2017 CONCACAF U-17 Championship

Zem

3 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

CSA won't take any kids from an academy to protect their relationship with the provincial associations and the pro academies.  

Politics as usual. We need to select players on merit. How are these so called pro academies suppose to improve if they aren't being pushed by private academies like Sigma? All boats rise with competition.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Politics as usual. We need to select players on merit. How are these so called pro academies suppose to improve if they aren't being pushed by private academies like Sigma? All boats rise with competition.

Completely agree. Do they even look at the players coming from Sigma or they just don't think they're good enough? The latter seems strange considering their success down the road. 

On 4/14/2017 at 4:42 AM, Ottawafan74 said:

CSA won't take any kids from an academy to protect their relationship with the provincial associations and the pro academies. Provincial kids get funnelled thru TFC/Vancouver/Impact, who then get to go to national ID camps. They won't take kids outside their stream. 

TFC kids are good; it was my understanding that the WC and Impact kids were not particularly strong. Now they have taken 2/3 kids from the Ottawa Internationals but that's because Johnny is the best 2000 kid out there and Benson at the age of 13 was built like a middle linebacker. Both are starters on the national team who have gone through the process but choose not to remain in a pro academy setting. 

Are the players in those academies registered under the CSA? 

Why don't you name who you think should have been called up so we can track their progress?

8 hours ago, masster said:

Are the players in those academies registered under the CSA? 

Why don't you name who you think should have been called up so we can track their progress?

Easy to be a critic, harder to actually have heard of and track 16 year olds nationwide.

On 12/4/2017 at 10:23 PM, Bison44 said:

Cantave is in the Spanish 4th tier (ask UT how far down the ladder that is). 

Spanish 4th, we called up players for the last u-23 tournament from Spanish 4th tier. At least Miki was in 3rd tier last year, and this year is on a club with a good chance to promote to 2nd division, though he's on the B squad.

What is worrying, is how easy it is for kids to fall off, disappear, or, maybe, go to college? A u-17 side should be a clear way of marking future pros.

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 5:38 PM, Lou said:

Josué Duverger, called up by Paul Stalteri in October 2016 for Canada U17 has been named in the Haiti U17 team.

Akinola is on the US team. Does anyone know anything about this guy from El Salvador that on Wikipedia just says Regina? Regina what? Is there an Academy that he would be from?

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Akinola is on the US team. Does anyone know anything about this guy from El Salvador that on Wikipedia just says Regina? Regina what? Is there an Academy that he would be from?

Which guy is that? I missed him. 

There was a kid who was either training or playing with an FC Regina elite team over the winter. I forget his name though. Did he turn out for El Salvador or Canada?

37 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Which guy is that? I missed him. 

There was a kid who was either training or playing with an FC Regina elite team over the winter. I forget his name though. Did he turn out for El Salvador or Canada?

Rodrigo Santamaria, I think I spelled that right. He is on El Salvador.

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

There was a Canadian in El Salvador playing a few years ago with the last name Santamaria, probably the younger brother of that guy.

edit: Cesar Santamaria was his name.

I'll have to get in touch with the FCR guys. I heard about the guy in Regina but I can't recall what brought him here. Saw him play a bit but not enough to really judge his skill level, etc. There's a reasonably sized El Salvadoran expat community in Regina, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were some family ties there.

I just watched the second half of this debacle, we will never learn, a player gets sent off for grabbing at the CR player before we take a FK in a dangerous position and all too predictably we concede the winner at the last kick of the ball, very frustrating!

Just now, Soccerpro said:

I'd care more if this all wasn't so predictable. What did these kids learn in Dallas, Italy etc lately?

Obviously not much! That was one of the stupidest Red Cards I have ever seen, I know they are kids but they are in pro academies and really that is just unacceptable! 

Well, watched a good portion of the first game vs. Costa Rica on a brutal CONCACAF stream that spooled every minute of so.  A very good, but tough, lesson for the boys on playing a Central American team.

I thought Canada played very well.  1-1 until the 80th minute when Rocco Romeo gets red carded for a playful slap on a Costa Rican.  The fucker goes down like he was punched, hence the red card.  CR scores on the last kick of the game in the 95th minute to win 2-1.

In all honesty, I thought Canada was the better team.  Generated way more chances (from what I saw - really bad stream).

I thought Jonathan David and Emile Legault were our two best players.  

edit: Sorry - posted same time as Gator!

edit 2 - Romeo also scored the goal off a corner.  Of course, didn't see it, bad stream.

Just now, Floortom said:

Why the hell would you ever do this?? I understand the contact was not hard but slapping an opponent in the face no matter how lightly is totally idiotic

Looks like you caught me before my ninja edit. I didn't even see the slap the first time, thought it was for a push!

Archived