What should our gold cup lineup be?

badname22

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Blackdude said:

I could see Haber making the team, but only if Cavallini wants out. I`d be shocked that Haber makes it in the way Zambrano talks about it. And he`s not pulling Jackson or Larin for Haber. 

Now, I think Larin could be replaced by Haber. 

16 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

GK: Borjan

D: de Jong, Vitoria, Straith, Aird/Cordova

MF: Hoilett, Arfield, Johnson, Davies

S: Larin, Cavallini

Rotational players / subs:

D: Cordova, James

M: Bernier, Piette, TA, Arid, Edwards

S: AJH, Ricketts 

I've defended Straith on many occasions here but I think he is a latter day Pozniak for us:  utility guy, can fill some spots as needed, good guy to bring on in midfield to help kill off a game, but not a first choice starter at CB.

7 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I've defended Straith on many occasions here but I think he is a latter day Pozniak for us:  utility guy, can fill some spots as needed, good guy to bring on in midfield to help kill off a game, but not a first choice starter at CB.

Agreed - yet still more comfortable with Straith than James

7 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

Agreed - yet still more comfortable with Straith than James

After the Mexico game where Straith and Jakovic were hilariously outclassed by Chicharito and company I'm pretty over them both. James actually looked fine at Azteca and San Pedro Sula.

8 hours ago, jonovision said:

Maybe I'm just bad at watching soccer, but I generally fail to see what value Jakovic offers the team as a starter other than a relatively decent ability to make the simple pass. 

He doesn't make mistakes, unlike Straith and James.  Plain and simple.  

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:33 AM, jonovision said:

Maybe I'm just bad at watching soccer, but I generally fail to see what value Jakovic offers the team as a starter other than a relatively decent ability to make the simple pass. 

I don't feel comfortable with any of these guys currently in our back line pool for this tourney.  Unless OZ decides to go against his grain and decide to park a bus, I could see Borjan facing a lot of shots. 

It looks like Akindele wasn't cut according to him, but it was a deal between the CSA and FC Dallas for him to play the scrimmage on Thursday and play in MLS on Saturday. I'm guessing it could  be similar for Lefèvre, so I wouldn't be shocked if they make the 23. 

On 2017-06-17 at 11:44 PM, Blackdude said:

It looks like Akindele wasn't cut according to him, but it was a deal between the CSA and FC Dallas for him to play the scrimmage on Thursday and play in MLS on Saturday. I'm guessing it could  be similar for Lefèvre, so I wouldn't be shocked if they make the 23. 

Glad to hear it - another faith-restoring-in-the-coach bit of news about one of our players that I had to discover here rather than from the media (they did report the Osorio injury news eventually, but several days after it was reported here).

Speaking of Akindele, this mls website article lists him and Teibert as players who's stock has dropped for inclusion in the Gold Cup roster. However, as worthy as this person's opinion might be, unless you can make a change in the 40 man roster at this stage (and I didn't think you could) I don't see how Hamilton's stock has risen even if he scores three consecutive hat-tricks over the next three games:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/06/19/stock-stock-down-gold-cup-edition-whos-making-case-us-canmnt

50 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Glad to hear it - another faith-restoring-in-the-coach bit of news about one of our players that I had to discover here rather than from the media (they did report the Osorio injury news eventually, but several days after it was reported here).

This was published two days ago: http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2016/AkindeleclearstheaironCaMNTcallups.aspx

Good to hear. This makes a lot more sense. Tesho is a solid MLS player. Hard to imagine he got cut because Zambrano never thought he was good enough, but it's a new coach who may have a different opinion. Can understand why people may have thought it was a cut, but happy to hear it wasn't.

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

I am liking our chances for the Gold Cup even more after seeing these Mexicans struggle against New Zealand.

I know this is sarcastic (or hope)but we just merely won by 1 goal to Curacao.

A Mexico B team is not to be taken lightly.

3 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I know this is sarcastic (or hope)but we just merely won by 1 goal to Curacao.

A Mexico B team is not to be taken lightly.

I know it's not to be taken lightly but we can definitely beat them. 

35 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Petrasso is in.

Good news for Petrasso. Some have been critical of his play in Qatar, or that he hasn't gotten more Championship minutes at QPR, but he is a player that can be dangerous and anytime we have dangerous attackers selected I think it's a good day.

I am sure I'm not the only one who hoped he'd be further along in his development, he's still only 22, under contract to a decent Championship side, and has quite a bit experience in league one. 

Zambrano must really believe in him to select him for the Gold Cup without bringing him to Montreal for final audition.

Archived