2017 CONCACAF U-17 Championship

Zem

Is it a lack of scouting in Quebec, or do the Impact just not have enough quality in the academy?

Edit: another possibility I thought of is are the Impact's top players not yet eligible to represent Canada / holding out for another country?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Is the TFC academy really that good? Only 4 players from the Caps. Seems kind of odd, no? I thought the Caps were ahead of TFC on the development side, no?

What would lead you to believe this? I do not think any one club has excelled at development. Maybe Sigma academy could claim they are ahead.

47 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

What would lead you to believe this? I do not think any one club has excelled at development. Maybe Sigma academy could claim they are ahead.

Not even one player from sigma, politics as usual , this has to stop and the good players have to be picked , doesn't matter who they play for , it's not all about tfc

Wasn't the Impact Academy ranked higher in those USSDA games. Also didn't Vancouver make it really far in that tournament as well?

I mean, I guess TFC plays their academy in L1O which tends to be against grown men (a 41 year old keeper played last year), but seems wild to think that the Whitecaps and Impact perform better than a host of recognized MLS academies and still can't get a player on the team.

They can only pick 20 boys. 20. Not 23. And they need to take into account positions they usually play. If they tried to put more players from the Impact + Sigma + every other corner of the country we'd have a 50 boy squad. The guys are still growing and going through puberty. Likely very good players were cut; players that will be much better than these guys in 2 years (when the next U-20s) come around. I'm ready to bet one drink/beer with anybody here that no more than 7 of these 20 boys will make the next CONCACAF U-20 squad. Maybe the TFC players looked good because they've practiced together and linked well together. 

1 hour ago, Levi Oakey said:

Wasn't the Impact Academy ranked higher in those USSDA games. Also didn't Vancouver make it really far in that tournament as well?

I mean, I guess TFC plays their academy in L1O which tends to be against grown men (a 41 year old keeper played last year), but seems wild to think that the Whitecaps and Impact perform better than a host of recognized MLS academies and still can't get a player on the team.

Sigma not having anyone is a little strange, but  WC have 4 and Impact have 1 out of 20.  It does seem skewed towards TFC.  And Davies could have been there as well.  Not sure if its a conspiracy like Offside is saying, the last one in 2013 had alot of TFC as well.  

Hmm, took a quick look at the 2013 squad.  So discouraging  to see all the players that never made it.  granted some are still kicking in USL, college etc, Boakai flaming out was the worst of the bunch.  Bustos, Froese, Carducci, Comsia, Hamilton are the ones still making a go of it.  

12 FB Kevon Black Toronto FC Academy 17 Brampton, ON, CAN @kevon_black
10 F Hanson Boakai CAN / FC Edmonton 17 Edmonton, AB, CAN @hansonboakai
7 M Marco Bustos Whitecaps FC Academy 17 Winnipeg, MB, CAN @marcobustos10
17 M Mikaël Cantave USJA Carquefou 17 Ottawa, ON, CAN @mgcantave23
1 GK Marco Carducci Whitecaps FC Academy 17 Calgary, AB, CAN @mcarducci96
15 M Matthew Chow Whitecaps FC Academy 17 Vancouver, BC, CAN @_matthewchow
4 CB Alex Comsia   17 North Vancouver, BC, CAN @AlexComsia
13   Eric Davies   - Dallas, TX, USA  
16 M Marco Dominguez Montreal Impact Academy 17 Montréal, QC, CAN  
19 M Kianz Froese Whitecaps FC Academy 17 La Habana, CUB & Winnipeg, MB, CAN @kianzfroese
14 F Andrew Gordon Woodbridge Strikers 16 North York, ON, CAN  
9 F Jordan Hamilton Toronto FC Academy 17 Scarborough, ON, CAN @jayhams
11 M Jordan Haynes Whitecaps FC Academy 17 Peterborough, ON, CAN @96jhaynes
5 M El Mehdi Ibn Brahim Braves d'Ahuntsic 17 Montréal, QC, CAN  
21 GK Christian Kaiswatum Edmonton FC Academy 16 Edmonton, AB, CAN @C_Kaiswatum_1
2 CB Mathieu Laurent Mississauga Falcons 17 Toronto, ON, CAN  
8 FB Jose Lopez Edmonton FC Academy 17 Calgary, AB, CAN @lopez1496
18 GK Daniel Milton ENG / Blackpool 17 Ajax, ON, CAN @Daniel_Milton39
20 FB Ali Musse CAN / WSA Winnipeg 17 Winnipeg, MB, CAN @_alimusse
3 CB Elias Roubos CAN / Toronto FC III 15 North York, ON, CAN @eliasroubos
6 M Nevello Yoseke Montreal Impact Academy 17 Cairo, EGY & Ottawa, ON, CAN @NevelloY

JE

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

Wrong, many more are still playing: Black, Cantave, Davies, Chow, Dominguez...

Black, Chow, Davies are/were in Us College, Domingues in USL, Cantave is in the Spanish 4th tier (ask UT how far down the ladder that is).  I said some are still kicking it in college and USL, and 4 out of 5 guys you mention are in college and USL.  

But I think Olympique point is still valid, its hard to pick the stars at 16-17, and when they are all 20-21 alot of different players will be at the top of the age group.  Wouldn't Larin have been eliglble for this tournie??  

18 hours ago, Offside said:

Out of all Canada 11 tfc players, what a joke and politics as  usual. I'm pretty sure tfc has a lot of say in these nation youth teams, 

In the last month most of these TFC academy players have been playing games against u17 sides like Juventus, Estudiantes and Tijuana at the Viareggio and Dallas Cup. With the tournament starting in 10 days it makes sense to make this the core of the team.

3 hours ago, FC_Hali said:

In the last month most of these TFC academy players have been playing games against u17 sides like Juventus, Estudiantes and Tijuana at the Viareggio and Dallas Cup. With the tournament starting in 10 days it makes sense to make this the core of the team.

Well they didn't make it of of their groups in both tournaments so what's the big deal of all these players being the core of the team

I feel like if those kids were from Whitecaps people would have no problem with them being the majority. Were talking about U17's here, no one can say they follow U17 football enough to have a meaningful opinion on the selected players.

Alphonso Davies is the only name I see suggested for the squad, so for the people hating on the TFC kids, who should replace them?

16 hours ago, Ruffian said:

No, I don't mean ahead in terms of quality per se, but ahead in terms of actually setting up an effective academy system. I thought TFC was a bit slower out of the gates than the Caps. 

15 hours ago, Fastfeet2 said:

I feel like if those kids were from Whitecaps people would have no problem with them being the majority. Were talking about U17's here, no one can say they follow U17 football enough to have a meaningful opinion on the selected players.

Alphonso Davies is the only name I see suggested for the squad, so for the people hating on the TFC kids, who should replace them?

Nobody is hating on the TFC kids. It is a valid question to ask why the disparity between clubs. Maybe TFC just has a really strong group in that age class. Maybe they have been developed better. Maybe the scouting in other parts of the country wasn't good enough. Who knows? But the situation is a bit curious.

CSA won't take any kids from an academy to protect their relationship with the provincial associations and the pro academies. Provincial kids get funnelled thru TFC/Vancouver/Impact, who then get to go to national ID camps. They won't take kids outside their stream. 

TFC kids are good; it was my understanding that the WC and Impact kids were not particularly strong. Now they have taken 2/3 kids from the Ottawa Internationals but that's because Johnny is the best 2000 kid out there and Benson at the age of 13 was built like a middle linebacker. Both are starters on the national team who have gone through the process but choose not to remain in a pro academy setting. 

Archived