The 23-man squad vs Mexico. (your picks, speculation & confirmed call-ups)

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll give it a shot. Here's who I would like to see:

Strikers- Larin, Haber, Jackson

Mids- Hoilett, Hutchinson, Arfield, Johnson, Akindele, de Guzman, Ricketts, Piette, Osorio

Backs- Edgar, de Jong, Aird, Straith, Henry, Ouimette, Jakovic, Ledgerwood

Keepers- Borjan, Stamatopoulos, Crepeau

Shocked that James and Haber have been called. Assuming both true this is how I see the roster playing out (Floro's picks, not mine)

Strikers- Larin, Haber

Mids- Hoilett, Hutchinson, Arfield, Johnson, Akindele, de Guzman, Ricketts, Piette, Kianz, Teibert

Backs- Edgar, de Jong, Aird, Straith, James, Vitoria, Jakovic, Ledgerwood

Keepers- Borjan, Stamatopoulos, Crepeau

This is the roster I want to see.

Strikers: Larin, Cavallini, Jackson

Attacking Mids: Hoilett, Arfield, Akindele, Ricketts/Osorio/Teibert (2 of the 3)

Defensive Mids: Hutchinson, Johnson, De Guzman, Piette

Fullbacks: De Jong, Adekugbe, Aird, Ouimette

Center backs: Edgar, Henry, Vitoria, Hainault

Goalkeepers: Borjan, Stama, Crepeau

8 hours ago, Addona said:

Wow, I'm surprised to see James called ... just wow.  It seems as though Hainault is hurt, but still.

I like that pick.  He's got a fair bit of upside and from what I saw of him last year he looks to have the goods.

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Larin, Haber, Cavallini

Hoilett, Arfield, Ricketts, Akindele

Hutchinson, deGuzman, Johnson, Piette, Teibert

DeJong, Ledgerwood, Aird

Edgar, Jakovic, Straith, Ouimette, James

Borjan, Stamatapolous, Crepeau

I wouldn't be surprised if this is exactly what we see, though I would love to see Simon Thomas in camp as well.

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Larin, Haber, Cavallini

DeJong, Ledgerwood, Aird

Switch Piette for Froese (he's the man being hyped now) and you'll probably have the most accurate Floro list.

10 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I'm guessing Leutwiler is in the squad.

I want to guess that too, along with Simon Thomas considering he will be playing. 

1. Borjan

2. Thomas

3. Leutwiler

With Crepeau's recent concussion, I wonder if that hinders a call up.

16 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I want to guess that too, along with Simon Thomas considering he will be playing. 

1. Borjan

2. Thomas

3. Leutwiler

With Crepeau's recent concussion, I wonder if that hinders a call up.

can't see stamma being left off.

4 minutes ago, king1010 said:

can't see stamma being left off.

Neither... But that would be logical based on who's playing right now. 

It seems absurd that we would call 3 GKs and none of them have played competitive matches in 2016. 

I'm not sure why people are surprised about Haber. He's not going to score a bag full of goals, but he has skills that other forwards on this team don't possess in abundance.

Here's the case for Haber:

• has been in many camps so he knows Floro and the program
  • he is a central forward. The only other one we have is Larin.
  • is a regular starter at a decent level (League One)
  • probably the best aerial threat on the team
  • better hold up play than Larin, Akindele, etc.

Of those last two traits, the former is useful for set pieces, especially when you're chasing the game, and the latter is a useful skill-set to have when absorbing pressure and defending a lead.

I won't be happy if he starts but there is absolutely a place for him in a 23-man squad.

4 minutes ago, jonovision said:

better hold up play than Larin, Akindele, etc.

Yes! I'm sure his hold up play is exactly the reason he gets all his calls... hell... probably the reason he starts at club level too, though I don't follow league one/him at club level so can't comment directly.

He also wasn't entirely useless last game. A surprise to me as he has been absolute turbo shite in every other match I have seen him play for Canada. I am not a fan at all - clearly.....BUT, he did make a positive impact last game so maybe something is there, I just haven't seen it in the games I have watched over the past couple of years.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

I'm not sure why people are surprised about Haber. He's not going to score a bag full of goals, but he has skills that other forwards on this team don't possess in abundance.

Here's the case for Haber:

• has been in many camps so he knows Floro and the program
  • he is a central forward. The only other one we have is Larin.
  • is a regular starter at a decent level (League One)
  • probably the best aerial threat on the team
  • better hold up play than Larin, Akindele, etc.

Of those last two traits, the former is useful for set pieces, especially when you're chasing the game, and the latter is a useful skill-set to have when absorbing pressure and defending a lead.

I won't be happy if he starts but there is absolutely a place for him in a 23-man squad.

Your 3rd point is kind of misleading. It should be he is a starter for a team about to get relegated to league 2.

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

He also wasn't entirely useless last game. A surprise to me as he has been absolute turbo shite in every other match I have seen him play for Canada. I am not a fan at all - clearly.....BUT, he did make a positive impact last game so maybe something is there, I just haven't seen it in the games I have watched over the past couple of years.

I thought he had a very solid substitute appearance in Vancouver. 

7 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Larin, Haber, Cavallini

DeJong, Ledgerwood, Aird

I think you're almost spot on but I can't see Cavallini being called (especially with Haber confirmed) and I think we'll  see Froese in the team.  

I'm not sure about Aird either, I don't think he fits Floro's mould for RB.  I think Ledgerwood and Ouimette are the right backs of choice and we'll see Henry or Vitoria instead.  

39 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I think you're almost spot on but I can't see Cavallini being called (especially with Haber confirmed) and I think we'll  see Froese in the team.  

I'm not sure about Aird either, I don't think he fits Floro's mould for RB.  I think Ledgerwood and Ouimette are the right backs of choice and we'll see Henry or Vitoria instead.  

Cavallini was initially called last time, so for that reason alone I think he'll be given another chance to prove himself.  3 strikers isnt too many if you want to have a look at one of them.

I really like Froese, thought he did well against the US.  If he is called I think the logical drop is Teibert.  It all depends who is playing, and it seems Teibert is going to be taking on added responsibility this year in Van with Koffie leaving.  Same goes with Aird.  If he doesnt start the first 3 games of the season he shouldnt be called in.  

Henry and Vitoria are not getting regular minutes but are still worthy call ups, this is why I was surprised to hear about Manjrekar James.  I dont see Henry or Vitoria being called in over Straith, and Ouimette is cover at fullback so you dont drop him either.

Petrasso and Jackson are two other guys Id like to see on the team, but I can't seem to fit them in the roster.     

Another issue is my roster has no cover at left back for deJong.  Adekugbe and Morgan are ok but are too inexperienced for Mexico's wingers.  We are a mess at full back right now.   

Further:

If either Ouimette or Aird get regular minutes in MLS, I'd consider starting either over Ledgerwood, who will still be in pre season on March 25th, and at a lower level.  Is Ledgerwood's experience enough to keep the younger guys on the bench?  

DeGuzman is a similar concern.  He will be 35 years old on March 25th.  Sooner or later, he will be too old to keep up with international football.  Do we play him until it is obvious and risk him having a bad game in a situation we cannot afford anyone having a bad game in, or do we get proactive and move on?  

This leads to the question of where we play Arfield.  We could play him on the right for RIcketts, or if we play him centrally, we can drop deGuzman and gain a more dynamic player in the middle. Perhaps this comes down to who is the bigger liability: an aging deGuzman still in preseason mode, or Ricketts who offers little in attack, but knows Floro's game, defends when needed and is the fittest player on the team?

Archived