CPL new teams speculation

Footy Soldiers podcast is becoming a must listen as they always drop 1 or 2 nuggets related to the CPL.

On the latest they mentioned that even though this probably wasn't supposed to be made public, that Tom Fath (owner of FC Edmonton) was at the Whistler meetings. They go on to speculate that he may be warming up to the idea of joining the CPL.

The fact he was at the Whistler meetings is very interesting.

49 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Footy Soldiers podcast is becoming a must listen as they always drop 1 or 2 nuggets related to the CPL.

On the latest they mentioned that even though this probably wasn't supposed to be made public, that Tom Fath (owner of FC Edmonton) was at the Whistler meetings.

Is that really such a surprising revelation?  It was the CSA's AGM after all...

Edited by Gopherbashi

Meanwhile in Hamilton

http://3downnation.com/2017/06/01/city-ticats-clash-pro-soccer-rights-tim-hortons-field/

...The Cats were originally granted exclusive rights – and a deadline – to bring a pro team to Hamilton under a stadium lease agreement with the city. The deadline was repeatedly extended partly due to field construction delays.

But the city believes those rights expired long before the announced new team, said motion author Coun. Judi Partridge – who added city councillors have heard nothing other than “media reports” about the proposed Canadian Premier League and a Hamilton team announced last month.

“Nothing has been brought to council on this. We’ve had no updates (from the team). There is no signed contract or agreement, ” Partridge said. “Rather than sitting back and waiting to see if something happens, I feel as a city we need to take leadership role and put the call out.”...

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

“Nothing has been brought to council on this. We’ve had no updates (from the team). There is no signed contract or agreement, ” Partridge said. “Rather than sitting back and waiting to see if something happens, I feel as a city we need to take leadership role and put the call out.”...

Or just, you know, take a leadership role by contacting the people just down the street from you in the TiCats organization and stop using this as an excuse to grandstand.

6 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Or just, you know, take a leadership role by contacting the people just down the street from you in the TiCats organization and stop using this as an excuse to grandstand.

Think there are legal disputes between the Ticats and the city council related to the stadium? Will be interesting to see what unfolds. What happens to CPL if TFC 2 move in and secure the soccer rights, because the local councillors are acting like a bunch of twelve year olds? :)  It will no doubt all get sorted out, but probably not before the Ticats have had to concede something to the local politicians that they didn't want to.

22 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think there are legal disputes between the Ticats and the city council related to the stadium? Will be interesting to see what unfolds. What happens to CPL if TFC 2 move in and secure the soccer rights, because the local councillors are acting like a bunch of twelve year olds? :)  It will no doubt all get sorted out, but probably not before the Ticats have had to concede something to the local politicians that they didn't want to.

Yes, all a possibility. All bets are potentially off when egos get in the way (regardless of which side those egos are on). 

Sounds like any team taking the city up on their expression of interest will find it tough sledding with the CSA at least - http://www.thespec.com/news-story/7350073-canada-soccer-won-t-support-alternative-to-ticats-owned-pro-team

1 hour ago, rob.notenboom said:

Yes, all a possibility. All bets are potentially off when egos get in the way (regardless of which side those egos are on). 

Sounds like any team taking the city up on their expression of interest will find it tough sledding with the CSA at least - http://www.thespec.com/news-story/7350073-canada-soccer-won-t-support-alternative-to-ticats-owned-pro-team

So the CSA would need to re-sanction TFC 2 if they moved to Hamilton? If that's the case, nothing to worry about. However, I'd love to see MLSE attempt some foolish bull shit here. It will further enhance their monopolistic, anti competition, anti-sport image and alienate Canadian soccer fans like never before. 

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

So the CSA would need to re-sanction TFC 2 if they moved to Hamilton? If that's the case, nothing to worry about. However, I'd love to see MLSE attempt some foolish bull shit here. It will further enhance their monopolistic, anti competition, anti-sport image and alienate Canadian soccer fans like never before. 

Lol why the fuck would MLSE waiste their time with Hamilton come on please give me a break! I can't stop laughing, hate MLSE all you want but don't worry MLSE have no interest here, give it a break man you look foolish with this crap, please!

34 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Lol why the fuck would MLSE waiste their time with Hamilton come on please give me a break! I can't stop laughing, hate MLSE all you want but don't worry MLSE have no interest here, give it a break man you look foolish with this crap, please!

http://m.thespec.com/news-story/4146864-toronto-team-keen-to-play-soccer-at-new-hortons-field

Man you look foolish ;)

44 minutes ago, 1996 said:

As I posted in the stadium thread it would be a good way to kill competition no matter how much it costs, they are playing in front of sparse crowds anyway, why not move them and protect the TFC fanbase?

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

That's from 2013. It's possible TFC might want to revisit that, but by no means definite at this stage. The Ticats seem to think they have done what needs to be done to secure the exclusive soccer rights and the favourable rental terms that went with it, while city officials see it otherwise. Think the main danger for CPL at this point more than the TFC 2 scenario is that the lease and its terms becomes tied up in the courts, if the Ticats seek to try to enforce the original agreement against the wishes of the city council.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That's from 2013. It's possible TFC might want to revisit that, but by no means definite at this stage. The Ticats seem to think they have done what needs to be done to secure the exclusive soccer rights and the favourable rental terms that went with it, while city officials see it otherwise. Think the main danger for CPL at this point more than the TFC 2 scenario is that the lease and its terms becomes tied up in the courts, if the Ticats seek to try to enforce the original agreement against the wishes of the city council.

I don't think MLSE sweeping into Hamilton now is a serious threat (especially considering the CSA said they aren't interested in sanctioning any other teams in Hamilton), just giving @1996 some context

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I don't think MLSE sweeping into Hamilton now is a serious threat (especially considering the CSA said they aren't interested in sanctioning any other teams in Hamilton), just giving @1996 some context

Thanks maybe before but not anymore, Hamilton is a city all on its own , I could see MLSE trying to put a team in the GTA but not Hamilton anymore , MLSE ain't touching Hamilton no purpose.

Guys, that 2013 article was about the Lynx, not about MLSE. And how the Lynx president would have loved to been a TFC affiliate. I admire you trying to put the commenter down, but the point is incorrect, it seems to me it has nothing to do with MLSE coming into Hamilton back in 2013.

It was about the Lynx wanting to go back from USL PDL into USL, which they were a member of previously, was it not? And the Lynx have since become the Oakville Blue Devils in L1O.

All this because of some silly posturing by a Hamilton councillor who clearly has no idea what he's talking about. Unless he's found a way around the CSA USL moratorium lol

10 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Guys, that 2013 article was about the Lynx, not about MLSE. And how the Lynx president would have loved to been a TFC affiliate. I admire you trying to put the commenter down, but the point is incorrect, it seems to me it has nothing to do with MLSE coming into Hamilton back in 2013.

It was about the Lynx wanting to go back from USL PDL into USL, which they were a member of previously, was it not? And the Lynx have since become the Oakville Blue Devils in L1O.

All this because of some silly posturing by a Hamilton councillor who clearly has no idea what he's talking about. Unless he's found a way around the CSA USL moratorium lol

Larson's original article seems inaccessible, but TFC was involved in the whole plan. It wasn't the Lynx just making a move and hoping TFC would form an affiliation.

Cochrane said, "The plan would have the Hamilton franchise play in the USL PRO division and become the developmental team for Toronto FC's MLS team -with significant technical, marketing, sponsorship and financial assistance from Toronto FC"

http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/8/15/4624918/usl-pro-hamilton-toronto-fc-lynx-partnership-tim-hortons-field

The part I find more interesting is the fact that the CSA was in support of the plan at the time. 2013 was the same time that one of the early articles with Montagliani and Young talking about a Canadian division/league popped up.

Edited by Complete Homer

10 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Larson's original article seems inaccessible, but TFC was involved in the whole plan. It wasn't the Lynx just making a move and hoping TFC would form an affiliation.

Cochrane said, "The plan would have the Hamilton franchise play in the USL PRO division and become the developmental team for Toronto FC's MLS team -with significant technical, marketing, sponsorship and financial assistance from Toronto FC"

http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/8/15/4624918/usl-pro-hamilton-toronto-fc-lynx-partnership-tim-hortons-field

The part I find more interesting is the fact that the CSA was in support of the plan at the time. 2013 was the same time that one of the early articles with Montagliani and Young talking about a Canadian division/league popped up.

That's a fantastic article, and I totally stand corrected then on MLSE's intention to move to Hamilton, I didn't follow Waking the Red or anything like that back in 2013 :) Have a better understanding of all this historical context cuz of this article, thanks for sharing.

So really, in 2013, it was really the Ti-Cats against the world, eh? Do I correctly remember that the Ti-Cats were very close to landing a NASL team in summer 2015, but losing out, or conceding, to Puerto Rico?

Just now, ironcub14 said:

That's a fantastic article, and I totally stand corrected then on MLSE's intention to move to Hamilton, I didn't follow Waking the Red or anything like that back in 2013 :) Have a better understanding of all this historical context cuz of this article, thanks for sharing.

So really, in 2013, it was really the Ti-Cats against the world, eh? Do I correctly remember that the Ti-Cats were very close to landing a NASL team in summer 2015, but losing out, or conceding, to Puerto Rico?

I'm guessing in 2013 it was likely too early to pass up a new pro team based on CPL musings. Plus I bet it could have been argued that a TFC farm team in the tird tier wouldn't completely interfere with a proper first team in NASL