The 23-man squad vs Mexico. (your picks, speculation & confirmed call-ups)

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, shorty said:

My bad.. forgot about Issey.  That's always the trouble when you make lists like this. You're always going to forget a couple.  Hume at ST as well, now that I think of it, and I'm sure I'm overlooking a CB too...

hume hasn't been in the lineup for his club in recent weeks. has never been in the good books of the new coach

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

He's a Floro fav but hasnt been playing much in the Spanish 4th tier.  I feel like his career has stagnated. 

I remember someone told me his team was on the brink of promotion to the 2nd division.

56 minutes ago, shorty said:

Taking Brennanfan's list as the solid core (assuming Arfield's paperwork is in), I would suggest the following are possibles in decreasing likelihood by position:

GK: Crepeau, Thomas ...

CB:  Vitoria, Lefevre, Roberts ...

FB:  Morgan, Aird, Tissot ...

CM:  Piette, Froese, Trafford, Osorio ... (maybe the last two reversed if JO has done what Floro wants him to)

Wing:  Petrasso, Teibert... (but RT injured -- wing is where Floro uses him when he is around)

Striker: Jackson, Cavallini

I agree that Jackson is more likely than Cavallini, only because we still don't know the level of LC's commitment.  I personally don't think we see either.  I think the 5 in bold plus Brennanfan's list will be the squad.

Really Morgan over Aird?

I think its Ouimette over Aird.  Morgan would come in as the second choice LB behind deJong and ahead of Adekugbe.

Morgan had a stretch last year where he played his best football ever.  He's still young but at the same time, he is a veteran who is still in MLS after 5 coaching changes.  

Perhaps Adekugbe comes in to save the CSA a flight.

Another game, another goal yesterday for Cavallini albeit a friendly:

The owner albivioleta team won 1: 0 Cerrito in preparation friendly match played in the Parque Capurro . The only goal was scored by Phoenix Canada Lucas Cavallini .

Come on guys...how many Canadians are scoring goals? (I did see Hoilett's goal...beautiful).

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

Really Morgan over Aird?

Not head to head -- thinking depth at left vs right. We already have Ouimette and Ledgerwood for the right (plus Henry... ok I'm trolling now.  Aird is probably third after those two.)

As Brennanfan mentions, we only have De Jong for the left in his list of locks.  (Edit:  forgot another... Adekugbe.  hmm.  Guessing Floro's mind, I'd say Adekugbe before Morgan after de Jong but it's a toss up.

1 hour ago, rightback said:

Another game, another goal yesterday for Cavallini albeit a friendly:

The owner albivioleta team won 1: 0 Cerrito in preparation friendly match played in the Parque Capurro . The only goal was scored by Phoenix Canada Lucas Cavallini .

Come on guys...how many Canadians are scoring goals? (I did see Hoilett's goal...beautiful).

Hoilett is scoring.. Larin is scoring (2 goals in 2 games)..

Mexico roster - no dos Santos/Vela/Ochoa

Goalkeepers

Alejandro Palacios (Pumas UNAM); Jose de Jesus Corona (Cruz Azul); Alfredo Talavera (Toluca);

Defenders

Paul Aguilar (Club America); Hector Moreno (PSV); Nestor Araujo (Santos Laguna); Diego Reyes (Real Sociedad); Miguel Layun (FC Porto); Rafael Marquez (Atlas); Yasser Corona (Queretaro);

Midfielders

Hector Herrera (FC Porto); Orbelin Pineda (Chivas); Jesus Molina (Santos Laguna); Marco Fabian (Eintracht Frankfurt); Rodolfo Pizarro (Pachuca); Andres Guardado (PSV);

Forwards

Hirving Lozano (Pachuca); Candido Ramirez (Monterrey); Isaac Brizuela (Chivas); Javier Aquino (Tigres); Jesus Corona (FC Porto); Javier Hernandez (Bayer Leverkusen); Eduardo Herrera (Pumas UNAM); Raul Jimenez (Benfica)

9 minutes ago, theaub said:

Mexico roster - no dos Santos/Vela/Ochoa

Goalkeepers

Alejandro Palacios (Pumas UNAM); Jose de Jesus Corona (Cruz Azul); Alfredo Talavera (Toluca);

Defenders

Paul Aguilar (Club America); Hector Moreno (PSV); Nestor Araujo (Santos Laguna); Diego Reyes (Real Sociedad); Miguel Layun (FC Porto); Rafael Marquez (Atlas); Yasser Corona (Queretaro);

Midfielders

Hector Herrera (FC Porto); Orbelin Pineda (Chivas); Jesus Molina (Santos Laguna); Marco Fabian (Eintracht Frankfurt); Rodolfo Pizarro (Pachuca); Andres Guardado (PSV);

Forwards

Hirving Lozano (Pachuca); Candido Ramirez (Monterrey); Isaac Brizuela (Chivas); Javier Aquino (Tigres); Jesus Corona (FC Porto); Javier Hernandez (Bayer Leverkusen); Eduardo Herrera (Pumas UNAM); Raul Jimenez (Benfica)

Source: http://miseleccion.mx/convocatoria-de-la-seleccion-nacional-de-mexico-8/ No Vela and no Peralta is good for us I guess but this was always going to be a very strong roster.

They fly to Vancouver on Monday. If they are at a different hotel then our boys, let's make some noise in front and stop them from sleeping!

2 hours ago, shorty said:
1 hour ago, Canada1 said:

I spoke to the CSA yesterday. The squad will be named tomorrow. I asked if Arfield was on it and they would not confirm. I know what I think and I will be very happy seeing that line up tomorrow.

Not head to head -- thinking depth at left vs right. We already have Ouimette and Ledgerwood for the right (plus Henry... ok I'm trolling now.  Aird is probably third after those two.)

As Brennanfan mentions, we only have De Jong for the left in his list of locks.  (Edit:  forgot another... Adekugbe.  hmm.  Guessing Floro's mind, I'd say Adekugbe before Morgan after de Jong but it's a toss up.

They have to make a dramatic announcement.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Source: http://miseleccion.mx/convocatoria-de-la-seleccion-nacional-de-mexico-8/ No Vela and no Peralta is good for us I guess but this was always going to be a very strong roster.

They fly to Vancouver on Monday. If they are at a different hotel then our boys, let's make some noise in front and stop them from sleeping!

No Peralta, no Gio, no Vela, no Ochoa, and Marquez in? Hmm. Are they taking us lightly? 

2 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

The lineup I expect is to have Larin, Hoilett, Akindele, Arfield  Ricketts and Haber up front.  That would be the most dangerous set of attackers we've had since Josh Simpson got hurt.

It's amazing what depth the program is developing for attacking options in just a few years.

The service Arfield and Hoilett can deliver to Larin is titulating, and given what highlights I've seen of Larin this season or last, all he needs is a half second to get one off.

Should hopefully give Mexico enough trouble to make sure we aren't under fire in the box all 90 minutes. Maybe we could even score a goal 

My predictions:

Hoilett - Larin - Arfield (!) 

Johnson - Hutchinson - de Guzman 

De Jong - Edgar - Vitoria - Ledgerwood

Stamatopolous

Bench:

GK: Borjan, Leutwiler (!) 

Def: Adekugbe, Henry, Aird

Mid: Bekker (of course), Piette, Straith, Tissot, Ricketts

Forw: Jackson, Haber

In reality, Floro is a creature of habit and believes in system over players, so outside of the new faces I think we see little change. Cavallini remains unseen and favourites (Bekker, Straith, Piette, Ricketts) at least make the bench. 

Edit: forgot Akindele, probably over Tissot then

Also, I know we're not a 4-3-3, but it's a rough representation 

10 hours ago, Keegan said:

I like Javier's enthusiasm here but come on man, how are you possibly a journalist with your dodgy caps and punctuation?  Also, I saw a post on here where he went off in Spanish after typing English for half the post.  

well that's because i can write and speak in french , english plus my mother tongue  castelllano -not spanish-castellano my friend from Castilla remember in Spain youve got different idioms like  gaelic or gallego for the spanish cousins ,  basque and catalan....mon ami !!  Allez aussi mon bon pote!!!

18 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

well that's because i can write and speak in french , english plus my mother tongue  castelllano -not spanish-castellano my friend from Castilla remember in Spain youve got different idioms like  gaelic or gallego for the spanish cousins ,  basque and catalan....mon ami !!  Allez aussi mon bon pote!!!

Castellano is Spanish. Don't delude yourself into thinking otherwise. It's like saying German in Austria isn't German. It is.

Archived