team-keen-to-play-soccer-at-new-hortons-field

Man you look foolish ;)

44 minutes ago, 1996 said:

As I posted in the stadium thread it would be a good way to kill competition no matter how much it costs, they are playing in front of sparse crowds anyway, why not move them and protect the TFC fanbase?

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

image.jpeg