Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

16 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Just saw he tweeted Alphonso but got no respones? Is it because of Adidas/MLS I wonder? The kid should go for it. 

Yeah not sure what happened with that. Nike is definitely top when it comes to exposure. Seeing a Canadian in one of their famous world cup ad's would be amazing 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Davies vs Jakovic down the flank tonight, whitecaps vs Lafc. Should be a fun and interesting watch tonight.

LAFC looks to be lining up as a 3-4-3, some whispers about our men's team playing with 3 at the back. I'm interested to see how Jakovic holds up vs the pace and strength of Davies and the pace of Hurtado. 

2 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Davies vs Jakovic down the flank tonight, whitecaps vs Lafc. Should be a fun and interesting watch tonight.

LAFC looks to be lining up as a 3-4-3, some whispers about our men's team playing with 3 at the back. I'm interested to see how Jakovic holds up vs the pace and strength of Davies and the pace of Hurtado. 

Luckily for Jakovic, Carl "I've got no plan B" Robinson came up with his own method of neutralizing Daivies

Man I just don't get Carl Robinson.

I mean, you are down 2-0 in the second half. You have only a few players capable of creating something, and arguably the best of them on the team, Alphonso Davies, is stuck at LB.

Like I really don't understand this.

If he was a left wing back in a 3-5-2 pushed up high, then sure. But no, he was playing full back.

Vancouver, you are not going to win the game with your most dangerous players far away from goal.

What next, Jordi Reyna at RB?

Frusturated for Davies.

Good on him for having a good attitude about this.

There is a silver lining in that he is learning multiple positions, but there is a time and place, like you know, when they have the lead? NOT when they are chasing the game.

Stupid.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Man I just don't get Carl Robinson.

I mean, you are down 2-0 in the second half. You have only a few players capable of creating something, and arguably the best of them on the team, Alphonso Davies, is stuck at LB.

Like I really don't understand this.

If he was a left wing back in a 3-5-2 pushed up high, then sure. But no, he was playing full back.

Vancouver, you are not going to win the game with your most dangerous players far away from goal.

What next, Jordi Reyna at RB?

Frusturated for Davies.

Good on him for having a good attitude about this.

There is a silver lining in that he is learning multiple positions, but there is a time and place, like you know, when they have the lead? NOT when they are chasing the game.

Stupid.

100% agree! Seriously, Davies needs to GTFO as soon as he turns 18. 

And speaking of Reyna... don't even know where he was supposed to be playing tonight?

Robinson doesn't have a clue. Painful to watch. No one really knows what they're supposed to be doing and little wonder perfectly skilled players somehow can't put more than 2 back passes together before aimlessly hoofing it back to the other team.

Not exactly the best development environment to say the least.

The Caps looked pretty clueless last night.  It seemed like the main tactic was to punt it up and have the fast guys chase it - or at least some of the fast guys since Davies wasn't usually up there.

My concern is that this style of attack is probably the worst for his development.  It definitely plays to one of his strangths in that he is fast and may win some of those foot races (when in an attacking role), but if wont help him develop the other tools he will need.  

Robinson is a dear, a nice fellow, and that keeps Lenarduzzi happy; and if Bobby is happy, the owners are happy. 

The wake up call in its easiest form is to hire a minimally 21th century manager, which would improve things a lot, with the same squad.

If they can't do that, Lenarduzzi should be let go and someone with experience and an idea of winning be put in his place. And he'd fire Robinson, in a flash. 

But if that does not work, the current owners should just sell, since they clearly do not want to win, don't want to grow, have no ambition for the team, they are spinning their wheels. Sell to someone with the vision for a major, winning team, who will fire Lenarduzzi, hire someone who would can Robinson, and we'd at least give it a chance. 

So the easiest thing to do: let Robbo go, cry a few nights over those dreamy blue eyes and those big lashes. Then get on with it with someone who can make the team play quality football in MLS. 

Yeah, this team is far too one-dimensional. I saw nothing in terms of fresh creative ideas out there. Davies had a few moments that were electric, but LAFC and Robbo did a great job of neutralizing him.

I know it is still early and that we are missing some key players, but despite a couple of solid away performances I am not seeing much to be hopeful about.  Reyna needs to start, once fully healthy. I appreciate Felipe, and he has a role to play, but he is a bit slow and not especially dynamic. Reyna did not have much of the ball, but I liked what I saw when he did have it. 

I am worried that Robbo does not know how to get this team playing effective offense. 

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Robinson is a dear, a nice fellow, and that keeps Lenarduzzi happy; and if Bobby is happy, the owners are happy. 

The wake up call in its easiest form is to hire a minimally 21th century manager, which would improve things a lot, with the same squad.

If they can't do that, Lenarduzzi should be let go and someone with experience and an idea of winning be put in his place. And he'd fire Robinson, in a flash. 

But if that does not work, the current owners should just sell, since they clearly do not want to win, don't want to grow, have no ambition for the team, they are spinning their wheels. Sell to someone with the vision for a major, winning team, who will fire Lenarduzzi, hire someone who would can Robinson, and we'd at least give it a chance. 

So the easiest thing to do: let Robbo go, cry a few nights over those dreamy blue eyes and those big lashes. Then get on with it with someone who can make the team play quality football in MLS. 

It's sad because it's one of the better markets attendance wise and the fans deserve better.

7 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

why aren't the fans putting pressure on the club to make a coaching change?

The pressure's been on Robbo and the club on Twitter for quite a while, and last night the Caps were booed off the pitch for the first time I can really recall. I think it's getting there

People forget that Vancouver is not a winning city, and not a winning market. It is not a market of sports excellence, based on results of other teams. I think this is fair because we can all think of markets that have a winning mentality, or usually. 

Of course, there are cycles, like the way that Toronto seems to be turning things around. Not just TFC, but that Raptor's season. And the will to get the Jays deep into October every year. That has to be the mentality, and not all execs and FOs are up to it. Some are unable, others are simply incompetent.

The most irritating thing is that Lenarduzzi was not like this before MLS, he did have more edge and was critical and we did feel we could always expect Caps to be tough and a good product. But he's reached the level of his own incompetence, I think there is no doubt about that, Peter Principle at work (whose author lived in Vancouver BTW). What is sad is how there is the idea he should be perpetuated, when there is no justification in pro sports to treat anyone with such deference in the face of poor performance.

29 minutes ago, gator said:

I didn't watch the match, just the highlights, another poor match from the Caps by the looks of things, what the hell was the keeper doing on the 2nd goal?

yeah agree. He has to take command of that situation and call off Kendall

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Could not agree more, Jeffrey! The 'Caps were clearly on the wrong end of the tactics spectrum last night. They were predictable, and unimaginative. Davies at the back is ludicrous. I will propose that Shea looks the part and should probably start in partnership with Kamara. Hurtado, last night's lone striker and the latest to be hung out to dry, was not effective, as has been clearly shown time and again in Robinson's set up.  Yes, it is time for a progressive change, and come out from under the spell of the smooth UH voice.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

And of course we shouldn't forget his dapper sweater collection... ;) 

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

why aren't the fans putting pressure on the club to make a coaching change?

Too early, at least with respect to this season. The average fan is not paying close attention to Robbo's abilities as a coach--yet.  If the team flails for the next 6 to so games, then the fans will start pressuring for change by not buying tickets. Keep in mind that the Caps had, by modest measures, a good season last year.  And a decent start this year.  Why would the average fan call for his head so quickly?

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

People forget that Vancouver is not a winning city, and not a winning market. It is not a market of sports excellence, based on results of other teams. I think this is fair because we can all think of markets that have a winning mentality, or usually. 

Of course, there are cycles, like the way that Toronto seems to be turning things around. Not just TFC, but that Raptor's season. And the will to get the Jays deep into October every year. That has to be the mentality, and not all execs and FOs are up to it. Some are unable, others are simply incompetent.

The most irritating thing is that Lenarduzzi was not like this before MLS, he did have more edge and was critical and we did feel we could always expect Caps to be tough and a good product. But he's reached the level of his own incompetence, I think there is no doubt about that, Peter Principle at work (whose author lived in Vancouver BTW). What is sad is how there is the idea he should be perpetuated, when there is no justification in pro sports to treat anyone with such deference in the face of poor performance.

While I tend to agree with much of what you have to say on these forums, much of what you write here is grossly overgeneralized.  The Caps won the league title in the A-league a number of times. BC Lions have won the Grey Cup a number of times. Canada performed well in the Vancouver/Whistler Winter Games. (Okay, maybe I am pushing things with that example.)  The Canucks have never won the Stanley Cup, but they got to game 7 of the finals at least once.  The Canucks, for a period of several years, was among the top three or four teams in the league. 

So the better question is WHY do the Caps operate like a small-market team? Why have they not pursued a better manager? I suspect it has nothing to do with the city's (lack of a) winning mentality and sports excellence. I think it has everything to do with the Caps' strategic plan and their relatively shallow pockets.  While I remain skeptical of Robbo's ability to get this team playing more dynamic and varied football, I also wonder WHOM he'd sign if ownership gave him the financial support required to land a couple of remarkable DPs.  

I DO feel that the Duz is probably in over his head. But like everyone in the Caps' organization, he's probably the more affordable option.

People forget that the Canadian MLS teams earn Canadian dollars and pay out in US dollars. So I can imagine for teams like Vancouver and Montreal they are sort of at a disadvantage even if attendance is decent. Toronto has MLSE to go all out.

Not an expert but I recall everyone shitting all over Robinson during the rough beginning last year, writing the team off early, and yet if I recall correctly they turned it around and made the playoffs.  Surely Robinson must be at some level capable?  He’s not Pochettino but he must on some level be minimally talented. Reading the hatred for him on here you would think he should be doing U12 somewhere in Wales.

5 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Not an expert but I recall everyone shitting all over Robinson during the rough beginning last year, writing the team off early, and yet if I recall correctly they turned it around and made the playoffs.  Surely Robinson must be at some level capable?  He’s not Pochettino but he must on some level be minimally talented. Reading the hatred for him on here you would think he should be doing U12 somewhere in Wales.

And Robbo was getting some coach of the year Buzz by the seasons end.  But its all about what you've done lately.  There is alot of hate for him which I also get but I cant understand him taking his best offensive prospect and apparently trying to make him into a LB.  I woke up in a cold sweat last night after a dream of Robbo making Davies into a CB and Vanney starting Ben Soencer against CHivas. 

Archived