The 23-man squad vs Mexico. (your picks, speculation & confirmed call-ups)

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing to me Hume has fought his way back into the team, and at a time where we've got the best options we've ever had!

Just to be clear, not that I don't think he deserves it, I'm just genuinely amazed he's done it!

18 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Still need to see guys like....the better IMO, but hey at least no Bekker so that's a start. The day we start picking guys with talent rather than the run all day type of guys will be the day that this country has advanced in the game.

I find these two thoughts one after another incredibly funny.

4 minutes ago, michaeltfc91 said:

Is it just me or this roster isn't really good after the starting XI? How can Hume, James, Vitoria, Ledgerwood, Piette and Haber make the roster?? We have legit MLS players starting for clubs not getting on the roster, but these no-namers are on. Osorio MLS starter, Aird MLS starter, Froese MLS starter, Morgan MLS sub, Jackson Hamel MLS sub, Bekker MLS sub not on the roster. That doesn't make much sense these guys have played MLS minutes but those guys I mentioned are in league not even comparable. Simeon Jackson has been scoring at the Championship level, Cavallini in Uruguay and they aren't there? I don't know but I would have made a lot of changes although everyone's starting XI is in there at least

It's always been like that though. At least we're getting some decent attacking options now.

in addition to your list of James, Hume, Vitoria, Piette, Haber and Ledgerwood I would add Rickets.

7 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Have to stop picking guys that are playing in these lower leagues or unattached over guys playing in higher leagues.

So who should we be picking that plays in the Premier League, La Liga or Serie A? 

17 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Larin wears #21 with the club, and has started ahead of Haber almost every time they've both been in the squad. I wouldn't make anything of it.

He switched to #9 with Orlando this year.

Also, I'm glad my Larin #21 jersey is relevant again. Huzzah!

To say Piette or even Vitoria are no namers is absured. And some of these guys like ledgerwood and ricketts even bekker, while maybe not as sexy in skill they tend to work really hard on the field. Some of the MLS players who havent been called dont play much(Jackson-Hamel and Morgan play garbage minutes if that) and Osorio has never been anything significant for Canada, hes a ghost in most games he has played for Canada.

The key thing about this squad is we have players who can attack in the final third, on both sides and up the middle, up high or from the midfield. So we better attack when we can, play both ways and not just defend. Because our talent right now is slightly better in the attacking midfield and striking positions than anywhere else.

The game plan with that squad is to try to catch Mexico by surprise, get a goal, and hang on for dear life. 

1 minute ago, shermanator said:

Also, some are ragging on the Haber inclusion, but are forgetting that after Larin, he's been arguably our most in-form forward for the last 2 years. Hume has been in-form in India but largely forgettable in his play in Europe.

cavallini

Just now, shermanator said:

Also, some are ragging on the Haber inclusion, but are forgetting that after Larin, he's been arguably our most in-form forward for the last 2 years. Hume has been in-form in India but largely forgettable in his play in Europe.

Hume has actually played about 2 games total the last month, so I don't think we can judge his form quite yet. 

But yes, I agree that Cavallini and Jackson would have been more deserving. That said, sometimes you have to call in senior players because of their work with the team, because they'll accept a sub or bench with a positive attitude, while others can't handle it and can hurt your overall team spirit. Hume is that kind of player.

We only get 3 subs, it is hard to play Hume for any more than a few minutes in any scenario, either match.

Archived