The 23-man squad vs Mexico. (your picks, speculation & confirmed call-ups)

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they're not going to start, you have to pick players that would fit a need as a sub off the bench regardless of what league they play. You need complements rather than like for like replacements for the starters all the time.

Hume is one of those who can come on 15 mins and has shown the ability to put one in. Haber gives us a target man up front if we need to play the hold up or long ball game. Ricketts is hopefully not starting but is good off the bench given his speed and dribbling. 

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hume has actually played about 2 games total the last month, so I don't think we can judge his form quite yet. 

But yes, I agree that Cavallini and Jackson would have been more deserving. That said, sometimes you have to call in senior players because of their work with the team, because they'll accept a sub or bench with a positive attitude, while others can't handle it and can hurt your overall team spirit. Hume is that kind of player.

We only get 3 subs, it is hard to play Hume for any more than a few minutes in any scenario, either match.

FWIW, I have no gripes about Hume's inclusion on the roster. He and Haber also play very different styles. I think that were it to come down to one or the other, that Haber will get the minutes due to his ability to hold up the ball in the final third, and as a 4-5-1 that seems to be what Floro is looking for. If Floro moves to more of a 4-4-2 than I think Hume would come in during that scenario

40 minutes ago, Alex said:

Best squad of all time? It's close, maybe 07 gold cup squad?

Definitely not the 07 Gold Cup squad as the team was stronger in 2008 once we added in McKenna, Radzinski, Hirschfeld, Klukowski and Serioux... so probably strongest squad since then.

Hume seems a silly call to be honest.  Why, just because he's attached to a Spanish team now?  He's not even dressing for them at the moment.  Jackson or Froese would have been better calls, both are younger and actually playing at higher levels.  Just doesn't make sense for me... why wait so long to have Hume involved and then barely give him time against USA but then call him when it matters and we have options like Froese and Jackson who have been more involved but left out.  Froese especially... really surprised to see him left out as he offers so much versatility.  With Larin, Haber and Ricketts it's not like we are thin at striker.

James as well.  Why?  With the CBs we've called he's not going to see the pitch, so why call him and not a backup LB like Adekugbe/Morgan?  

Happy with the squad otherwise... my preferred XI is all in the squad but I just have questions about the depth selections.  

1 minute ago, Keegan said:

Definitely not the 07 Gold Cup squad as the team was stronger in 2008 once we added in McKenna, Radzinski, Hirschfeld, Klukowski and Serioux... so probably strongest squad since then.

Hume seems a silly call to be honest.  Why, just because he's attached to a Spanish team now?  He's not even dressing for them at the moment.  Jackson or Froese would have been better calls, both are younger and actually playing at higher levels.  Just doesn't make sense for me... why wait so long to have Hume involved and then barely give him time against USA but then call him when it matters and we have options like Froese and Jackson who have been more involved but left out.  Froese especially... really surprised to see him left out as he offers so much versatility.  With Larin, Haber and Ricketts it's not like we are thin at striker.

James as well.  Why?  With the CBs we've called he's not going to see the pitch, so why call him and not a backup LB like Adekugbe/Morgan?  

Happy with the squad otherwise... my preferred XI is all in the squad but I just have questions about the depth selections.  

Funny, and incredible you actually think 2nd division Spain is below 2nd division England, that Froese and Jackson are "actually playing at higher levels", what a creative little line. I don't mind any opinion but to be so categorical about, that is really poor. I think you are totally deluded: Hume plays in a higher level division than Jackson and quite likely Froese. Spain is way superior to EPL and the second to Championship, hands down. 

And Froese: not one single MLS team could stay up in La Liga, they'd all be in Div 2. Not one of the them has the professional discipline, ball play or tactical sense.

Then you do this "He's not even dressing for them at the moment" after not dressing last week, alone, one game, and compared to Jackson and Froese. I mean, Hume signed in early February, and has dressed more than Froese in the last month in official matches, and similar or bit less than Jackson.

44 minutes ago, michaeltfc91 said:

Is it just me or this roster isn't really good after the starting XI? How can Hume, James, Vitoria, Ledgerwood, Piette and Haber make the roster?? We have legit MLS players starting for clubs not getting on the roster, but these no-namers are on. Osorio MLS starter, Aird MLS starter, Froese MLS starter, Morgan MLS sub, Jackson Hamel MLS sub, Bekker MLS sub not on the roster. That doesn't make much sense these guys have played MLS minutes but those guys I mentioned are in league not even comparable. Simeon Jackson has been scoring at the Championship level, Cavallini in Uruguay and they aren't there? I don't know but I would have made a lot of changes although everyone's starting XI is in there at least

I agree with the point you're making, but MLS is definitely comparable to the Spanish 2nd division, English 3rd and Hungarian 1st divisions.  Don't let the MLS hype machine get ya ;) I think most MLS teams would be fighting for promotion in League One or battling relegation in the Championship. 

Hume's work-rate and ability to hit a dead ball are (IMHO) key factors for his inclusion, as well as his experience and leadership ability.

Hume likely won't see the pitch, but if he does I think Floro likes that he knows what he is going to get.

I can see Floro throwing us:

Larin
Hoilett Arfield Hutchinson Ricketts
                   JDG

Arfield is on the roster as an "M" not a "W". Let's see. Johnson Hutch Arfield and De Guzman should all be on the field at the same time. Do not include Ricketts please Floro. 

1 hour ago, Ivanovski94 said:

To say Piette or even Vitoria are no namers is absured. And some of these guys like ledgerwood and ricketts even bekker, while maybe not as sexy in skill they tend to work really hard on the field. Some of the MLS players who havent been called dont play much(Jackson-Hamel and Morgan play garbage minutes if that) and Osorio has never been anything significant for Canada, hes a ghost in most games he has played for Canada.

So what does Osorio have to do to get over those few bad performances. Is he never allowed on the national team again because of a few games even if making strides at Tfc.

I was not expecting Hutchinson being listed as a Rb. I guess Floro is moving Hutch to Rb to make room for Ricketts in the starting 11. I will be expecting this starting lineup.

Borjan

Hutch-Edgar-Henry-De Jong

Ricketts-Arfield-De Guzman-Johnson- Hoilett

Larin

There's no way Hutchinson is not in the centre-mid. One page on the website has him as a mid, and I'm assuming a typo on the other page has him as a rightback.

I'd be bitterly disappointed if our mid wasn't: junior, jdg, hutch, johnson, arfield, because that'd be the best midfield we've ever had, by far.

35 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I was not expecting Hutchinson being listed as a Rb. I guess Floro is moving Hutch to Rb to make room for Ricketts in the starting 11. I will be expecting this starting lineup.

Borjan

Hutch-Edgar-Henry-De Jong

Ricketts-Arfield-De Guzman-Johnson- Hoilett

Larin

You're joking right?

You honestly think because some intern at the CSA listed him as an RB he's now going to play RB for us?

15 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

There's no way Hutchinson is not in the centre-mid. One page on the website has him as a mid, and I'm assuming a typo on the other page has him as a rightback.

I'd be bitterly disappointed if our mid wasn't: junior, jdg, hutch, johnson, arfield, because that'd be the best midfield we've ever had, by far.

deRosario-Hutchinson-deGuzman-Bernier-Radzinski was the so called "best midfield in Concacaf" in 2008.

Time will tell which midfield is better.

Mexico call-up, and club. A few u-23s as filler, mostly a squad based in Mexico and in a long time no really dangerous world-class striker. Lots of experience. Mexico arrives on Monday to Vancouver, the Euro-based players going directly from their Euro clubs. The whole call-up plays top-flight football.

I watched Moreno and Guardado for PSV vs. At Madrid, great two legs and very good discipline, Guardado no longer gets forward, is more holding now. Moreno is talented and smart, back on form after breaking his leg at the WC, tends to go down for the tackle though, if you are smart you can get him to foul you in the box. Chicarito has come down a lot as well.

Keepers:
Alfredo Talavera- Toluca
Jesús Corona- Cruz Azul
Alejandro Palacios- Pumas

Defenders:
Diego Reyes- Real Sociedad
Héctor Moreno- PSV Eindhoven
Néstor Araujo- Santos Laguna
Yasser Corona- Querétaro
Paúl Aguilar- América
Miguel Layún- Porto FC
Rafael Márquez- Atlas

Mids:
Jesús Molina- Santos Laguna
Héctor Herrera- Porto FC
Andrés Guardado- PSV Eindhoven
Rodolfo Pizarro- Pachuca
Marco Fabián- Eintracht Frankfurt
Orbelín Pineda- Guadalajara

Strikers:
Hirving Lozano- Pachuca
Javier Aquino- Tigres
Jesús Corona- Porto FC
Javier “Chicharito” Hernández- Bayer Leverkusen
Raúl Jiménez- Benfica
Isaac Brizuela- Guadalajara
Cándido Ramírez- Monterrey
Eduardo Herrera- Pumas.

29 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Mexico call-up, and club. A few u-23s as filler, mostly a squad based in Mexico and in a long time no really dangerous world-class striker.

Chicarito has come down a lot as well.

Really? I was under the impression that Chicarito has been having a good season with Leverkusen.

One could argue he's more dangerous now getting regular 90 minutes in Germany and Europe than when he occasionally saw time for Madrid or ManU. He's certainly scoring goals.

He scares me the most out of this squad.

38 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

You're joking right?

You honestly think because some intern at the CSA listed him as an RB he's now going to play RB for us?

I agree.  Look at the rest: Ledgerwood and Ouimette are listed as FB (and not RB or LB) and De Jong is listed as M.  I don't put much faith in those positions.

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Straith is fine too. Can't think of a performance where he's been shown to be out of his depth.

Never looked up to snuff against the USA recently (imo), but never made a mistake that cost us (to his credit).

Archived