2017 CONCACAF U-17 Championship

Zem

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Concacaf should also suspend the Tico player for the horrible dive the way MLS has done in the past for simulatuion.  Until they start to do that, this kind of crap will go on. There is no excuse for not doing so

Agreed. I would say Romeo was naive more than stupid. Basically we all know you can't do that because the other guy is going to cheat.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Agreed. I would say Romeo was naive more than stupid. Basically we all know you can't do that because the other guy is going to cheat.

I'd say still more stupid. Why would you even do that to a guy who just tugged your shirt. Kust focus on the game

I don't know about folks from Italian background, but here, touching a face like that is in fact a gesture of affection, not aggression. Even adults who know each other well or work with each other might do that in certain circumstances, especially between men. Just wondering because the way he did it did not seem aggressive at all.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't know about folks from Italian background, but here, touching a face like that is in fact a gesture of affection, not aggression. Even adults who know each other well or work with each other might do that in certain circumstances, especially between men. Just wondering because the way he did it did not seem aggressive at all.

It's so great to see our kids building such productive and intimate relationships with their international counterparts!

9 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Concacaf should also suspend the Tico player for the horrible dive the way MLS has done in the past for simulatuion.  Until they start to do that, this kind of crap will go on. There is no excuse for not doing so

A little off topic but I hope CPL stops these academy awards plays when the league comes around. I don't think it would be a great selling point seeing players dive like that.

58 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

A little off topic but I hope CPL stops these academy awards plays when the league comes around. I don't think it would be a great selling point seeing players dive like that.

I agree, the problem is that young players grow up watching this crap, it's part of the "soccer culture" for some nations including most from CONCACAF! We are always going to get screwed by adhering to proper sporting ethics as long as this stuff goes un-punished! Yesterday was a perfect example of this, it was a deserved Red Card, you cannot put your hands on another player, simple as that but the reaction of the Tico is nothing short of embarrassing to the sport and something FIFA should be punishing! I imagine the soccer haters can have a field day with this little snippet!

50 minutes ago, gator said:

I agree, the problem is that young players grow up watching this crap, it's part of the "soccer culture" for some nations including most from CONCACAF! We are always going to get screwed by adhering to proper sporting ethics as long as this stuff goes un-punished! Yesterday was a perfect example of this, it was a deserved Red Card, you cannot put your hands on another player, simple as that but the reaction of the Tico is nothing short of embarrassing to the sport and something FIFA should be punishing! I imagine the soccer haters can have a field day with this little snippet!

Not just FIFA, but also Concacaf. And we know who the president of Concacaf is now. He should be familiar that in MLS the player would be fined/suspended for an egregious bit of simulation like that, all these games are video recorded, there's no reason to not incorporate post-match suspensions in these situations for Concacaf qualifying matches at any age level.

1 hour ago, gator said:

You cant??  Seems like there is arm tugging, elbows to the face, forearms to the throat, practically saturday morning wrestling matches going on in front of goal on almost every corner and free kick.  If the officals saw the slap, cheek stroke, love pat, they could call it but the pantomimed theatrics should have drawn a yellow for simulation, or some sort of post game punishment when the FIFA officals watched the tape.  Gamesmanship like that is part of the reason why most of my friends dont like soccer and refuse to watch it.  

1 hour ago, Fastfeet2 said:

Its a tactic to distract your opponent. Happens lots, rarely caught.

Just be better than the guy. Thats a good tactic too

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

You cant??  Seems like there is arm tugging, elbows to the face, forearms to the throat, practically saturday morning wrestling matches going on in front of goal on almost every corner and free kick.  If the officals saw the slap, cheek stroke, love pat, they could call it but the pantomimed theatrics should have drawn a yellow for simulation, or some sort of post game punishment when the FIFA officals watched the tape.  Gamesmanship like that is part of the reason why most of my friends dont like soccer and refuse to watch it.  

Maybe I should have been more specific, you can't make a slapping motion towards your opponents face, if the ref sees it you will most likely be shown a Red Card for violent conduct no matter how minimal it may seem! In saying that how was the Tico unpunished for having his hands around the Canadian player's neck in the foreground of the replay, WTF?

1 hour ago, Ottawafan74 said:

That's been the rumour that he'd end up in Belgium. He is the best 2000 kid Canada has, better than Davies. Johnny has the skill and touch Davies doesn't have. 

Good kid who works hard. 

Did I understand you right that Johnathan avoided the MLS academies as well? Was it his regional club that got him the chance in Europe?

1 hour ago, Levi Oakey said:

Did I understand you right that Johnathan avoided the MLS academies as well? Was it his regional club that got him the chance in Europe?

He has avoided them with an eye towards a European contract. He used to be on Gloucester who won OYSL a few years ago but club politics forced the coach out so some club glory hound could take it over. So the coach moved over to Internationals and his kids followed. Benson spent some time at Vancouver but for whatever reason came home. They have 3 kids part of the national program. Oddly enough OSU who just showed well at the Dallas Cup ( as well as winning Ontario Cup/OYSL ) and is as good as any MLS academy or club in Canada can't get anyone a sniff with the nats. Oh well...

28 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

He has avoided them with an eye towards a European contract. He used to be on Gloucester who won OYSL a few years ago but club politics forced the coach out so some club glory hound could take it over. So the coach moved over to Internationals and his kids followed. Benson spent some time at Vancouver but for whatever reason came home. They have 3 kids part of the national program. Oddly enough OSU who just showed well at the Dallas Cup ( as well as winning Ontario Cup/OYSL ) and is as good as any MLS academy or club in Canada can't get anyone a sniff with the nats. Oh well...

Who is that coach? I asked my sister in law who coaches there but she didn't seem to know since she was off last year as she had a baby. 

29 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

Sorry, who is Benson? Who has 3 kids part of the national program? Is OSU related to this Johnathan David story or is that just an Ottawa related aside?

43 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

He used to be on Gloucester who won OYSL a few years ago but club politics forced the coach out so some club glory hound could take it over.

Sad to hear if true.  Gloucester was my club as a kid from 12 through to 21 and I have many fond memories.  Still have a hat somewhere signed by Bruce Wilson and Randy Ragan when our coach arranged for some of the MNT to come to the Hornets' Nest during qualifying for 1986.

Good luck to Jonathan.

Archived