CPL new teams speculation

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Will be interesting to see if there is any ethnic angle to any of these groups.

yeah, wasn't there a rumor of a scottish team interested in getting involved at one point? was it celtic?

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think that was just speculation on here when there was a rumour about a top European club being interested given they had talked seriously about NASL expansion previously.

It was actually backed up by Tannenwald (a reasonably large and reliable American reporter) that Celtic, previously interested in NASL, had at least cast an eye on CPL as a route for their aspirations for a NA foothold, but that was as far as the story had gone. If be surprised if it really suited their interests, as I'm sure accessing the NA market is really about accessing the American market 

The rumour from Totera/Rollins of a big euro club being interested was apparently separate. Milton said it was specifically an EPL club, and Rollins said they were interested in "non-Toronto Ontario market", which most have speculated to be a KW connection. 

33 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Essentially, that is it. The key for me is the fact that a franchise can be moved. The whole thing is utterly ridiculous. Did Dale Hawerchuk ever play for the Winnipeg Jets? His playing record is now part of the Phoenix franchise!!

I believe he was at one time on the Jets, or at least that's what my NHL 94 Sega Genises cartridge tells me whenever I boot it up. I call him crapchuk because the developers unfortunately made him slow as shit in that game...but Selanne makes up for his molasses like speed.

Edited by Macksam

A couple interesting tidbits at the very end of the last Footysoldiers podcast...

1. Lots of praise for Belan, did anyone else think they were implying he was involved in the Saskatchewan ownership? 

2. They said they knew of "another soccer guy" involved in ownership, but didn't name names. I wonder who they are referring,  maybe just Barry MacLean. 

2 hours ago, Blackdude said:

So CanPL representatives will meet with a potential Quebec City investor. 

Jacques Tanguay is rumored to be a potential investor. Not sure what's his net worth but I doubt he's on is own.

His family is credited for founding the Rimouski Oceanic QJMHL team. He used to own the QJMHL Quebec City Ramparts but he sold it to Quebecor media.

Hoping Quebecor is in on this. Pierre Karl Peladeau is a billionaire

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

A couple interesting tidbits at the very end of the last Footysoldiers podcast...

1. Lots of praise for Belan, did anyone else think they were implying he was involved in the Saskatchewan ownership? 

That was how I heard it too. 

39 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Jacques Tanguay is rumored to be a potential investor. Not sure what's his net worth but I doubt he's on is own.

His family is credited for founding the Rimouski Oceanic QJMHL team. He used to own the QJMHL Quebec City Ramparts but he sold it to Quebecor media.

Some more background on Tanguay:  http://www.newsweek.com/2014/11/14/canadas-laval-university-shows-how-do-football-right-279774.html

46 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Out of curiosity where'd you see that? I missed it 

So at this point the markets are something like:

in for sure: Hamilton, Winnipeg 

in if they build a stadium: Halifax 

rumors of serious interest: KW, Toronto, Quebec City, trois riveiere, somewhere in Saskatchewan 

guy at the provincial association who thinks it's a nifty idea: Moncton

am I missing anything?

I seriously doubt that we would be hearing about the interest from the Trois Rivieres Attak at the moment if the Calgary Stampeders and Ottawa Fury were solidly on board as had been rumoured and the NASL had folded leaving FC Edmonton with no other option than to join. At that point add in Quebec City and one of the three Toronto groups et voila! It's a massive positive that there are groups out there in smaller markets like Saskatoon wanting to launch pro soccer teams, but it's not so obvious how they fit in comfortably with 6,000 crowds as the break even and where they would play their games on a timeline of Fall 2018 or Spring 2019 given they haven't made the preparations that Halifax have on a pop-up. Still more questions than answers on all of this, but maybe things will become a bit clearer in a few months time.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I seriously doubt that we would be hearing about the interest from the Trois Rivieres Attak at the moment if the Calgary Stampeders and Ottawa Fury were solidly on board as had been rumoured and the NASL had folded leaving FC Edmonton with no other option than to join. At that point add in Quebec City and one of the three Toronto groups et voila! It's a massive positive that there are groups out there in smaller markets like Saskatoon wanting to launch pro soccer teams, but it's not so obvious how they fit in comfortably with 6,000 crowds as the break even and where they would play their games on a timeline of Fall 2018 or Spring 2019 given they haven't made the preparations that Halifax have on a pop-up. Still more questions than answers on all of this, but maybe things will become a bit clearer in a few months time.

I don't think think the fact that they are rumoured to be listening to group X or group Y is evidence that group Z is out. Beirne is preaching the idea of getting into markets both big and small, it's entirely possible the league won't have strict parity and allow smaller markets to enter at lower spending levels. 

Who knows, but it's too early to make sweeping statement about who is and who isn't clearly involved

2 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

...it's entirely possible the league won't have strict parity and allow smaller markets to enter at lower spending levels....

It certainly looks like that could be the plan and the two founding franchises would stand to gain from that in terms of their chance of winning championships, but if there is one lesson to be learned from the original CSL it is that people in the smaller cities soon tire of being the Washington Generals to the dominant 86ers type franchise when there aren't decades of tradition behind a team like there is in Europe, which is why leagues like MLS introduced revenue sharing and a cap that everybody has to comply to as a minimum as well as a maximum.

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It certainly looks like that could be the plan and the two founding franchises would stand to gain from that in terms of their chance of winning championships, but if there is one lesson to be learned from the original CSL it is that people in the smaller cities soon tire of being the Washington Generals to the dominant 86ers type franchise when there aren't decades of tradition behind a team like there is in Europe, which is why leagues like MLS introduced revenue sharing and a cap that everybody has to comply to as a minimum as well as a maximum.

Bob Young's comments make me think that the "hybrid model" will involve significant but not total revenue sharing alongside a cap floor/ceiling, vs the MLS "cap as a budget" type setup

16 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That is why I resist some of the more Euro-centric ideas for CPL.  I suspect (with little evidence) that CPL is far more likely to succeed if built on a platform that looks a lot like MLS.  There may be an argument for a slightly decentralized league role and a bit more autonomy for teams/owners, but the revenue sharing of MLS has been a kind of insurance for some of the markets that have struggled, and it has led to a level of stability that might not have materialized otherwise. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I don't think think the fact that they are rumoured to be listening to group X or group Y is evidence that group Z is out. Beirne is preaching the idea of getting into markets both big and small, it's entirely possible the league won't have strict parity and allow smaller markets to enter at lower spending levels. 

Who knows, but it's too early to make sweeping statement about who is and who isn't clearly involved

Let's also take into consideration that Saskatoon was also rumoured with wanting a CFL franchise a few years back.  Getting 6000 people is not the issue. If BBTB is concerned about the fact no news on a pop up has surfaced yet, it only takes like 2 or 3 months to construct one.