The 23-man squad vs Mexico. (your picks, speculation & confirmed call-ups)

1 hour ago, aloyol said:

Ok, good news. I like Haber (strong hold up play against Honduras) but I think Larin, despite not being that impressive in the Canada shirt (compare to a Orlando shirt), is still a way better option. 

I must say I never considered Occean to play for us again, not because of the red card that that led him to a few game suspension but because of what he said against the coach after 2010 WCQ elimination. That being said, during the moments we all panicked about Larin's injury (and fortunately it wasn't nothing serious), those words made most sense than ever.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sose said:

The guys on the Canadian MLS teams are on the fringes... Maybe if TIebert was in form he would be called up.. but no one is really missing.  Jackson /Cavallini are the only two that are in form that are missing.

Osorio, Aird?

Quite disappointed with no Cavallini. He is a class above our other options past Larin. Hope this isn't another falling out with Floro.

Other than that delighted to welcome Arfield into the fold. Not the best kept secret but a hugely important addition to our squad.

There are a lot of good things going for our set up and it bodes well for the future. Some more prospects at CB and certainly our weakest link at RB and we are starting to have a good chance at stepping up to the two digit rankings. In turn hopefully inspiring generations to push us even further.

you canucks are saying that the current team is lacking mids,....but  ledgerwood, edgar and that STRAITH fellow from Escandinavia the all play in MIDS as holding if in need....even so Hume or Ricketts can play out wide in midfield or winger if needed

The only 2 that i got wrong were  Cavallini and Trafford i think that they are the other ones you can have there...Occean because he is not under consideration and Jackson who is coming back from the wilderness i think... Hainault and Teibert are out injured

Are you trolling or just completely lost in translation lol? How are we lacking midfielders and who here thinks that?

Absolutely have the most depth in midfield more that anywhere else. Lots coming through too. If we as strong everywhere else on the pitch we would be a shoe in for the hex.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Funny, and incredible you actually think 2nd division Spain is below 2nd division England, that Froese and Jackson are "actually playing at higher levels", what a creative little line. I don't mind any opinion but to be so categorical about, that is really poor. I think you are totally deluded: Hume plays in a higher level division than Jackson and quite likely Froese. Spain is way superior to EPL and the second to Championship, hands down. 

And Froese: not one single MLS team could stay up in La Liga, they'd all be in Div 2. Not one of the them has the professional discipline, ball play or tactical sense.

Then you do this "He's not even dressing for them at the moment" after not dressing last week, alone, one game, and compared to Jackson and Froese. I mean, Hume signed in early February, and has dressed more than Froese in the last month in official matches, and similar or bit less than Jackson.

The Championship is the best second division in the world IMO and in many others.  It's fine that you think otherwise, no need to be offended.  Hume couldn't cut it in League Two England last time I checked, not to say that's a bad level I watch it weekly.  Clearly you have bias towards Spain, that's no secret to anyone who reads these boards.  

No arguments that MLS teams wouldn't survive in La Liga.  But I think Vancouver is a higher level than Ponferradina and by "actually playing at higher levels" I meant it literally, as in they are seeing minutes... Hume isn't dressing at the moment.  

He has dressed more than Froese in the past month because Vancouver has played two matches... not a great point, Froese has played in both matches but obviously you know that as a Caps fan.  Jackson has been dressing every match for Blackburn.

4 hours ago, maccaliam said:

Perhaps this is the wine talking, but I've been thinking that maybe the fact that only 1 MLSer from a Canadian team has been called is a tactical move by Floro. Could he (along with the CSA) be saying "this is Canada's biggest match in years. but Canadian MLS teams aren't actually helping our National Program."

It would certainly put pressure on the Canadian MLS clubs, as well as add fuel to the idea that we need another solution, and a Canadian league is it.

EDIT: and I would like to add, he obviously wouldn't skip out on any integral players, but if Floro felt one or two could easily be replaced, then it makes more sense.

There is no way that a nat coach, in a crucial WCQ match, would choose a less-than-optimal line up in an effort to send a message to MLS league and team administrators.  Regardless of the specific disagreements of fans over the selection of player A vs player B, if Flo, or anyone in the CSA, endorsed the  selection of a squad that is anything less the best available team, they should be canned immediately.  There are ways and means to send a message to league administrators - tanking a WCQ match is not one of them.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

The Championship is the best second division in the world IMO and in many others.  It's fine that you think otherwise, no need to be offended.  Hume couldn't cut it in League Two England last time I checked, not to say that's a bad level I watch it weekly.  Clearly you have bias towards Spain, that's no secret to anyone who reads these boards.  

No arguments that MLS teams wouldn't survive in La Liga.  But I think Vancouver is a higher level than Ponferradina and by "actually playing at higher levels" I meant it literally, as in they are seeing minutes... Hume isn't dressing at the moment.  

He has dressed more than Froese in the past month because Vancouver has played two matches... not a great point, Froese has played in both matches but obviously you know that as a Caps fan.  Jackson has been dressing every match for Blackburn.

I agree and it is well known around the world that England has the best teams beyond the BPL compared to other nations lower leagues.

Anyway back to the team; I think it's clearly the best team we could field (taking injuries into account) in in many years. The only real exception  is Osorio and it sounds like he may be included in future teams. If we can field this team we may be the 4th best team in  CONCACAF.  I really believe we have the talent and coaching to make the Hex this time.  Floro has done a great job of combing all the best players we can gather.

I think our boys will be able to look respectable  against Mexico and we should get enough  points  to advance  past Honduras.

IMO this is the more or less the best lineup we have, yes a few are arguable but that is true of any team with even the smallest modicum of depth. Benito might have specific roles for guys so that to some of us there may be a "better" player left off. For now I'll trust him. Being able to argue about perceived good players being left off is a luxury not often afforded the Voyageur...

As far as the lack of MLS players thing (ie. Osorio, Aird) I neither find it concerning nor do i think it will always be the case.

I think it's partly a function of when this game is being played. Our MLS players will have 3 games played by Friday? That is just not the same as mid-season form. Not that that on its own should exclude anyone, just an important factor. 

8 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

There is no way that a nat coach, in a crucial WCQ match, would choose a less-than-optimal line up in an effort to send a message to MLS league and team administrators.  Regardless of the specific disagreements of fans over the selection of player A vs player B, if Flo, or anyone in the CSA, endorsed the  selection of a squad that is anything less the best available team, they should be canned immediately.  There are ways and means to send a message to league administrators - tanking a WCQ match is not one of them.

To start with, remember I did say I had a fair bit of wine in me before posting, and I totally agree with the general idea of what you are saying. I would like to say though that last night I was saying that the fringe guys (ie. James vs someone who actually plays LB provide coverage for De Jong, such as Morgan) would hardly constitute tanking a WCQ match, nor would that be considered a less-than-optimal line-up. 

I realise my post may have sounded far more conspiratorial than I had intended, but Pinot Noir is not a particularly good editorial partner. 

45 minutes ago, sose said:

Osorio as much as I like his play does not fit into floros system or plans.. They are both on the fringes

I always hear this but can somebody explain why he "does not" fit the system.

2 hours ago, Markus said:

Benito might have specific roles for guys so that to some of us there may be a "better" player left off.

This.  He recognizes that he has a whole bunch of role players in his player pool and has built a club mentality around the guys he feels most comfortable with on the defensive side of things.  I think he has more WE mentality guys who will do whatever jobs they're instructed to do.

53 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I always hear this but can somebody explain why he "does not" fit the system.

The three mids Floro uses are just as good defensively as they are offensively.  Floro needs the line of 3 centre mids to be disciplined defensively, work as unit, and attack at the right times.  

Osorio is not yet a strong two way mid.  His defensive game and work rate is not on par to Johnson or deGuz, Atiba is on a whole different planet.  

That being said, if Osorio plays in the 3 man midfield at TFC, and if he holds his spot and is not displaced by Cheyrou, I think he gets called for the September games.  

15 hours ago, maccaliam said:

Perhaps this is the wine talking, but I've been thinking that maybe the fact that only 1 MLSer from a Canadian team has been called is a tactical move by Floro. Could he (along with the CSA) be saying "this is Canada's biggest match in years. but Canadian MLS teams aren't actually helping our National Program."

It would certainly put pressure on the Canadian MLS clubs, as well as add fuel to the idea that we need another solution, and a Canadian league is it.

EDIT: and I would like to add, he obviously wouldn't skip out on any integral players, but if Floro felt one or two could easily be replaced, then it makes more sense.

From my vantage point I think that only having 1 MLS player from the 3 Canadian clubs really means that the Canadian clubs are not developing good enough talent for Canada to compete with the likes of Mexico or the USA. 

With the roster that was called up, we have one player developed by TFC (Henry), one player developed by the Impact (Ouimette) and two players developed by the Whitecaps in their pre MLS days (Haber and Straith). Are any of these players going to start? Straith might have a shot, but the others will probably not. And that is really disappointing, given the 20 years combined these academies have been around.

Even looking at the players developed by these clubs that are on the fringes who could have been called: Teibert, Lefevre, Tissot, Morgan, Adekugbe; none of these players are anywhere near our best 11. Osorio's time at the TFC academy was very brief so I'm not including him in this list, and he's not near our best 11 either.

I do agree that this adds fuel to the fact that Canada desperately needs it's own league to develop talent that can compete internationally. But it's not due to Floro selectively choosing who not to call. It's simply that the talent the Canadian clubs are developing isn't good enough to compete internationally against top opponents. 

9 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

The three mids Floro uses are just as good defensively as they are offensively.  Floro needs the line of 3 centre mids to be disciplined defensively, work as unit, and attack at the right times.  

Osorio is not yet a strong two way mid.  His defensive game and work rate is not on par to Johnson or deGuz, Atiba is on a whole different planet.  

That being said, if Osorio plays in the 3 man midfield at TFC, and if he holds his spot and is not displaced by Cheyrou, I think he gets called for the September games.  

Further to that, Floro's system is a high pressure system for everyone not on the back line.  You have to be able to put the ball carrier under pressure at all times and this is why guys who can run for days (like Ricketts) see a fair bit of time under Floro.

2 hours ago, maccaliam said:

To start with, remember I did say I had a fair bit of wine in me before posting, and I totally agree with the general idea of what you are saying. I would like to say though that last night I was saying that the fringe guys (ie. James vs someone who actually plays LB provide coverage for De Jong, such as Morgan) would hardly constitute tanking a WCQ match, nor would that be considered a less-than-optimal line-up. 

I realise my post may have sounded far more conspiratorial than I had intended, but Pinot Noir is not a particularly good editorial partner. 

Yeah, I was absolutely hammered when I posted.  Disregard.  I should avoid the interwebs in that condition.

The big reason Floro doesn't rate Osorio is that his defensive effort isn't as strong as our existing midfielders.  Floro values defense first and offensive flair 2nd.  Osorio is an attacking midfielder first and foremost.  He's improving as a defensive midfielder but he doesn't have the defensive instincts to be effective in this system.  

Archived