Cyle Larin

shermanator

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Bit of a tangent but this thread is already filled with them.

People here are talking about Portugal here as a potentially good landing spot for Larin. I just did a bit of digging today and found out (maybe everyone already knows this) that Portugal is actually the 4th best league in Europe according to the UEFA coefficients. People generally accept the big 4 as being Germany, Spain, England, and Italy (in no particular order), and if there is a 5th, it's probably France. But the coefficients tell a different story.

1. Germany
2. Spain
3. England
4. Portugal
5. Belgium
6. Italy
7. Netherlands
8. France

Incidentally, I was looking this up to see which players were in the highest rated leagues. Arfield obviously in England, then next is Stamatopolous in Sweden (number 16, Turkey if you are wondering is at 22).

The current top 10 ranking:
http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2017.html

# country 12/13 13/14 14/15 15/16 16/17 ranking teams
1 Spain 17.714 23.000 20.214 23.928 17.000 101.856 4/ 7
2 Germany 17.928 14.714 15.857 16.428 14.285 79.212 3/ 7
3 England 16.428 16.785 13.571 14.250 13.357 74.391 2/ 7
4 Italy 14.416 14.166 19.000 11.500 12.750 71.832 1/ 6
5 France 11.750 8.500 10.916 11.083 12.750 54.999 2/ 6
6 Russia 9.750 10.416 9.666 11.500 9.200 50.532 5
7 Portugal 11.750 9.916 9.083 10.500 8.083 49.332 6
8 Ukraine 9.500 7.833 10.000 9.800 5.500 42.633 5
9 Belgium 6.500 6.400 9.600 7.400 12.100 42.000 2/ 5
10 Turkey 10.200 6.700 6.000 6.600 9.300 38.800

1/ 5

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Some important points made in this post that I'd like to build on:

1) Portugal has a track record of exporting players directly to the top leagues, such as La Liga, the Bundesliga, Serie A and the English Premier League. We want Larin to ultimately arrive at one of those destinations. The downside of Belgium is that players sometimes need to take another step before landing in a top league. The downside of Scotland (well Celtic), is that they only export to the EPL. 

2) The top 2-3 teams in Portugal are arguably stronger than their counterparts in other exporting leagues (Holland, Belgium etc.). This means they often sell directly to the top clubs in the world. They also put up a fight against such clubs in the Champions League (which is probably way their players get scooped up).

Even though I originally listed Celtic as a decent landing spot, I've convinced myself that Portugal is probably the best destination.

Yeah, if I can add to that, they are indeed stronger considering Porto and Benfica (and a little bit of Sporting) import a lot of up and coming top talent from around the world (mainly Latin America). This is not to say Dutch and Belgian clubs don't because they do, but they don't do it to anywhere near the scale the two aforementioned Portuguese clubs do. Both Porto and Benfica invest in up and coming imports the way a Wall Street trader bets on high reward, high risk up and coming stocks on the NASDAQ, and so far they have sustained themselves really well from buying low and selling really high, which fund their team salaries that are probably double that of the big Dutch and Belgian clubs. However, one bad group of investments can derail this method really badly though. I remember PSV Eindhoven used the same strategy back around the late 90s to the mid to late 2000s, when the operation finally imploded with the last batch of guys they brought in (Edison Mendez, Diego Tardelli, etc.) failed to live up to expectations and they didn't make money off them. After that, the club slashed their team salary in half and now they concentrate on developing youth and occasionally buying young up an comers from smaller Dutch clubs. 

Edited by Macksam

1 hour ago, matty said:

We always talk about larin moving to Europe but How would people feel about a Mexican move

Seems like an extra, unnecessary step to getting to Portugal. FC Porto have scooped up some top talents from Liga MX the past 5 years so why go to a big club south of the border if you can just go straight to Benfica?

17 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Seems like an extra, unnecessary step to getting to Portugal. FC Porto have scooped up some top talents from Liga MX the past 5 years so why go to a big club south of the border if you can just go straight to Benfica?

Mexico seems to be becoming a fashionable league atm unlike Portugal which is losing it's place to France and Belgium. Mexico is also a more competitive and arguably intense league than Portugal. While it might lack a benfica or porto it has like 10 bragas and sportings.

Just now, Fastfeet2 said:

I dont understand everyone talking about these "steps". If guys like Saido Berahino, Shane Long, Benik Afobe, Lucas Perez, Patrick Bamford, Abel Hernandez, are playing meaningful minutes in the premier league, Cyle is ready.

He might. But the thing is, he would come there as a nobody. EPL clubs have literally dozens of young talents, but they also spend huge sums on transfers. If you spend like 20 mil on someone, you'd give him just a little more time to show what he can do. If you come as a nobody, you might be lucky to get a couple of sub minutes. 

11 minutes ago, shamrock said:

He might. But the thing is, he would come there as a nobody. EPL clubs have literally dozens of young talents, but they also spend huge sums on transfers. If you spend like 20 mil on someone, you'd give him just a little more time to show what he can do. If you come as a nobody, you might be lucky to get a couple of sub minutes. 

You're right, clubs will always try to prove they've spent their money well, and the youngsters suffer for it. But for some of the smaller EPL clubs (Burnley, Watford, Hull, Bournemouth) a transfer fee of $6-10mil would be more than enough for Larin to get his fair chance imo.

5 hours ago, Fort York Redcoat1555362293 said:

I'd be more pissed if he went to Liga MX. At least China would just be about money and a unique experience. Mexico is still within the region. He should aim further abroad.

So despite being better than mls, csl and most of europe (outside of the 5 likely) you would rather he not go to Mexico because it's still concacaf?

5 hours ago, Fort York Redcoat1555362293 said:

Yes. So many times, yes. Why would you prefer it?

Ok just wanted to be clear. I'd prefer Mexico over china because it's a stronger and more intensive league. Liga MX is a step up from MLS while CSL is a step down.

Latin America is also an environment canadians need to learn to play in.

A European top 10 league is the prefered move but Mexico isn't bad. China is a blah move because the league isn't there yet.

25 minutes ago, Fort York Redcoat1555362293 said:

I'd be more pissed if he went to Liga MX. At least China would just be about money and a unique experience. Mexico is still within the region. He should aim further abroad.

Oh man disagree,

I'd rather him go to Mexico even before Europe.  If he can cut it there, he'll get Spanish and Portuguese teams all over him.

3 hours ago, matty said:

Mexico seems to be becoming a fashionable league atm unlike Portugal which is losing it's place to France and Belgium.

Mexico is also a more competitive and arguably intense league than Portugal. While it might lack a benfica or porto it has like 10 bragas and sportings.

What exactly do you mean by Portugal losing it's place to France? Ligue 1 has been a clearly stronger league than Portugal for pretty much ever.

Yes, Mexico is more balanced but the more intense matches in UCL at Benfica will compensate for that. In Mexico there is no guarantee of Libertadores due to the parity in the league.

I'd have no problem with Larin transferring to a strong LigaMX side. There is a lot of talent in that league, and it is a step up from MLS. Plus, as has been noted, having Canadians playing in Central American conditions can only help the National Team.

That said, I don't think I've heard any real Mexico rumours. He's most likely Europe bound anyway.

9 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

What exactly do you mean by Portugal losing it's place to France? Ligue 1 has been a clearly stronger league than Portugal for pretty much ever.

Yes, Mexico is more balanced but the more intense matches in UCL at Benfica will compensate for that. In Mexico there is no guarantee of Libertadores due to the parity in the league.

Ligue 1 stronger than Portugal is a pretty recent thing man. 

I agree the big 3 and even Braga offer Europe play (mostly stronger) but I think he'd get strong matches more often via Mexico. Either is fine with me as I think both could give him the enviroment he needs to grow.

26 minutes ago, matty said:

Ligue 1 stronger than Portugal is a pretty recent thing man. 

Read up on your European history man. My grandmother used to go watch those great Stade Reims teams visit FC Rouen back in the 50's. France has always been stronger than Portugal in football.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Read up on your European history man. My grandmother used to go watch those great Stade Reims teams visit FC Rouen back in the 50's. France has always been stronger than Portugal in football.

You mean like how Portuguese teams have won a combined 7 European titles to Frech clubs' 2 (when you remove the Intertoto Cup)?

29 minutes ago, matty said:

You mean like how Portuguese teams have won a combined 7 European titles to Frech clubs' 2 (when you remove the Intertoto Cup)?

Quite the selective use of statistics. You know you're only measuring the relative strength of the top club in each country with that stat, right? How about this: since Belenenses won in 1945-46 only 3 clubs have won the Portuguese league more than once (Porto, Benfica and Sporting). Boavista won in 2000.

In that same time frame France has crowned 14 different champions. 8 teams have won atleast 5 times. I'm sure the UEFA co-effecient starting in the era of multiple reps. in European competition would reflect that.