2017 CONCACAF U-17 Championship

Zem

4 hours ago, BradMack said:

If we ever want to progress this kind of situation is inevitable. These are the teams that are ahead of us in Concacaf. I would say theyre tier 2, we're probably tier 3, with Mexico, USA and probably Costa Rica  being the top class teams.  But our youth teams seem to have a lot more promise now, I'm more confident in them then our senior team these days.

Regarding our youth teams having more promise now. I just had to point out Canada's record at the U20 level.

U-20 World Cup record
Year Result Position Pld W D L GF GA
Tunisia 1977 Did not qualify
Japan 1979 Group stage 13th of 16 3 1 0 2 3 5
Australia 1981 Did not qualify
Mexico 1983
Soviet Union 1985 Group stage 14th of 16 3 0 1 2 0 7
Chile 1987 Group stage 12th of 16 3 0 2 1 4 5
Saudi Arabia 1989 Did not qualify
Portugal 1991
Australia 1993
Qatar 1995
Malaysia 1997 Round of 16 13th of 24 4 1 1 2 3 5
Nigeria 1999 Did not qualify
Argentina 2001 Group stage 24th of 24 3 0 0 3 0 9
United Arab Emirates 2003 Quarter-finals 8th of 24 5 2 0 3 4 6
Netherlands 2005 Group stage 21st of 24 3 0 1 2 2 7
Canada 2007 Group Stage 24th of 24 3 0 0 3 0 6
Egypt 2009 Did not qualify
Colombia 2011
Turkey 2013
New Zealand 2015
South Korea 2017 To be determined
Total Quarter-finals 8/20 27 4 5 18 16 50

Not exactly a sterling record for us in qualifying (ironically enough, since MLS expanded into Canada). I suppose the same could be said about our record during the CSL days of the late 80's and early 90's.

Anyways, hopefully the drought ends next year!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems we did better when we didn't have a league or the MLS....perhaps it was because it was easier to get the side together for friendlies and training leading up to the qualification...I have sometimes felt that is one of our biggest disadvantages in qualifying as unlike the central American clubs, we can get national teams together mid week for some training throughout the season

55 minutes ago, An Observer said:

It seems we did better when we didn't have a league or the MLS....perhaps it was because it was easier to get the side together for friendlies and training leading up to the qualification...I have sometimes felt that is one of our biggest disadvantages in qualifying as unlike the central American clubs, we can get national teams together mid week for some training throughout the season

FIFA changing the rules is probably the biggest problem we've faced recently. Once upon a time U20 players had to be released for qualifiers, but that changed in 2013 (i believe).

• 3 months later...

One last preparation camp for the U-17s will take place from March 27th to April 9th:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-s-men-s-u-17-preparation-camp--p160673-preview-1

Mostly either domestic-based or guys who have participated in the U17 programme already, but one new and interesting addition is former Croatian U16 international Matthew Laic who is currently with Dinamo Zagreb.

Here is full list for easy reference. 

CANADA U-17
GK- Gianluca Catalano | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
GK- Evan Ince | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-16 Residency
GK- Sebastian Sgarbossa | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
CB- Julian Dunn-Johnson | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
CB- Yohan Le Bourhis | CAN / Académie Impact de Montréal
CB- Antonio Rocco Romeo | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
CB- Karifa Yao | CAN / Académie Impact de Montréal
FB- Gabriel Escobar | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-16 Residency
FB- Émile Legault | FRA / AJ Auxerre
FB- Monti Mohsen | CAN / Ottawa Internationals SC
FB- Jake Ruby | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-16 Residency
M- Michael Baldisimo | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
M- Olakunle Dada-Luke | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
M- Jordan Faria | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
M- Benson Fazili | CAN / Ottawa Internationals SC
M- Alessandro Hojabrpour | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-16 Residency
M- Terique Mohammed | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
M- Noble Okello | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
M- Luca Petrasso | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
M- Steffen Yeates | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
F- Zakaria Abdi | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
F- Jonathan David | CAN / Ottawa Internationals SC
F- José Hernández | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC U-16 Residency
F- Matthew Laic | CRO / GNK Dinamo Zagreb

If you're counting...

11 from TFC

5 from Whitecaps 

3 from Ottawa Internationals (I wonder if they were former fury players)

2 from Montreal

Montreal continues to surprise me with the continued dismal amount of players contributed to the YNT's.

7 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

3 from Ottawa Internationals (I wonder if they were former fury players)

They aren't, although the Fury did invite David and Fazili to train with their first team last season.

Just now, Zem said:

They aren't, although the Fury did invite David and Fazili to train with their first team last season.

Thanks....

The way the fury cut their youth program is embarrassing, considering the amount of players that have come from there.

25 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Thanks....

The way the fury cut their youth program is embarrassing, considering the amount of players that have come from there.

they didn't really have a good relationship with the local clubs. 

39 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Thanks....

Yeah it was an awful decision, the transition toward being a proper professional academy was slow, but now they're going to have to start again from scratch... which is ironically going to cost a lot of money and take a long time to start paying off

8 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

What happened with the fury's academy ?

They shut it down, apparently temporarily. They haven't indicated when they plan to relaunch it, but it evidently isn't a priority for the ownership anymore. The club hasn't generated nearly as much revenue as expected, so that's presumably what was behind the move.

7 minutes ago, Zem said:

They shut it down, apparently temporarily. They haven't indicated when they plan to relaunch it, but it evidently isn't a priority for the ownership anymore. The club hasn't generated nearly as much revenue as expected, so that's presumably what was behind the move.

I presume it was a for profit academy ?

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Why do we never see players from Sigma on these teams? Is this to do with Ontario Soccer only looking at certain academies?

I can't see any other reason, but happy to be told otherwise...

5 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Why do we never see players from Sigma on these teams? Is this to do with Ontario Soccer only looking at certain academies?

My thoughts exactly, they're arguably the best academy in Canada. Wait maybe Whitecaps are better, atleast they've produced more players.

• 3 weeks later...

Ryan Amorim is a welcome surprise. He hasn't been involved with the U17 national team yet, but he participated in a U15 ID camp 2 years ago when he still lived in Kitchener. He's now with Vitoria de Setubal in Portugal apparently.

Archived