What should our gold cup lineup be?

badname22

8 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

But since Hamilton graduated up to the senior team he has 4 goals in 17 games in MLS, most of which (the games that is) have been late sub appearances - very few starts so far. His goal scoring rate per MLS minutes of play is actually pretty decent. While I'm not questioning the decision to not include him on the 40 man roster because of the abundance of older & more experienced players, surely that's the more relevant stat in terms of his ability to play at the MLS level.

He has 4 goals in 20 games in all competitions on TFC, and 12 goals in 62 appearances at the pro level. Goal/90 stats would be better, but sub appearances do let him run at tired defenders. The fact is the stats aren't everything. The question is is he better than the strikers that are getting minutes in front of him? If he's not in the top 3 he needs a move. Especially since Akinola is on the horizon.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

He has 4 goals in 20 games in all competitions on TFC, and 12 goals in 62 appearances at the pro level. Goal/90 stats would be better, but sub appearances do let him run at tired defenders. The fact is the stats aren't everything. The question is is he better than the strikers that are getting minutes in front of him? If he's not in the top 3 he needs a move. Especially since Akinola is on the horizon.

I agree that stats aren't everything but if you're going to bring them up we might as well make sure we have the relevant and correct ones. If you are going to mention all competitions for the senior club then you need to add two more goals and 6 more games to your stats for the Voyageur Cup matches. Another stat is that he just turned 21 a couple of months ago and Giovinco and Ricketts are 30 and aren't going to be around forever (esp the former) while Akinola is some ways away even if he ever does graduate to the top level - at best it's premature to suggest he has no future at TFC.

9 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Where is Akinola these days? I believe he played for TFC II a bit last year, but I don't see him on their roster this year or on the TFC III roster in L1O. I even checked the rosters on the TFC website for "U-21 Elite", "U-21 Provincial", and "U-16". I found a Tom Akinola, but no Ayo Akinola.

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I agree that stats aren't everything but if you're going to bring them up we might as well make sure we have the relevant and correct ones. If you are going to mention all competitions for the senior club then you need to add two more goals and 6 more games to your stats for the Voyageur Cup matches. Another stat is that he just turned 21 a couple of months ago and Giovinco and Ricketts are 30 and aren't going to be around forever (esp the former) while Akinola is some ways away even if he ever does graduate to the top level - at best it's premature to suggest he has no future at TFC.

Why are you assuming Ricketts will bw around longer than Giovinco

5 hours ago, Kent said:

Where is Akinola these days? I believe he played for TFC II a bit last year, but I don't see him on their roster this year or on the TFC III roster in L1O. I even checked the rosters on the TFC website for "U-21 Elite", "U-21 Provincial", and "U-16". I found a Tom Akinola, but no Ayo Akinola.

I believe that TFC released him to the US residency program in Florida through the u17 World Cup. He would be a regular with TFCII but TFC was reportedly refusing to give him minutes until he signs a pro contract. As of right now he can sign in Europe when he turns 18, which seems like it might be Akinola's plan.

Akinola's stock has cooled some since Sargent's rise with the US u17s, so the situation's in flux. 

15 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I understand that Gio won't be around forever. But if TFC is to lose Gio they shouldn't replace him with Hamilton... That would be a bit of a step down for sure. When they do lose Gio they will replace him with another DP. So really the only conversation is wether or not Hamilton is a better option than Ricketts. And obviously Hamilton is better!! well... until Ricketts gets back from injury then it is more likely Ricketts again. 

On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Ngravs said:

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=tx9nx7

Subs if we're down: Cavallini for Bernier, Akindele for Aird move to a 4-3-3 and maybe very late Jackson-Hamel for Larin or maybe Edwards for De Jong and play 3-4-3 wit Edwards swinging balls in. 

If we're tied or up Teibert for Bernier, Davies for Hoilett and if it's more than two goals Haber for Larin or Osorio for Arfield 

You would put osorio In for arfield To defend?

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

The tenth anniversary of our Gold Cup semi-final runs:  hopefully we can repeat or better that performance.

Oscar Ramirez alluded that if Costa Rica beats T&T tomorrow regular players will not play a large role in the Gold Cup. With the US, Mexico, AND Costa Rica substantially weakened, combined with the best Canadian Gold Cup roster in years, I think the semis is a realistic goal.

Of course, this means we'll lose 4-0 in the opener to French Guiana.

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

Oscar Ramirez alluded that if Costa Rica beats T&T tomorrow regular players will not play a large role in the Gold Cup. With the US, Mexico, AND Costa Rica substantially weakened, combined with the best Canadian Gold Cup roster in years, I think the semis is a realistic goal.

Of course, this means we'll lose 4-0 in the opener to French Guiana.

The US won't be substantially weakened from what I saw on their 40-player squad. 

5 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

The US won't be substantially weakened from what I saw on their 40-player squad. 

Arena said he had some 1st team players on the GC roster that he might need more time with depending on how WCQ goes. Since they got 4 points he's expected to pick a very young 23 man roster. He's already hinted that players like Jesse Gonzalez, Dom Dwyer, Christian Roldan and Matt Hedges will get serious minutes.

4 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Arena said he had some 1st team players on the GC roster that he might need more time with depending on how WCQ goes. Since they got 4 points he's expected to pick a very young 23 man roster. He's already hinted that players like Jesse Gonzalez, Dom Dwyer, Christian Roldan and Matt Hedges will get serious minutes.

Most if not all of which would be regular starters for us...Sigh and cry.

21 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Most if not all of which would be regular starters for us...Sigh and cry.

The whole US second team would likely start for us, with the possible exception of Sapong/Dwyer for Larin. But they aren't the US first team, and that's what matters. The level of the US team drops dramatically at CAM and FB in particular. You are looking at the US probably starting Kelyn Rowe in place of Pulisic and Morrow/Lichaj instead of Villafana/Yedlin.

If we play them the US will still be favorites but their 2nd team is very beatable.

7 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

The whole US second team would likely start for us, with the possible exception of Sapong/Dwyer for Larin. But they aren't the US first team, and that's what matters. The level of the US team drops dramatically at CAM and FB in particular. You are looking at the US probably starting Kelyn Rowe in place of Pulisic and Morrow/Lichaj instead of Villafana/Yedlin.

If we play them the US will still be favorites but their 2nd team is very beatable.

fuck off Larins all we have. No chance dwyer or sapong starts over him whether its true or not

Which 2 CBs would be our starters? 

I assume Vitoria would be one. He had a great finish to the year in Poland.

Of the remaining CBs on the 40 man roster I would give Straith a try. Have they ever been partnered together before? If they don't play well the first game then perhaps play James the 2nd game.

Lefevre has hardly played at all this year, Jakovic is slow, and I have no idea how good Kapor is.

Definitely going to be some trial and error to see what works.

With Larin, Cavallini, Jackson-Hamel all in good club form what are the odds that Haber doesn't make this squad? Could throw Akindele in the mix there as well. If we are going to continue to play 1 up top I am not sure I can justify him with the form/talent of the other players listed above. Strange that a guy that has been consistent call up and is actually coming off a good year himself could suddenly be on the out but goes to show that our forward depth has come a long way.  

I'll try to put my 23. 

GK: Borjan, Leutwiler Crépeau 

LB: de Jong Edwards

CB: Vitoria James Jakovic Straith 

RB: Cordova, Aird 

DMF/CMF:  Piette, Bernier, Johnson, Teibert, Osorio

OMF/WMF: Arfield, Hoilett, Akindele, Davies

FW:  Larin Jackson-Hamel, Cavallini 

I think that counts for 23. I was noticing at first glance that I didn't include Osorio. I also included Edwards and Aird as LB and RB cover but that was the only way I could see us having all 3 forwards in the group and I think that if Cavallini was on the Gold Cup preliminary list, it's because he's going to play in it and I can't see myself cutting 1 of those 3.

I think those are on the close but didn't make it but I could see them be on the 23:
Ledgerwood (it depends if Zambrano rates Ledgerwood or not. Maybe he wanted to have a competition at right back to get the starting spot.)
Pasher/Adekugbe: Sure if we want a different left back. Not really sure who is better right now.
Kaye: Main reason why: He played yesterday and Oso and Akindele didn't. 
Froese: I really like what he did this year. Doubt that it's enough for him to make the 23 though.
Ricketts: I mean it all depends where he will be once Gold Cup starts.

So here are the players I didn't think would be considered unless there are injuries: Thomas, Lefèvre, Fresenga, Kapor, Bustos, Galvis, Awuah, Petrasso, Choinière, S. Jackson, Haber.

I was considering cutting Osorio in my first 23. That's the crazy thing about it. I'm wondering if it's crazy or not.

Archived