The 23-man squad vs Mexico. (your picks, speculation & confirmed call-ups)

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Never looked up to snuff against the USA recently (imo), but never made a mistake that cost us (to his credit).

Greece.  But that's a while ago now.  Have to look up what year that was.

Edit:  2011.  2:58 in the video.  I agree he's been solid overall, though.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=+canada+vs+greece+straith&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I'm guessing you didn't watch it? Most dominating run of games I've seen this team play.

The 2007-2008 CanMNT is still a benchmark team imo. I was in Seattle for the Brazil friendly in May 08 and that still ranks as one of the best games I've ever seen Canada play offensively. So many chances going toe to toe with Brazil.

53 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Never looked up to snuff against the USA recently (imo), but never made a mistake that cost us (to his credit).

He did come close to making that costly mistake in the Honduras game last fall with a bad bobble in front of the net that Borjan had to scramble on. But generally I have been impressed with Straith under Floro. He's been steady and reliable.

2 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

You're joking right?

You honestly think because some intern at the CSA listed him as an RB he's now going to play RB for us?

It was a joke. Besides he has played Rb in the past.

2 hours ago, kohanz said:

Really? I was under the impression that Chicarito has been having a good season with Leverkusen.

One could argue he's more dangerous now getting regular 90 minutes in Germany and Europe than when he occasionally saw time for Madrid or ManU. He's certainly scoring goals.

He scares me the most out of this squad.

He is. That is nonsense. Chicharito has 14 Bundesliga goals in 20 games. Only Lewandowski, Mueller and Aubamyang are ahead of him.

He has also scored 4 goals in 3 German Cup games, and 5 goals from 8 matches in Europe. 

@Unnamed Trialist, why do you consider that he has "come down", given those numbers?

Very bad news about Larin. Hope he's OK for next week. That's where not calling Olivier Occean at any point since he's been in really good form in Norway might come to hunt us. He would be my second choice to play up front for us after Cyle.

In another thread, Shermanator has a Twitter quote saying Larin is sick, not injured, and that is the reason for his early substitution. Fingers crossed this is true, and Larin is over it and back to full strength in time for the Vancouver match. 

Perhaps this is the wine talking, but I've been thinking that maybe the fact that only 1 MLSer from a Canadian team has been called is a tactical move by Floro. Could he (along with the CSA) be saying "this is Canada's biggest match in years. but Canadian MLS teams aren't actually helping our National Program."

It would certainly put pressure on the Canadian MLS clubs, as well as add fuel to the idea that we need another solution, and a Canadian league is it.

EDIT: and I would like to add, he obviously wouldn't skip out on any integral players, but if Floro felt one or two could easily be replaced, then it makes more sense.

50 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

Perhaps this is the wine talking, but I've been thinking that maybe the fact that only 1 MLSer from a Canadian team has been called is a tactical move by Floro. Could he (along with the CSA) be saying "this is Canada's biggest match in years. but Canadian MLS teams aren't actually helping our National Program."

It would certainly put pressure on the Canadian MLS clubs, as well as add fuel to the idea that we need another solution, and a Canadian league is it.

EDIT: and I would like to add, he obviously wouldn't skip out on any integral players, but if Floro felt one or two could easily be replaced, then it makes more sense.

The guys on the Canadian MLS teams are on the fringes... Maybe if TIebert was in form he would be called up.. but no one is really missing.  Jackson /Cavallini are the only two that are in form that are missing.

9 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Guys my leak was honestly true,  i got  21 out of 23  i got Edgar mistaken for Morgan....  i had the stand-by players too.....but didnt have  Hume , Ricketts though....pretty clear my INFO was accurated

Were you the one one who labelled the player's positions? You had Atiba at RB right? Please tell me that info is accurated. ;)

http://canadasoccer.com/index.php?t=project&sid=1049

17 minutes ago, sose said:

The guys on the Canadian MLS teams are on the fringes... Maybe if TIebert was in form he would be called up.. but no one is really missing.  Jackson /Cavallini are the only two that are in form that are missing.

Sort of my point that they are on the fringes, so Floro (and CSA) could do this without it really impacting the team. Because if it couldn't possibly be true, it is a pretty damning indictment of the past 10 years of MLS in Canada. 

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

Oh please with this new CDN league crap!

Sorry, JDG got my CDN league juices flowing. 

http://the11.ca/2016/03/18/jdg-mexico-match-could-change-the-future-of-canadian-soccer/

Archived